suggestions/recommendations for a preamp/headphone amp combo

R_burke

Only need 2 inputs, here's the rest of my set up

Sennheiser 580s
Shanling CD  T-100
ADCOM GFA 5800 (Bass Amp)
Sonic Frontiers Power 2 (Electrostatic Panel Amp)
Innersound ISIS

I've been using the Shanling direct because it has a volume control, but I don't like it's headphone output and I would also like to add a tuner

chadh

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2005, 11:33 pm »
I use a Sugden headmaster as pre-amp/headphone amp in my system.  Class A architecture, three inputs plus tape loop, single headphone jack, remote volume control.  It looks stunning and sounds even better.  I use it with my Senn HD580s and get lots of detail, great, tight bass, loads of emotion.  I think they're listed for $1000 new, but can be found for around $600 used.

If you'd like to stay with tubes, the Melos SHA-1 is meant to be awesome if you can find one.  

If you're prepared to part with your Shanling, another option might be to try the Eastern Electric Minimax CD player.  It's tubed and has a headphone circuit.  Unlike other players, it actually keeps the tubes in the headphone output circuit.  The headphone out is supposedly really sweet (Six Moons had a review in which the reviewer went all orgasmic over the headphone out).  I don't think it has volume control (except on the headphone circuit), so you'd need a pre-amp as well.

Chad

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2005, 02:18 am »
I bought the Jasmine T200 a couple of weeks ago and I'm in love with it! haha

I use it as a regular integrated amp in my gym, as an audiophile headphone amp in my audio room and as a computer DAC headphone amp connected directly through the USB port.  The sound is amazing and I use it with it's original tubes, I can only imagine what it would be if I put some of the expensive tubes in there!

http://www.jasmineaudio.net/t200.html

Let me know if you have specific questions, I think it's a pretty new product and not many people have it yet because before going to the dealer I was not able to find much info on it through the internet.

Cheers.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2005, 12:16 pm »
i would second the melos sha-1, which usually runs ~$400-$500 used.  early iterations had only 1 line input iirc; make sure that you get the later editions w/three inputs.  universally acclaimed as one of the best headfone amps out there, its line stage is also outstanding.  the sha-gold-r linestage preamp is a full-function preamp w/the same headfone amp built in.  6 line inputs, active/passive preamp stage, & remote control wolume/balance.  usually awailable for $600-$1200, depending on condition, & how many mods have been done by melos audio restorations, which offers service/mods on these units...

doug s.
ps- re: tuna, check out these sites for good info:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fmtuners/
 :)

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2005, 01:38 pm »
Thanks,

The Melos sounds like a possibility, I've also been looking at the Mapletree Audio Designs EAR++, any thoughts on this unit?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2005, 02:11 pm »
r_burke, my comments about the melos are based upon hear-say re: the headfone amp, & 1st hand experience re: the preamp.  personally, i don't like headfones, and i have no 1st-hand experience w/*any* headfone amps.  i have read good things about melos, sugden *and* mad headfone amps, and that's all the info i have...  but, since the melos *does* have a fantastic reputation amongst headfone guys, it would be my choice, cuz i think the preamp is great...

doug s.

R_burke

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2005, 02:58 pm »
Doug,

Thanks, understood and appreciate the honesty.  I've been looking at a few that are for sale on the goN

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2005, 09:13 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Doug,

Thanks, understood and appreciate the honesty.  I've been looking at a few that are for sale on the goN

there's an sha-1 f/a on agon; it closes tomorrow.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?preatube&1118451836

and, this - an sha-gold, upgraded, for $800.  which i would nab, cuz i can'r do w/o remote wolume.  :)  the seller is in rockville, around the corner from me, if ya want me to werify it works...
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1123429330

doug s.

mmitchel

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2005, 11:34 pm »
Quote from: R_burke
Thanks,

The Melos sounds like a possibility, I've also been looking at the Mapletree Audio Designs EAR++, any thoughts on this unit?

I can't speak to the pre-amp capabilities of the ++, but I have the Ear + Purist HD  Amp and it is very nice.  I'm very seriously thinking of a Mapletree Pre-amp to go along with it.  In hindsight I wish I had gotten the Ear ++

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2005, 11:52 pm »
The Cary SLP-2002 also has a really good tubed headphone stage.  Claud here on the Circles uses it with Senn 600's.

elnero

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2005, 07:35 pm »
How about a Headamp GS-1? An incredibly good headphone amplifier that while solid state exhibits a slightly warm, smooth sound while retaining excellent control over bass. It is also said to make a very good preamp.