early snow...

mgalusha

early snow...
« on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:07 pm »
We drove down to Pagosa Springs for a few days of vacation this week and actually hit snow coming over Wolf Creek Pass on Tuesday afternoon. We had seen a snow plow a little earlier and there were lots of dark clouds ahead and I fully expected some nasty rain but near the top of the pass it had snowed and we rounded a corner and sure enough there was a plow with a big wave of slushy snow.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised but it was only Sept. 4. :) I suppose we should start getting ready for winter..

Oh yeah, Pagosa Springs was great. Perfect weather, very relaxing and a great way to spend the week.  :thumb:

Mike

jrebman

Re: early snow...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:14 pm »
Well, I for one am enjoying the change of season -- as long as it isn't too fast :-).

Maybe because it means that I won't feel guilty about staying inside and tinkering or listening when I should be outside pursuing some more salubrious activities.

It'll probably start snowing up in Ned any day now.

-- Jim

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:59 pm »
It'll probably start snowing up in Ned any day now.

Do they still have the frozen dead guy up there? If so, the coming snow should help keep him cool. :)

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2007, 04:47 pm »
Yes, they sure do.  I happen to know the guy who drives up there every month with a pickup truck load of dry ice that he dumps into the Tuff Shed that contains Mr. Frozen.  It's a bizarre thing.

http://www.frozendeadguy.com

It's all true, including the parade, relay race, and all.  It is a sight to behold, I'm told.

-- Jim

finsup

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2007, 06:13 pm »
FWIW, I lived in Denver for a number of years and it wasn't at all unusual for the metro area to get its first snowfall in September.  October I considered to be one of the area's finest months.  Pleasant warm days and cool nights.  I suppose as long as MNF hasn't scheduled a game in Denver that week since it always seems to snow for those games, then RMAF should be golden.

GregC

« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2007, 02:02 am »
My wife and I hiked in Golden Gate Canyon Park today (Raccoon loop up to the Panorama Peak) and drove home on highway 119 through Nederland.  It did not seem like it was going to snow based on today's weather, but that can change in 5 minutes in CO.  I have only been in CO since March 2006 (I am a California native) and last winter was fairly harsh for the uninitiated. 

The views and natural beauty of Golden Gate canyon and the drive home through Boulder Canyon were simply amazing.  The timing of this post was perfect considering I had never driven through Nederland before and then I find out that I drove by the home of the frozen dead guy!  Now I can proudly tell my family in CA.  :icon_lol:

My wife and I are definitely looking forward to RMAF.  I told her about last year's show and she is anxious to check it out.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2007, 01:29 am »
No, it's not unusual to have snow early in Sept., it's just been pretty warm and I wasn't really expecting to see it. I've lived here my whole life and am rarely surprised by the snow. Thankfully it's usually gone in a day or two, last winter excepted.

BradJudy

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2007, 03:47 am »
We must have a cold front settling in - they were talking about a high of 50 tomorrow.