$250 Electrostatic Headphones??!?!?

dB Cooper

Re: $250 Electrostatic Headphones??!?!?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Aug 2016, 05:18 pm »
Something that approaches the detail of the Senn HD800, but smoother and/or less bright.  The LCD2 and Alpha Dog I had were nowhere near satisfactory in those respects.  The much cheaper Mad Dog at least had the treble balance right, although the detail was somewhat lacking.  Apparently the planar design is good for bass, but you can see in innerfidelity's reviews that treble is typically a problem, and I suspect that a single-driver planar is limited there.
I had hoped to get to listen to an HD8000S last month at Capital Audiofest last month, but if there was a set there, I missed it. Supposedly the peakiness in the treble of the 800 got engineered out.
Planars (at least in theory) should perform beautifully at high frequencies due to their extremely low mass. I had no complaints about the treble of the Audeze EL-8's I heard at CAF, at a much lower cost than any of the LCD models.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: $250 Electrostatic Headphones??!?!?
« Reply #21 on: 7 Aug 2016, 08:22 pm »
I had hoped to get to listen to an HD8000S last month at Capital Audiofest last month, but if there was a set there, I missed it. Supposedly the peakiness in the treble of the 800 got engineered out.
Planars (at least in theory) should perform beautifully at high frequencies due to their extremely low mass. I had no complaints about the treble of the Audeze EL-8's I heard at CAF, at a much lower cost than any of the LCD models.
Its easy stuff the HD800 to reduce the treble, just removing the pads.
https://www.google.com.br/search?q=hd800+mod&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yZinV-32CJWkxgS9wYWYCg