10 WATTS TUBE POWER STEP

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
10 WATTS TUBE POWER STEP
« on: 26 May 2009, 10:59 pm »
In the Atma-Sphere site, at M60-mk3 OTL test, late Gizmo (Harvey Rosemberg) said a output power tube have musical qualities only under 10 Watts and over this a output power tube has no ( or has little )  musical qualities. For this motive a low power tube amp are better than a hi power tube amp. I immediately think in the famous 6C33 Russian at 15-18 Watts class A used in the expensive Joule-Electra and BAT lines...  :scratch:
Do you confirm this is true ?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: 10 WATTS TUBE POWER STEP
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2009, 12:35 pm »
The rule of thumb is not to push the tubes. You didn't mention which power tube you are referring to. It is possible to produce  over 10 watts per tube of clean, articulate audio with push-pull circuits with high-power 6L6's and El34's. From there we go into larger tubes where it's clearly possible.

The vintage 6L6G's are good for around 15 watts per tube in push-pull without issues with a classic tube rectifier/choke based power supply of appropriate B+ voltage.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2009, 09:41 pm »
You didn't mention which power tube you are referring to.
Gizmo was referring to all output power tubes in general.  I read about this B+ supply afew years.  What is this B+ supply after all ?
   Where it is used ?

Sorry my ignorance on basic issues...  :oops:
Regards,

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2009, 11:37 pm »
Power tubes are made in all different capacities- from flea power (1 watt or less to kilowatt ratings).  How a tube is 'harnessed' dictates how well it sounds and the power it can manipulate. For example, a 6550 used in a single ended circuit can do 10-15 watts or a  little more. A El84 can do about 5 watts in a single ended circuit. In push-pull, 6550's can produce 60 watts or so and the EL84 around 15-20 max. It all depends on the tube's implementation.  Some circuits can draw more out of a tube than others, even with the same power supply and output transformers.

The term B+ is archaic and stems from when a radio's high voltage came from a battery.  Today it's slang for the high voltage output in a tube amplifier's power supply.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2009, 01:47 am »
The term B+ is archaic and stems from when a radio's high voltage came from a battery.  Today it's slang for the high voltage output in a tube amplifier's power supply.
I don't expressed myself well. I wish to know where the B+ is used in the valve ? It appears to me that the B+  feed the valves, (I may be wrong).   Where the B+ is used in the valve? (Grid, Cathode, Anode etc...)
Thankyou,

P.S.:   OK, OK,  DEAR  NITESHADE,
Reading your message again I understand it may vary on each circuit, where the B+ feed, so I think the B+ is a general output
from the PS to all the amp use or something about it...
Thankyou,  Gustavo

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 10:53 pm »
B+ is what feeds a tube amp's high voltage circuits. There can be voltage dividers coming off of the main B+ voltage for feed preamp sections, etc...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2009, 01:43 am »
ThankYou for your patience NiteShade,  :thumb:
Regards, Gustavo