Modwright DAC

dminches

Re: Modwright DAC
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2010, 05:09 pm »
I would also like to see a DAC that decodes HDCD.  I have no idea what this adds to the cost but it would a nice to have since I have over 50 HDCD-encoded discs.  My current work around is to rip them to 24 (20)/44.1, flac them and play them through my MWTP, but it would be nice to be able to just throw the disc in the transport and be done with it.

jriggy

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:00 pm »
I would also like to see a DAC that decodes HDCD.  I have no idea what this adds to the cost but it would a nice to have since I have over 50 HDCD-encoded discs.  My current work around is to rip them to 24 (20)/44.1, flac them and play them through my MWTP, but it would be nice to be able to just throw the disc in the transport and be done with it.

the tubed Oppo 83SE has solved my HDCD conundrum. But I too would LOVE to see this capability in a MW DAC!

dminches,
 I have a feeling that all my HDCD's may be the same as yours?   :dancing bear icon:   :wink:

dminches

« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:26 pm »
Yup.  All the Dicks' Picks, etc.

I use my MWTP as my DAC but I could just use my Oppo SE for HDCD.  But my MWTP sounds better.

jriggy

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2010, 08:56 pm »
Yup.  All the Dicks' Picks, etc.

I use my MWTP as my DAC but I could just use my Oppo SE for HDCD.  But my MWTP sounds better.

My MWTP is still wireless so that may have something to do with it but right now IME the tube modded Oppo SE is smokin' good! I did throw a pair of T/S round plates in the signal tube slots for that extra bit of 3D and organicness. But the new production Tung Sol's Dan supplys with the player sounded very good to me to. Not quite as musical as the NOS but more dynamic. Did not do a complete critical a/b... But this is for another thread... Back to DAC's (with HDCD capabilities)

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2010, 12:07 am »
Thank you all for the input!  I agree that the $2500 price-point is a good one for this level of product, for which the volume of sales is likely to be highest.  I would LOVE to build a cost-no-object design later also, and likely will, but the lion's share of the market is likely willing to spend < $3K for a flexible DAC at this time!

I am initially hoping to offer a DAC upgrade for our LS 100 for between $750 and $1K.  The phono upgrade is complete and is $750.  Once this DAC board is complete, then we MAY turn it into a standalone offering, as well as the phono, for $2500 or so.  The difference being of course that the upgrade boards in our LS 100 rely on the LS 100 linestage as the analog stage and the power supply in the LS 100 to begin with.  The standalone products would require a power supply and separate analog stage - hence the cost difference for standalone products.

I anticipate two inputs, USB and RCA or BNC, at the very least.

I am strongly leaning toward the ESS SABRE DAC chip and am putting it all together still. This work is actually in concert with our digital input mod that we will soon have available for our Oppo mods and modified Sony's.

In terms of ultimate one-box-solutions, I believe that an integrated amp of HIGH QUALITY SOUND and build, with built in modular DAC design, would also be exceptional!

Thank you ALL for the feedback!

Dan W.

dminches

« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2010, 02:20 am »
Great news on the phono board.  Do you have specs?  Does it handle both MM and MC?  How is he MC loading changed?  Any information and pictures would be great to see.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2010, 05:01 am »
Dan

I'd love to see a MW DAC in a stand alone offering.  A $2500 price point will make it very competitive, particularly with your expertise in power supplies/analog stages.  IMO you will need more than 2 inputs:  2 coax, min of 1 toslink, 1 AES/EBU, 1 24/192 USB and if you can can add it based on architecture 1 BNC.  Outputs: XLR fully balanced and RCA single ended.

I personally wouldn't want a volume control or any level of preamp offering in the DAC, but others might.

Hope to get my Oppo mod'd soon, balanced and tubed.

Sincerely
Mark

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:12 am »
Hi guys, first of all, RE the internal phono stage in the LS 100:
It uses a single 12AU7 and 12AX7.  Total preamp gain in phono mode = 66dB.  Gain is infinitely variable via volume control.  It has internal dip-switch settings for loading: 50, 100, 500, 1K, 47K and 100pf.  It is user installable and selected via the Opt. input on the preamp.

The DAC design to fit this upgrade slot is in the works.

Thanks!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:13 am »
RE the DAC, I will design the upgrade for the LS 100 first.  I expect it to be in the $1K range.  The Phono upgrade is $750.

I will take the internal DAC design and expand it into a standalone unit.  Price TBD, but I will try to come in close to $2500.

Thanks!

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:51 pm »
I had to pull out my Pre/DAC to re-route some wiring so took advantage of the moment to take a few snapshots of the prototype Modwright/Dondysh(3D) Collaboroation.  I just shot the business end of the two boxes, which houses the 3D DAC board in the space left by moving the power supply to an external box.  The three microswitches on the back panel are for switching the SPDIF/RCA input, switching between SPDIF and USB inputs (USB input is not shown - it is a dongle cord that attaches to the XLR output), and for floating the ground.  I did not shoot the power supply - I'm not sure what might look different in there, but I know that Dan has bypassed the output transformers in the pre stage. 

AB

« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:46 pm »
Cool. :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing Marco and please note everyone, that this IS a prototype!  If/when we take this to market, the overall implementation will be cleaner and more organized looking.  Also, the backplate will be designed to accomodate the upgrade.

It is a FANTASTIC sounding product!

Thanks,

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:04 pm »
It is a FANTASTIC sounding product!

Amen!

I sure am enjoying the heck out of it, Dan.  I've had a few different DACs and players in my system and heard a few in others' systems and at shows, and I'd have to say this is certainly of the very best I've heard, short of vinyl.   

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm »
Amen!

I sure am enjoying the heck out of it, Dan.  I've had a few different DACs and players in my system and heard a few in others' systems and at shows, and I'd have to say this is certainly of the very best I've heard, short of vinyl.

Marco....

What is it that you hear that's different.....thanks. :thumb:

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:23 pm »
Marco....

What is it that you hear that's different.....thanks. :thumb:

Did you catch my second post to this thread?  Or did you want me to go into further detail?  I'd think the combination of the revelation of inner detail while remaining completely natural sounding is on top of my list.  Rightness certainly comes to mind over and over where sounds just raise the hairs on the back of my neck. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2010, 10:45 pm »
Thanks.... :thumb:

I'd think the combination of the revelation of inner detail while remaining completely natural sounding is on top of my list.  Rightness certainly comes to mind over and over where sounds just raise the hairs on the back of my neck. 

wilsynet

« Reply #36 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:57 am »
Dan, I think if you used an async USB input that you would find that USB is very, very competitive with SPDIF.  Some would argue better.

The Ayre QB-9 is a fine example of a superior USB DAC which is fairly robust against quality of computer transport.

As you no doubt already know, Ayre licenses their USB technology from Wavelength, while Empirical Audio and Wyred4Sound licenses theirs from M2Tech.

I am not personally looking for a new DAC right now, but if I were shopping and you included an inferior USB implementation, I'd need to consider the price of your DAC and factor in the additional cost of a very good indeed USB to SPDIF converter.  I think the market is increasingly moving to computer based transports, and async USB is the bet I'd likely make.  And it turns out the bet that Wavelength, Ayre, W4S, Empirical Audio are already making.

Having said that, my present DAC is not an async USB DAC, but I needed to buy a new 2010 Mac Mini to make that work for me.  Not sure if most of the market would want to do the same.

HumanMedia

« Reply #37 on: 22 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm »
My requirements:

* full hires file formats
* inputs - optical, coax with BNC, USB with high sampling rate support

Maybe a second lower priced version with only 24/96 and no USB could work as well.

C17FXR

• Remember, you don't have to rewind the Blu-ray.
« Reply #38 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:38 pm »
Dan
After reading about what Ted_b has found here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0 as long as the DAC could do up to 24/192 with your outstanding output stage this would be a real winner. Inputs could be RCA/BNC (1 or 2) with USB as an extra cost option and optical, tube output stage with RCA and XLR outputs to fit most any system. Add to this your new Master Clock circuit and this would be one hard to beat DAC on the market. Will keep following this thread to see the out come.
Rumor has it you working on another external phono stage?

modwright

« Reply #39 on: 7 Dec 2010, 08:15 pm »
Thank you for the feedback.  I agree that USB is a must and that it should be asynch if we are going to do it at all!  I am looking at OEM options and trying to decide which is best.

The unit SHOULD be very flexible with RCA, AES/EBU and USB at a MINIMUM for input choices.

This is a work in progress and I very much appreciate the feedback!

Thanks,

Dan