B&w 805 D2 Crossover upgrade

Patapong

B&w 805 D2 Crossover upgrade
« on: 1 Nov 2021, 02:34 pm »
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my B&W 805 D2 crossovers. From what found, there are only 3 components in each speaker. This should be pretty easy project.

My budget is around 1000$.
Thank you

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: B&w 805 D2 Crossover upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2021, 12:06 am »
What do you like about this speaker? What would you like to improve? Do you use the jumper in the tweeter circuit? Have you confirmed the values on the schematic with what is actually in the speaker? How long have you owned them?

Patapong

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2021, 12:49 am »
I bought this speakers in 2012. I will have my technician confirm the value next week.

I use this speakers with LFD NCSE integrated amp and the LFD speaker cable. The cable is as show in attached picture since I do not know how to explain.

Actually, I am rather pleased with the sound. It is fast, transparent with decent bass. I had my technician upgrade the amp with resister, step attenuator, WBT RCA and bidding post. I think it is a good idea to do it at the same time. If I have to say to improve, the sound sometimes can be little bit bright with some sources.

Patapong

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2021, 09:34 am »
PS. No jumper in tweeter circuit.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2021, 01:28 am »
I will have my technician confirm the value next week.

While we wait, I'll opine...

Actually, I am rather pleased with the sound. It is fast, transparent with decent bass.

If it ain't broke... :wink:

If I have to say to improve, the sound sometimes can be little bit bright with some sources.

OK, we have a goal/direction.  However, I see a problem changing XO components.  The Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil that is supposedly installed is very warm.  Most caps would be brighter.  Do the SGOs have weakness?  Sure, but none could contribute to your complaint.  Further, a warmer/richer cap would be very large.  Too large for the cabinet.  You would have to go external XO.  Given your general approval of the speaker now, such money may be hard to justify.  A coil will not help what you have listed.

I had my technician upgrade the amp with resister, step attenuator, WBT RCA and bidding post. I think it is a good idea to do it at the same time.

Binding posts might be nice, but use something that takes you in your desired direction.  If the resistor is not jumped, I would consider replacing it if it is a film type.  I find them nasally sounding.  It does not directly apply to your complaint, but would help with the final solution.  What is the final solution, I do not think it is in the speaker.

I think you could do more with your integrated.  You could use some warmer diodes in the PS.  I see a couple of red (wima?) coupling caps?  Also, you could do better with your speaker wire.  As in more conducive to the sound you are looking for.  What does your room look like?

Patapong

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2021, 05:10 am »
I am still waiting the answer from my technician.

The red coupling in integrated are ERO MKC 1862 polycarbonate cap at 0.33uF 100V. The volume pot was replaced with TKD step attenuator and the binding post is WBT Cu Nextgen now.

The room is pretty odd dimension. The ceiling height is 4.5 meter. From the right wall to left cupboard is around 4 meter. It was 7.5 meter in the length.

TV between the speaker stand is 60”. The speakers are 1.8 meter apart. Sofa is at 4 meter from the front wall.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2021, 05:11 am »
Knowing no more than we do, I'd recommend a pair of these: https://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/miflex-kpcu-03-033uf-250vdc-copper-foil-polypaper-in-oil-p-5365  Probably the best move all around besides being the best bang for the buck  :wink: