"30.7 for Condos" new Magnepan idea?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
"30.7 for Condos" new Magnepan idea?
« on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:58 pm »
Read of this over at A.A. site in MUG users group. But I cannot post there due to issues with A.A. for myself. So I thought I would bring it here to also get some comments.
There is an ad in TAS for the new idea. I stole the pic from MUG.

My concern is if this is for condos, that is a living arrangement something like: "folks (strangers) living in close proximity" which means the giant bass they seem to be offering is anathema to condo and apartment living. Anyone with a proximate neighbors wall adjoining this bass monster is going to have serious problems with their neighbors as soon as the thumping hits them where they reside.

I live in a building with close (adjacent) strangers living on the other side of my wall, and above and below my listening area.. where my Magnepan 20.7s reside.
I am particularly careful to not allow the bass to get too loud.  When I bought the 20.7s to replace the previous 3.6 Maggies I had, I was concerned about the bass being 'too much' for my living quarters. This has been a small challenge, and I really feel I cannot play some Rock material, due to the excessive bass. 
With my experimenting with exotic wood, I have now and then increased the bass out of proportion, and really had to go back and find a solution. (Primarily I found African Blackwood to really be a big booster of the bass, under nearly any equipment)

If Magnepan is looking for comments and advice about a new design to offer "30.7 capabilities in a condo size" this problem of 'too much bass' going through adjoining walls should also be addressed.

One of the greatest ASSETS of the current Magnepan bass is it does not go through walls nearly as much as cone woofer bass! When I was auditioning 20.7s to consider them.. I cranked up some hard rocking music, went outside the showroom and CLOSED THE DOOR... to listen to what happened to the bass leaking from the room... And was pleasantly surprised almost nothing was thumping outside the room.
So the guys at Magnepan should realize this.. If they go big on a cone woofer design, they may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.. Though I know a LOT of guys just love gut massage bass... Most Women have no real use for it (other than a possible ego massaging their significant other...)
I write this so Josh might pass my concern along to the 'powers that be' at Magnepan.
Plus the fact there are great dipole woofer designs around Audio Circle. hint hint.

Anyway, that is my two cents on a cone bass driver wedded to Magnepans, to be for 'smaller spaces' (My 20.7s are at the short wall end of a room only 11' 8" wide. and are just fine.)
I had some issues with going too lean over constantly seeking out greater clarity, but my experiments with butcher blocks and exotic wood has totally alleviated that, to the point I am tring to lessen the bass a little, so I can play some Rock I find has too much bass to be comfortable.

Other companies are moving to a quasi magnepan style mid drivers, with a dipole cone woofer, So I can see Magnepan wanting some of the action to stay in their camp.
Anyway, thoughts?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: "30.7 for Condos" new Magnepan idea?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2019, 11:35 pm »
It looks like rumors of a smaller 30.7 are coming true.
Smaller price tag, too, I trust.

Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:28 am »
The actual speaker they are planning to take around the country sort of the way they took the 30.7 around...  is a 'test mule' and not a finalized device. Apparently they want folks input before the final design is created.

jaylevine

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2019, 08:09 pm »

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2019, 08:13 pm »
I'd buy that,

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2019, 08:31 pm »
  Very impressive. Brilliant actually.

charles

jaylevine

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2019, 08:51 pm »
  Very impressive. Brilliant actually.

charles

I'm not sure I get it--is this anything more than a small sub with DSP coupled to the midrange/high main panels? Or am I missing something?

Also, wasn't the DWM Bass Panel, which I almost purchased but didn't, claim to be the answer to filling in any missing bass freq with Maggies?

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2019, 10:19 pm »
I'd buy because the main module is not so giant.  I've owned 3 series Maggies before and love them, but they are large.  DWM or new blended open baffle fine with me.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2019, 01:05 am »
So it's 8 cone drivers mounted on the outside of a three foot high V-shaped column plus two scaled down 30.7 panels for the midrange on up that Wendell is posing with?

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2019, 02:01 am »
I wonder if companies are looking for what can sell in Asia. I mean a months ago amp on cover of an audio magazine was gold and red... Come on.. who is gonna buy a gold and red $$$$$$$ amp other than the Chinese??? (sorry to be labeling) Then the new (garish) VPI monster turntable.. Ugly, but I bet it is really for the Chinese market. Same thing for the crazy priced new old stock Garrard 301 arriving from SME.
Consider the Chinese market alone is easily twice the US and EU!!!
So I wonder if the new idea from Magnepan is fueled by the Asian market?     
And then I think Magnepan guys really really loved wandering around to all the Maggie dealers, and just want a second go at it?

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2019, 02:42 am »
I think this has been in demand for years and years.
The sound of the true ribbon models in a smaller size.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2019, 01:56 pm »
I really enjoyed my year with 1.6's.  Best sound I have ever owned.

But, my cats climbed them so I had to sell them (the speakers in this case!).

Not everyone can handle room dividers as speakers, so a smaller version should be helpful.

I still need to see these to actually understand their size - compared to the .7's as an example?

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2019, 08:02 pm »
So it's 8 cone drivers mounted on the outside of a three foot high V-shaped column plus two scaled down 30.7 panels for the midrange on up that Wendell is posing with?

Actually, I think the panels are the size of 20.7's and Wendell just got bigger. :-)

josh358

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2019, 08:04 pm »
I really enjoyed my year with 1.6's.  Best sound I have ever owned.

But, my cats climbed them so I had to sell them (the speakers in this case!).

Not everyone can handle room dividers as speakers, so a smaller version should be helpful.

I still need to see these to actually understand their size - compared to the .7's as an example?
Did you see the picture on the Absolute Sound site? According to the specs, they're a few inches narrower and a few inches taller than the .7.

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2019, 07:48 pm »
I would love to hear these!  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2019, 11:37 pm »
I guess Wendell bulked up a lot doing that 30.7 tour.
Steroids helped, too, I suspect. 
The Planarator, I'll be back...