Back to listening to headphones....Stax SR 007 coming aboard

Freo-1

Ever since a Benchmark DAC2 DX arrived a few months back, I've re-discovered the joys of listening to headphones.  The Benchmark has made an amazing difference with listening to the headphone rig, which consists of a Stax SR 507 driven by a Stax SRM 007 tA amp. 

For me, once you you hear a good set of ESL phones, it's hard to go back to dynamic cans.  The speed, transparency, and total lack of distortion is hard to beat.  The 507's also exhibit excellent bass, as they go deep, but very clean. 

The experience with this has further motivated me to get a better set of Stax headphone.  So, after reading a number of threads on Head-Fi, along with some additional research, decided to get the SR 007.  This may very well be the last set of headphones I'll buy, so wanted to get ones that will last.   

Found this article that heaps a lot of high praise on the SR 007's

[size=78%]http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-participant-report-bob-katz#Y2auVRrwwv23IEJQ.97[/size]

Very much looking forward to getting these in next week and listening to them.  Will post some observations after getting some time to break them in and listen.   

dB Cooper

Re: Back to listening to headphones....Stax SR 007 coming aboard
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2016, 02:56 am »
I've heard the 009's and was mighty impressed, but the reviewer you link to hated them, so I guess you pays your money... Planars definitely have something though.

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2016, 03:01 am »
For now, will be using the Stax amp.  It does have NOS RCA Black Plate tubes, which did improve the sound markedly. 

I was advised to look for a KGSS Carbon amp, but as you adroitly point out, the cost is not cheap.  A Blue Hawaii would be nice as well.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2016, 09:42 pm »
The SR-007's arrived today.  Based on limited listening, it's easy to hear why so many folks hold them in high regard.  I could notice an immediate difference between the 007's and the SR 507's in several key aspects:
1) Better sound stage
2) Deeper bass
3) Tonal balance
4) More comfortable to wear

Will need some time to listen and let them break in, but from first impressions, so far, so good.   8)

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2016, 11:50 pm »
I had an SR007 last year and powered them through a Woo WEE. Actually, I modded it to include a bias resistor to protect against arcing, and while I was in there decided to bypass the transformers on one of the output jacks, so all I was using it for was the bias pin. Granted, this meant I needed a monstrously powerful amp to swing voltages high enough to generate sound. My Yamaha P7000s was almost up to the task. It was a fun experiment.  :green:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2016, 12:04 am »
I'm looking forward to your review.
The only set of headphones I've kept for decades have been Stax.

Freo-1

As promised, here is a review of the Stax SR 007.  This is the current version, referred to as the SRM 007 MK2:

The review was conducted using the Benchmark MK2 DX DAC, and the Stax SRM 007tA headphone amp.

There is no doubt that the SR 007 are among a handful of headphones that can easily be considered among the very best available.  To quote a review by Ken Rockwell": 

"  The STAX SR-007 MK2 electrostatic headphones[ are among the very best headphones in the in the world. In fact, depending on your preference for tonal balance, the SR-007 MK2 may be the best headphones in the world.  "

The first thing that grabs the listener is just how clear and natural the music is reproduced from the SR 007's.  What is heard from the recording is about as close to the original event as can be physically possible.  No dynamic headphone can deliver this kind of performance.  For that matter, getting this type of performance from a regular speaker setup will likely cost well over 100,000 USD, and even then, it still may not get there. 

The following link provides some background regarding electrostatic headphones vs. dynamic headphones:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/electrostatic.htm

These headphones will expose the recording for what it is, both good and bad.  On a well recorded SACD such as this one:

[size=78%]http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/10[/size]

the headphones can almost make one fell like they are in the hall listening to the performance.  The instruments and low level detail is without equal.  I've listened to this SACD often over the years, and never has it sounded this good.  Name any instrument, from stand up bass to piano to cello, and it sounds natural.  The bass is deep, tight, and very well defined, with no touch of overhang.  Listening to classical music with these, from a piano sonata, up through a demanding symphonic offering such as Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade comes across as if you are in the hall listening to the performance.  The tonal balance comes across as if you are sitting in the center towards the rear third of the hall. 

Compared to the Stax SR 507, the 007's are not as bright/forward sounding.  The soundstage also extends ot further, and has a bit more depth. 

Switching to Jazz/Blues/Rock, the 007's allow the listener to hear deeper into the mix than I've ever noticed with any other headphone.  The tonal balance is most welcome with many blues/rock recording that tend to be a bit on the hot side.  The reproduction of vocals is simply superb.  Both male and female vocals sound very realistic, as if they were in the same room with the listener.  Another interesting aspect is that music from recordings that are not well done sound slightly improved through these headphones. 

It's very hard to find any shortcomings with the SR 007's.  When a high quality recording is used, the sound from the 007's does not appear to have any real shortcomings. Any shortcoming heard through the phones seem to be more with the source material than the playback setup.  I have not listened to the SR 009's which are very highly regarded.  As such, cannot offer any advice on the differences between the two.  It's fair to say that once you get into this realm of headphones, it's hard to say what is different vs. what is better.  Members who are more familiar with Stax products then myself will tell you that both the SR 007 and SR 009 performance can be improved with better headphone amps, such as a KGSS Carbon, Blue Hawaii, etc.  While I don't doubt this observation, I can state that the SRM 007 tA amp works very well with the SRM 007 phones, and will stay in my system for the time being.

In summary, the Stax SRM 007 headphones are an amazing product.  For serious listening, these easily beat most regular playback systems, regardless of price. 

Hard to beat that!!

Freo-1

After listening to these headphones for another week, they seem to sound even better as they break in.  I can't ever remember hearing a mid-range quite as life like sounding from any playback setup as one gets from these.  Even legacy recordings from the 50's/60's are providing new insights/enjoyment when listening to these phones.

Case in point:  This SACD recording sounded exceptionally life like, with nuances and details that were uncovered:

http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/1686

OzarkTom

Freo-1

Always interesting to audition new entries int to the audio world. 

Sometimes, newer is not always considered as better.  There is some disagreement as to which headphone is preferred between the SR-007 and the SR-009.  While many prefer the SR-009, many others prefer the SR-007, due to the difference in tonal balance.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2017, 08:45 pm »
After a lot of looking and research, was able to find a KGSSHV amp to drive the Stax SR-007's.  Got it for a good price.  According to the Stax mafia, the KGSSV is among the very best amps available to drive the 007's. 

Will provide an update after getting some listening time with the amp.  The phones already sound extremely good with the Stax SRM 007tA, so this should be a real treat.

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2017, 09:09 pm »
These Stax and the new Sonomas would be interesting to compare when they come out.

https://sonomaacoustics.com/

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/11/22/rmaf-2016-sonomas-model-one-reference-headphone-system/

Tom, looked into this, and the takeaway seems to be that Stax has nothing to worry about. 

Freo-1

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2017, 09:44 pm »
The KGSSHV arrived yesterday.  Let it warm up, and proceeded to do some listening. 

Oh My!  What a difference the amp makes driving the SR-007 phones.  They sound like a completely different (and much more expensive) headphone.  I had read that the Stax amps could not drive the SR-007's to their full potential, but until I got the KGSSHV, could not quite believe just how much of an improvement the KGSSV amp made with driving the SR-007's.  It's hard to fathom just how good this combo sounds. 

Once you listen to a headphone setup of this level of quality, it's hard to be as satisfied with a regular stereo playback system.  Will post some detailed observations after I get some time with this, but initial reaction is that "this may be as good as it gets" for sound reproduction.  I've never heard any setup that can make non electric strings and horns sound real, but this does.   Vocals and piano are truly life like. 

I would encourage any music lover to at least listen and experience a Stax headphone and KGSSHV/BHSE setup. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2017, 11:38 pm »
We'd better see a picture of this Stax set up, please.

Freo-1

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2017, 01:57 am »
We'd better see a picture of this Stax set up, please.

OK.  Here are a couple of pics:

milford3

« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2017, 06:16 am »
Very, Very nice.  Enjoy!   :thumb: