Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp

wushuliu

Re: Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2011, 07:04 am »
wushuliu - sorry to sidetrack your thread :) Good to hear you've had success with the miniDSP too. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts if you try different crossover slopes or frequencies.

No worries. I am going to order the Parts express measurement mic and do my first measurements next weekend. I am officially way over my head at this point, but your guides should come in handy.

Toughest part about single drivers is the whole break-in thing. I gotta wait 150 hours?! Wah!

Scottmoose

« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:24 am »
Glad you're enjoying them. And that the A12 DBRs went down well (space limitations aside).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #22 on: 6 Jan 2011, 10:07 am »

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:34 pm »
do keep in mind that without calibration these are only useful from ~200-5kHz.

http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_dayton.html
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_behringer.html

dave

Hi Dave, the EMM-6 now come with unique calibration files for each mic (downloadable from PE site w/ serial number input) and comparisons have shown it to be good 30hz-20k...

wushuliu

« Reply #24 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:36 pm »
Glad you're enjoying them. And that the A12 DBRs went down well (space limitations aside).

Thanks Scott!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #25 on: 6 Jan 2011, 07:12 pm »
Hi Dave, the EMM-6 now come with unique calibration files for each mic (downloadable from PE site w/ serial number input) and comparisons have shown it to be good 30hz-20k...

they didn't have that when i got mine.

dave

Bemopti123

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:48 am »
Master Wushu, would you mind sharing what sort of amplification are you using for the smaller sealed driver?  Moreover, did you truly followed the guidance of markAudio when it came to breaking the driver in for hundreds of hours with natural sounds?  Is a speaker such as the one you design compatible with very low powered amps, of the SET kind?  and if it is compatible to SS amps, what is the safety in the wattage it can take?  More descriptions about the specific sound quality that those speakers make. 

Thanks from NYC.

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 7 Jan 2011, 03:30 am »
Master Wushu, would you mind sharing what sort of amplification are you using for the smaller sealed driver?  Moreover, did you truly followed the guidance of markAudio when it came to breaking the driver in for hundreds of hours with natural sounds?  Is a speaker such as the one you design compatible with very low powered amps, of the SET kind?  and if it is compatible to SS amps, what is the safety in the wattage it can take?  More descriptions about the specific sound quality that those speakers make. 

Thanks from NYC.

I'm no master! I'm still very new to the audio world...The setup has only been in place since last Sunday. I was using a Muse TA2020 amp for the Alpairs until last night. As of last night it has been replaced with an Onix SP3 tube amp. The Alpairs are breaking in with 100% natural aural waves, no additives or preservatives. About ~10hrs. so far. The Alpair 6 is rated at 84db. It could probably be run full-range with a SET with obvious limitations from both the driver size and the low watts. The larger Alpairs have increasing efficiency with size. They are compatible with SS as well as tube amps. Each Alpair has different power requirements, so you may want to look over the specifications - Madisound's Mark Audio section is a good reference. As for sound quality, I have already shared my current thoughts in the above posts. If you mean in 'general', I've found the Alpairs I have heard to be balanced, clean, and smooth. No high frequency break up issues, no peakiness in the mids or upper mids like other full range drivers. Seamless I think is a good word. Not to mention the seductive effect of coherency and clean signal path. Hope that helps.

sts9fan

« Reply #28 on: 7 Jan 2011, 02:12 pm »
Now I think I need to ditch the 1st Gen A10s I have and upgrade to the 10.2

wushuliu

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:18 am »
Minor update. Today I swapped the A6Ms out and put in the CHR70s I had (I'm getting ready to sell a bunch of drivers and wanted to hear them before doing so) sitting around and you know maybe Dave was right and I should have gone for the A7. The CHR70 has more punch out the box and overall more 3-D than the A6Ms though not as smooth and sweet. I guess that little extra Sd makes a difference?

Edit: I then put the Gen1 A6 in the box. You know what? It sounds better to me than the A6M  - again out the box (or 6 weeks on the shelf anyway w/ 50hrs on it prior). It just has a midrange to die for, a great top end, and the Gen2 A6 just doesn't have the same magic. So the Gen1 stays after all. Full circle. Down the road I may try the A7 though, for now I have to stop chasing rainbows. :no_hear:
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2011, 06:08 am by wushuliu »

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jan 2011, 07:33 pm »
FYI, I've put some of my drivers up for sale...

chrisby

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm »
of course, by the time you're ready to chose them rainbows again, don't be surprised if Mark has come up with a few more tricks   :wink:

FWIW, while I personally prefer the EL70 to the CHR70 or earlier version of Alpair 6, there's something really special about the Alpair 7, particularly if your situation / budget allows for use of separate woofer(s).   Even if crossed over low enough that localization is not a concern, there's a lot to be said for multiple small woofers.  In fact Mr Toole covers the subject quite well in his recent text. 

I'm in the process of dialing in a small surround HT system with Alpair 7 for the front row, and for the moment a single SDX7 8" woofer.  While I've got some issues with the sub, I'm quite loving the rest of it. 

The biggest issue is that the room layout somewhat complicates location and enclosure size of rear surrounds,  but they'll probably end up being A6M in a fairly teeny angled box mounted in rear corners.   

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:31 am »
of course, by the time you're ready to chose them rainbows again, don't be surprised if Mark has come up with a few more tricks   :wink:

FWIW, while I personally prefer the EL70 to the CHR70 or earlier version of Alpair 6, there's something really special about the Alpair 7, particularly if your situation / budget allows for use of separate woofer(s).   Even if crossed over low enough that localization is not a concern, there's a lot to be said for multiple small woofers.  In fact Mr Toole covers the subject quite well in his recent text. 

I'm in the process of dialing in a small surround HT system with Alpair 7 for the front row, and for the moment a single SDX7 8" woofer.  While I've got some issues with the sub, I'm quite loving the rest of it. 

The biggest issue is that the room layout somewhat complicates location and enclosure size of rear surrounds,  but they'll probably end up being A6M in a fairly teeny angled box mounted in rear corners.   

Yeah, I wonder when the Gen3 CHR70 is coming. Speaking of multiple drivers, I'm tempted to do dual A6s (not Castle though, just forward). MArk seemed to think there would be no cobing issues.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2011, 04:24 am »
m tempted to do dual A6s (not Castle though, just forward). MArk seemed to think there would be no combing issues.

I'm tempted too. FH Mk3s are a candidate.

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 8 Feb 2011, 10:56 pm »
So I am cleaning house a little and came across some Parts Express 7ltr piano black cabs I have sitting around. I was considering selling them but the cost of shipping would not make it worthwhile so I decided why not use them: PE sells the blank baffles and they sure as heck are some well-built cabs. So what the heck I ordered some EL70s and will install them so I can compare with the A6 without having to deal with building new enclosures from scratch.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #35 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:15 am »
they sure as heck are some well-built cabs.

The curved side ones are OK, the monkey coffin ones not so much.

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:40 am »
The curved side ones are OK, the monkey coffin ones not so much.

dave

?

what's monkey coffin about the small 7ltr cabs? maybe i misunderstand the reference.
I know they won't be as interesting as what YOU guys whip up, but I just need a good sealed cab.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #37 on: 9 Feb 2011, 12:52 am »
Monkey coffin is a reference to any rectangular box. The PE rectangular boxes need a whack of added bracing (enuff so, that it often makes sense to start from scratch), the curved side ones are OK.

Which do you have.

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #38 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:06 am »
Monkey coffin is a reference to any rectangular box. The PE rectangular boxes need a whack of added bracing (enuff so, that it often makes sense to start from scratch), the curved side ones are OK.

Which do you have.

dave

I have the rectangular, but at that small a size I'm not sure what additional bracing it could need beyond what it has already, not to mention 1in. thick baffle.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #39 on: 9 Feb 2011, 01:13 am »
The ones i had the most experience with are the 7 litre ones. i'd add some vertical bracing.

And we replaced the baffles with plywood ones. The 1" baffles supplied are low grade MDF, the braced 15mm baffles we made were significantly more substantial.

dave