Where to buy vinyl of all kinds on the web?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: Where to buy vinyl of all kinds on the web?
« Reply #60 on: 8 Oct 2018, 04:34 pm »
I stopped by a yard sale in a regular suburban neighborhood on my way to the office one Saturday.  They had boxes and boxes of lps, but I didn't have time to dig through them.  Later in the day I stopped back when they were about to close shop and picked out several that looked promising.  On a whim I asked how much for the lot, they said $30, I countered $20, sold.  I sold a couple hundred undesirables to a used record shop for close to what I paid and scored a few hundred for myself for virtually free.  I dig through them and clean them up from time to time, best score I ever made.  Don't discount estate and yard sales if you're willing to accept less than perfect.

I just want a vendor that has cheap records ($1-2, $3-4, etc.) that I can grab several 12's and maybe a couple of LP's and get the exact stuff I want and not have to deal with driving around and not finding anything because they are already pick through by guys like you or record dealers.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #61 on: 8 Oct 2018, 06:25 pm »
not have to deal with driving around and not finding anything because they are already pick through by guys like you or record dealers.
I have, in the past, found 100% of ALL advertised records for sale, or even records I was told about by co workers, to have been seriously cherry picked. What I got to see was the junk no one else wanted. (and the person selling gushing how wonderful the person was who owned them, and took such good care of them, and yes of course no one else has seen them.) as I look at scratched up junk, no one would take for free. Not even one interesting title or artist or label, scratched or not! Gee, how odd... Yeah right.
So I also have stopped going to Goodwill, or any thrift, or even Half Price Books. Because there is nothing to find worth bothering with. (at least for me. I used to have 13,000 LPs 2/3 Classical, and dumped them. So not a chance I would rebuy something I THREW AWAY years ago. But if I found that treasure of Mercury 90000s or original and still pristine Blue Note...

Denverhifi

« Reply #62 on: 8 Oct 2018, 09:15 pm »
Nobody has mentioned ReverbLP.com.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #63 on: 8 Oct 2018, 09:22 pm »
Nobody has mentioned ReverbLP.com.

I just looked at it. It looks like a form of Discogs.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #64 on: 9 Oct 2018, 10:47 pm »
We have a sticky already for Jazz LP's, but why not start one for ALL LP's (new or used) .

So, come on fella's, where on the worldwide web (or Mail Order) do you get your vinyl jollies?  aa

I've found a lot of LP's on amazon. I look vintage jazz LP"s  London phase 4 LP's or others that I like.

Cheers
                                                         Charlie

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #65 on: 10 Oct 2018, 01:16 am »
I just want a vendor that has cheap records ($1-2, $3-4, etc.) that I can grab several 12's and maybe a couple of LP's and get the exact stuff I want and not have to deal with driving around and not finding anything because they are already pick through by guys like you or record dealers.

Half the fun is the hunt; finding an unexpected stash of good stuff.  Years ago I found most of the original Living Presence Mercury catalog of Frederick Fennell's Eastman Band music.   I was smiling for two weeks after that. :thumb:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 10 Oct 2018, 06:01 am »
Half the fun is the hunt; finding an unexpected stash of good stuff.  Years ago I found most of the original Living Presence Mercury catalog of Frederick Fennell's Eastman Band music.   I was smiling for two weeks after that. :thumb:

Lately, only time I dig is during Capitol Audio Fest, or that rare time I am near a record store.

I am not an audiophile, so the majority I am looking for is 80's and 90's (and some of it I can't afford the rareness price).

scericson

« Reply #67 on: 7 Sep 2020, 02:07 pm »
I didn't see Discogs.com listed for used, Acoustic Sounds for new.

joaor100

« Reply #68 on: 27 Sep 2020, 05:58 pm »
For those of us in europe Dodax and juno.co.uk are 2 of the most interesting options for buying new.

Sajgre

« Reply #69 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:59 pm »
German site: www.jpc.de

sanlanman

« Reply #70 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:35 am »
ReverbLP is dead. If I can't find what I am looking for in the used market locally or regionally, I check Ebay, Discogs, or Musicstack. Amazon can be hit or miss and is a crap shoot if the wanted LP has been repressed/released under different versions. Not enough info on Amazon listings to know what you are REALLY getting.

Edited to add: there is a new online source called https://vinylom.com/ thats trying to replace reverblp.com. I have not used them, and their listings are a little hard to filter through.

sanlanman

« Reply #71 on: 6 Feb 2022, 04:48 am »
I have, in the past, found 100% of ALL advertised records for sale, or even records I was told about by co workers, to have been seriously cherry picked. What I got to see was the junk no one else wanted. (and the person selling gushing how wonderful the person was who owned them, and took such good care of them, and yes of course no one else has seen them.) as I look at scratched up junk, no one would take for free. Not even one interesting title or artist or label, scratched or not! Gee, how odd... Yeah right.
So I also have stopped going to Goodwill, or any thrift, or even Half Price Books. Because there is nothing to find worth bothering with. (at least for me. I used to have 13,000 LPs 2/3 Classical, and dumped them. So not a chance I would rebuy something I THREW AWAY years ago. But if I found that treasure of Mercury 90000s or original and still pristine Blue Note...

AGREED, same here. The Goodwills and thrift stores around here are all cherry picked and have nothing but junk stuff, or have it so piled up and disorganized and crammed away half way hidden, that its not worth the trouble to look.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #72 on: 29 Jan 2024, 11:52 am »
I usually use Amazon or eBay for new albums, recently I purchased a few used or NOS ones for Discogs.
There's some really strange sellers on Discogs, though.
One said make offer, I put in an offer on a Saturday night and then logged off the computer until the following day.
Sunday morning I log in and the seller had accepted the offer, he sent 2 emails regarding payment and then cancelled the order at Buyer's Request.
I asked him if he hit the wrong button, he said he doesn't hold items, especially if he accepted a lower price!
I wrote him back about completing the transaction and no response.

Like I said, there's some strange ones out there.