Logitech Touch mods

Wayne1

Re: Logitech Touch mods
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2010, 04:18 pm »
Maybe. The SP/DIF output is already VERY good. The board design is quite a bit different than any previous SB. There is very little room to work and the signal paths are rather difficult to trace.

There are some areas of the internal power supplies that should yield improved sonics when modded.

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:28 pm »
I have some updates on Touch mods. I will be cross posting on a couple of threads about this.

I have finally completed the first digital output mod for the Touch and it IS quite a bit better than the stock Touch into the modded EE DAC.

Noise floor is lowered. Soundstage is wider. The image is more defined. Dynamics, both micro and macro are improved.

While listening to this modded unit, I compared it to my slightly modded Touch and my Enthusiast Plus modded DUET. The modded DUET sounds very close to the same level mod done to the SB3. The SB3 is a bit noisier because of the display.

Ranking the sound of the three units on DIGITAL output to the EE DAC, The digital modded Touch sounds the best. Next is the digital modded DUET. Then the stock Touch.

All of these were used with BOLDER linear PS. I used both Touch with my older Ultimate MKIII PS and a newer PS design that I will be offering called simply the Deluxe PS. It uses a feed forward shunt pre-regulator to reduce line noise. It does run on the hot side, but it does sound better than the older Ultimate MKIII. The Deluxe will be selling for $750.00. The same circuit will be offered with Jensen caps as the Ultimate MKV.

The DUET used my Standard PS.

My conclusions are: if you do not intend to use 24/96 files, use a Enthusiast Plus modded DUET or SB3 with one of my linear PS to get the most out of your music. It you do plan to use 24/96 or just want the best sound possible, go for the Touch with digital mods and a Deluxe PS. The digital modded Touch does sound better than the digital modded DUET on both standard res and 24/96.

mchuckp

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm »
Awesome update Wayne!  Can't wait to get my modded Touch and Deluxe PS next week!

Interested Parties: Wayne is shipping my Touch with analog AND digital mods along with his new Deluxe power supply.  I'll have a stock Touch with stock power supply to compare it to.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm »
I have some updates on Touch mods. I will be cross posting on a couple of threads about this.

I have finally completed the first digital output mod for the Touch and it IS quite a bit better than the stock Touch into the modded EE DAC.

Noise floor is lowered. Soundstage is wider. The image is more defined. Dynamics, both micro and macro are improved.

While listening to this modded unit, I compared it to my slightly modded Touch and my Enthusiast Plus modded DUET. The modded DUET sounds very close to the same level mod done to the SB3. The SB3 is a bit noisier because of the display.

Ranking the sound of the three units on DIGITAL output to the EE DAC, The digital modded Touch sounds the best. Next is the digital modded DUET. Then the stock Touch.

All of these were used with BOLDER linear PS. I used both Touch with my older Ultimate MKIII PS and a newer PS design that I will be offering called simply the Deluxe PS. It uses a feed forward shunt pre-regulator to reduce line noise. It does run on the hot side, but it does sound better than the older Ultimate MKIII. The Deluxe will be selling for $750.00. The same circuit will be offered with Jensen caps as the Ultimate MKV.

The DUET used my Standard PS.

My conclusions are: if you do not intend to use 24/96 files, use a Enthusiast Plus modded DUET or SB3 with one of my linear PS to get the most out of your music. It you do plan to use 24/96 or just want the best sound possible, go for the Touch with digital mods and a Deluxe PS. The digital modded Touch does sound better than the digital modded DUET on both standard res and 24/96.

Thanks for the update. I take it that the digitally modded Touch is better than my Digital Enthusiast SB3 so it should be an upgrade. My Katalyst power supply should probably power the Touch fine as long as I don't use the USB port.

Anand.

Wayne1

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jul 2010, 11:47 pm »
Anand,

I would say the digital modded Touch would be better sounding than the digital modded SB3. The digital modded SB3 should be better sounding than a stock Touch.

Your PS will be fine. The Touch draws an average of 0.5 amps on a more or less constant basis.

kyrill

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jul 2010, 11:06 am »
Hi Wayne
I know it is in the "subjective" domain but it is the only domain we have to experience reality. Still how much is better?

say the digital modded Touch would be an 8, the digital modded SB3 a 7,5 and a stock Touch a 7? while 10 is ultimate live and 6 entree level high end?

or is the the digital modded Touch more a 9? or are the units much closer together like 0.2-0.3 points instead of 0,5?  :wink:

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jul 2010, 06:54 pm »
kyrill,

I would say more would depend on your source material and the rest of your system. The modded units are fairly close on my HT system. On a more revealing system, they may be wider apart. Playing 24/96 material, the modded Touch is quite simply fantastic.

I have sent out three more units this week. It will take some time for them to get broken in, but hopefully we will hear some comments about the mods by the end of the month.

Wayne1

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:57 pm »
The Logitech Touch mods are now listed on our website.

Orders can now be placed and units can be shipped to us for mods.

Touch Analog Only Mod

Touch Digital Only Mod

Touch Full Mod

The Full Mod contains both the digital and analog mods.

Nick77

« Reply #28 on: 9 Feb 2011, 10:30 am »
    As far as high end, price no object, the Touch will fall short. At this point it is limited to 24/96. I have heard some of the very few Reference Recordings albums at higher sampling rates. They do sound better, without a doubt. There are maybe a dozen readily available recordings in this format. Perhaps, in time, there will be more. Perhaps the Touch will be able to play these recordings back in their native format. But for now, the Touch falls just a bit shy of the ultimate digital playback.

Wayne just starting to experiement with my new Touch. I tried playing a few hirez files above 24/96 and they would not even play, is that because sox wasnt enabled? Or can the Touch not even play anything above 24/96. When you said the higher sampling rates do sound better, were you refering to being played through the Touch? Thanks...

kyrill

« Reply #29 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:46 am »
Wayne just starting to experiement with my new Touch. I tried playing a few hirez files above 24/96 and they would not even play, is that because sox wasnt enabled? Or can the Touch not even play anything above 24/96. When you said the higher sampling rates do sound better, were you refering to being played through the Touch? Thanks...

"the Touch will fall short. At this point it is limited to 24/96"
sounds much more "troublesome" than it actual in practice is. A lot of pristine recorded redbook CDs -meaning low jitter thus meaning a very low jitter clock and very stable clock pws, sound still better than many 24/96. Pristine recorded 24/96 will cover the transparency and depth and musicality equal or above of what 99% of all stereo setups out there are capable of. If you take only "high end" setups" in consideration I would not be surprised if 24/96 will equal or surpass 80%.
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2011, 04:19 pm by kyrill »

Wayne1

« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2011, 02:51 pm »
The Touch can natively play up to 24/96 files. Beyond that the server has to be running SOX to downsample any 24/176 or 24/192 files into a resolution the the Touch can work with.

As to higher sample rate, I meant to say the can sound better, if the source material is very very good. Not played back on the Touch, but through a computer and an interface that can natively process those files. As I mentioned, there are less than a dozen of these files I am aware of and they cost $50.00 each. None of them have any music I would want listen too on repeated occasions.

It is hard enough to find well recorded 24/96 files.

Take a look through soundcheck's squeezebox Touch tuneup to make sure you are getting the most out of your Touch. Only run it wired to your server. turn off the wireless card. Turn off the display. There are many other little scripts he has come up with the get the absolute finest sound possible out of the Touch.

DZetye

« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:55 pm »
Wayne,
Can you tell me if the digital mods on the Touch apply to the TOSLINK optical out as well as the RCA digital output?

Wayne1

« Reply #32 on: 11 Feb 2011, 07:17 pm »
The work done to the digital section of the Touch does effect the optical output. I do prefer to use the coax, however.

geowak

« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:49 am »
By the way...

Wayne at Bolder Cable did some mods to my original Squeeze box. He is very professional and gives the best in customer service. Whenever I had a question, he would answer it in detail and offer suggestions. He is the guy to go to, with regard to Logitech music server products.

My two cents...