Possible Seas W12 Mini-Tower

MikeC78

Possible Seas W12 Mini-Tower
« on: 9 Sep 2013, 10:02 am »
Hello gents!

I emailed the man himself, but curious on what you guys think as well...

I currently have the Veracity ST's as mains, which I enjoy very much for music and HT.  However, I'd like something similar as surrounds and the looks, just smaller.  I was thinking about using the Seas W12 drivers in the WOW1's, along with a RAAL.  So, I'd have two W12's like in the array just as the VST's.  This should also raise sensitivity, compared to the WOW1(mini-monitor) and make them easy for my AVR to drive them as well.

So, a 7" wide, 9" deep, and maybe around 40" tall as a surround speaker in an MTM design?  IMO, Would look very sleek and match the Veracity's very well.  Like a smaller brother? ;) 

Thoughts??

Mike
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2013, 11:10 am by MikeC78 »

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Possible Seas W12 Mini-Tower
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2013, 11:51 am »
I have also wondered about the Seas W22 or W26 in a transmission line. A Super H2TL ? Maybe too large a woofer would require a too long transmission line?

glangford

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2013, 11:52 am »
The SCST are 8 wide 10.5 deep and 44 tall.  I'd just do that, they are not much bigger than the dimensions you quote.

MikeC78

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm »
The SCST are 8 wide 10.5 deep and 44 tall.  I'd just do that, they are not much bigger than the dimensions you quote.

You could also say the same for the Veracity ST's.  They are actually not as tall, but about the same with width/depth.  I'm also assuming the W12's are also cheaper than the W15's as well.   I'm looking for something smaller, not larger, but thanks! 

glangford

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2013, 02:20 pm »
The w12 woofers are actually more expensive than the w15 according to the us vendor, madisonspeakerstore.

MikeC78

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2013, 03:59 pm »
Interesting on the price...  Jim is looking into this right now, as there are other options as well.  I'd like to stick to a mini tower, as this would be less obtrusive than the others.  Kinda like a mini-monitor (WOW1) on stands, but with better possible performance.  I'm sure Jim will come up with the best solution for me... 

Mike

yetis

« Reply #6 on: 9 Sep 2013, 09:34 pm »
hey, stop bothering Jim.  He is working on my active monitor design.  Mini towers, phfff.... :D :green:

glangford

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2013, 09:48 am »
How about a W15/Raal version of the Salk Songbird? The songbird is 38x8x7.5 (hxwxd).  A w15 version might even be a little smaller.

MikeC78

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2013, 10:11 am »
Glangford-

I appreciate the help.  There are many things in the works, but we have to keep in mind a proper TL design for each speaker.  There is a reason the songbird is in the dimensions they are, it is due to the design of the speaker.  You can't just throw different specked drivers in a Songbird constructed box and call it a day.  Jim is working on something with maybe the W12 or even the titanium TangBand driver, with a smaller version of the RAAL.  We'll see what he comes up with, no big hurry...

Thanks again!

Mike

MikeC78

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2013, 10:20 am »
hey, stop bothering Jim.  He is working on my active monitor design.  Mini towers, phfff.... :D :green:

Ha!  :lol: I'm sure I'm not the only one bothering him, plus I'm not squeezed on time by any means, he can take his time...

glangford

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm »
Glangford-

I appreciate the help.  There are many things in the works, but we have to keep in mind a proper TL design for each speaker.  There is a reason the songbird is in the dimensions they are, it is due to the design of the speaker.  You can't just throw different specked drivers in a Songbird constructed box and call it a day.  Jim is working on something with maybe the W12 or even the titanium TangBand driver, with a smaller version of the RAAL.  We'll see what he comes up with, no big hurry...

Thanks again!

Mike

I understand what a proper tl  design means. I have one!! SCSTs. They were begat from STs. I was only suggesting an analogous relationship between a songbird and say a supercharged version. Of course Iunderstand the dimensions would be different.  But the scst is smaller than the st, hence one might conclude that a similar relationship exists with the songbird and a w15/raal version of the songbird. The significantly reduced driver cost would also make it worth exploring (2 instead of 4). Just trying to help.

MikeC78

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:07 am »
Ok, I see what you're saying now...  That could be a possibility.  The only issue I could possibly see, is the sensitivity is usually reduced with a single driver design, making the load more difficult for my AVR.  I'm looking for a small package that is easy to drive as well.

glangford

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2013, 10:13 am »
Sensitivity might be an issue, but not as big a one for surround duty. But it is now truly 8 ohms, that helps a little.  Here, I'm no expert as I run just a two channel system. 

MikeC78

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2013, 10:41 am »
Ideally, I'd like the W12's along with some type of RAAL.  However, this doesn't seem to be a cost effective option.  If I could use this combo and say, keep it at about a 6 x 6 x 40 size, this would be about perfect and I might reconsider some costs. 

Plus, they'd look sexy and sleek! :D (Definite WAF) Cross them over at 80-100hz and call it a day.  They could possibly be another great option as mains for HT (crossed w/ subs), and they would be superb as matching surround towers with the VST's/SCST's.

ricardojoa

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm »
If you are limited to those measurements, i would guess that a ported version would be more flexible. Also, at 40 inches height it might be better to go with TW layout. a mtm layout may put the tweeter too low depending how high you listen. You may even want to consider a 2.5 way.

MikeC78

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2013, 12:26 pm »
If you are limited to those measurements, i would guess that a ported version would be more flexible. Also, at 40 inches height it might be better to go with TW layout. a mtm layout may put the tweeter too low depending how high you listen. You may even want to consider a 2.5 way.

Ricardo-  that's another great thought!  40 to 42" would be about ideal, since the towers would be on either side of my main listening area(love seat).  Keeping the RAAL on top with a TW layout, might be perfect, about ear height or slightly above. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:14 pm »
Ideally, I'd like the W12's along with some type of RAAL.  However, this doesn't seem to be a cost effective option.  If I could use this combo and say, keep it at about a 6 x 6 x 40 size, this would be about perfect and I might reconsider some costs. 

Plus, they'd look sexy and sleek! :D (Definite WAF) Cross them over at 80-100hz and call it a day.  They could possibly be another great option as mains for HT (crossed w/ subs), and they would be superb as matching surround towers with the VST's/SCST's.

If you're going to cross to a sub at 80 Hz, and also want to exercise some cost containment, I suggest you give serious thought to the Tang Band titanium driver.  It's just as smooth and detailed as the W12 and costs maybe 1/4th as much.  In an MTM, that would add up to something like a $700 saving.   The real advantage of the W12 is deeper bass extension, which becomes pretty moot with a sub in line. 

MikeC78

« Reply #17 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:39 pm »
If you're going to cross to a sub at 80 Hz, and also want to exercise some cost containment, I suggest you give serious thought to the Tang Band titanium driver.  It's just as smooth and detailed as the W12 and costs maybe 1/4th as much.  In an MTM, that would add up to something like a $700 saving.   The real advantage of the W12 is deeper bass extension, which becomes pretty moot with a sub in line.

Thanks for the reply, Dennis!  I'm considering the Tang Band and Jim himself brought up the use as well.  The only thing that would bother me, is they wouldn't "match" in appearance to my mains. (Yes, I know, I'm a little OCD)   :oops:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2013, 04:43 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Dennis!  I'm considering the Tang Band and Jim himself brought up the use as well.  The only thing that would bother me, is they wouldn't "match" in appearance to my mains. (Yes, I know, I'm a little OCD)   :oops:

OK--but the $700 of savings could get you a couple of hours of professional help with that OCD. 

MikeC78

« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2013, 05:00 pm »
OK--but the $700 of savings could get you a couple of hours of professional help with that OCD.

:duh: Touche'!!  I'm sure I will probably go that route, after Jim comes up with a plan...  It makes the most sense.  They would be playing as surrounds, pretty much near field as well.

What is the size of this driver anyhow, and are they on Madisound?  Thanks again!