Inexpensive linear power supply for DUET and DACs

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Inexpensive linear power supply for DUET and DACs
« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2010, 09:57 pm »
Ed,

Make sure the polarity is correct. The center pin should be positive.

You should be able to hear an immediate difference.  This will change a bit over the course of two weeks. If you want even better sound, send it to me for some mods.

Next level up would be one of the power supplies I make.

I have no problem with you posting your thoughts on the PS here.

Wayne- 1) You mention the sound will change..it gets better??
           2) Whats the reason that the power supply makes such a difference, in laymans terms whats the science here?? Is it that the power is so much cleaner that the unit can finally be heard fully?
 Ed

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #21 on: 5 May 2010, 11:22 pm »
I bought a couple of these a few years ago to power my Sonic Impact T-amps.  Never thought to try it on my Squeezebox (been using an Elpac brick), but I'll have to give it a try... just got to figure out what I did with those connectors.

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 5 May 2010, 11:44 pm »
Wayne- 1) You mention the sound will change..it gets better??
           2) Whats the reason that the power supply makes such a difference, in laymans terms whats the science here?? Is it that the power is so much cleaner that the unit can finally be heard fully?
 Ed

Ed,

Yes, the sound will get better, but it may get worse during the break-in process. The capacitors do undergo a chemical/electrical change as current flows through them. While this is rather difficult to measure, it is rather easily heard. This changes do vary depending on the brand of capacitor.

With BlackGates it was very obvious and rather obnoxious at times.

Again, the PS can be improved AND the DC cable does make a difference to the sound.

I would suggest that the next step should be modding the DUET receiver before any more PS upgrades.

I think AC member Scott F did the best job of explaining the difference between switching PS and Linear PS in an article he wrote for Enjoy The Music BOLDER SqueezeBox Power Supply Review

krikor,

The modded ELPAC will sound better than the PE PS. The PE will not do 5 volts without a bit of a mod. The ELPAC has a much nicer transformer, anyway.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 6 May 2010, 12:07 am »
Wayne, thanks again, and the plan is to mod the Duet next, might be awhile but thats the plan. I see no great advantage to getting a SB touch right now as I had once been thinking. The way things sound right now on my system I'm fine with, I was finding myself all day really enjoying the music instead of finding holes in the sound. I'm gonna discover some classical music and put my feet up for awhile. :thumb: :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 6 May 2010, 01:56 pm »
I think AC member Scott F did the best job of explaining the difference between switching PS and Linear PS in an article he wrote for Enjoy The Music BOLDER SqueezeBox Power Supply Review
Wayne thanks for that link, great article and easy to understand, a great read- +4's and a +5 on your analog mods on a scale of -5 to +5 very nice, I enjoy switching between both optical and analog outs for different types of music, remote controls are awesome. He mentions in the article that you upgrade the DAC to a KE series, is that still part of your mods, I didn't see that listed on your website in the mod offerings but I may have just missed it??

*Just a heads up, on your website using Google Chrome browser the links on the left hand side only show a number of results not the listing of items, although the Modifications one does show several pages of actual offerings. Might just be Chrome!

Wayne1

« Reply #25 on: 6 May 2010, 03:08 pm »
He mentions in the article that you upgrade the DAC to a KE series, is that still part of your mods, I didn't see that listed on your website in the mod offerings but I may have just missed it??

The KE version of the DAC chip became standard in the second run of the SB. The chips were actually the same. The KE version was just tested. The non-KE could actually have identical or even better specs. This is now meaningless as Logitech has moved on to other DAC chips.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #26 on: 6 May 2010, 05:20 pm »
krikor,

The modded ELPAC will sound better than the PE PS. The PE will not do 5 volts without a bit of a mod. The ELPAC has a much nicer transformer, anyway.

:duh:  Duhhhhh... you just reminded me why I didn't try this before... no 5volts!  Oh well, as soon as I get a Touch  :wink: