Salk Silk named one of the "Best Loudspeakers in the World" by Audioholics

Mudslide

Are these for sales on the website? I do not see therm there.

The Jetsons' speakers above are NOT the Salk Silk.  Here you go with the Silks....

...and here is your link to them....

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=Silk+Monitors

jsalk

eljr

The Jetsons' speakers above are NOT the Salk Silk.  Here you go with the Silks....

...and here is your link to them....

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=Silk+Monitors

thanks, I always thought monitors were powered.... these are not?

How many watts per channel is considered optimal for these?

Also, I see there is also a Silk At Monitor.

I see the difference in the woofer. My question is why? The original was called one of the best speaker in the world by Audioholics.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
thanks, I always thought monitors were powered.... these are not?

How many watts per channel is considered optimal for these?

Also, I see there is also a Silk At Monitor.

I see the difference in the woofer. My question is why? The original was called one of the best speaker in the world by Audioholics.

You're thinking of the 'PowerPlay Monitors':  http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay%20Monitors

Wanted to hear them at Axpona a couple of years ago, but the room was busy and didn't have enough time to wait around for my 'turn'.  Definitely a superior approach to speaker design, as nearly every studio professional uses active monitors for recording/mixing.

Regarding optimal wattage for the Silks, I think Jim answered it as definitively as possible.  The woofer is rated up to 150 watts, but drivers deal with a brief overload of clean power much better than a rated amount of distorted watts, so always best to oversize the amp.  Bottom line is that the output will be limited by the small and low efficiency woofer (no matter how high quality, which by all accounts it is, this is a matter of the laws of physics).  Adding a sub would help extend the bass, but can only provide limited help to reach higher sound pressure levels.

eljr

The woofer is rated up to 150 watts, but drivers deal with a brief overload of clean power much better than a rated amount of distorted watts, so always best to oversize the amp. 

I have two amps which both are rated 150 per channel, one is a Nad and the other an Emotiva. So both would be adequate, optimal or lacking?

Joe Frances

Lately I've been thinking that the 100 Watt McIntosh or the Modwright KWI 200 would be excellent integarted amps for the Silks if you want to get a slightly warmer; maybe a touch tubey sound. 

Audiophile58

The Beyma AMT driver is more dynamic and uniform , 8 owned the Raal it is good but for sure not as dynamic,
Or dispersion . I am thinking about buying the Spatial Audio Labs  X5 or X3 open baffle 
It is that good !!

fredgarvin

Good grief.

Tomy2Tone

My Aunt Carol makes a good sweet potato casserole but not nearly as good as Ruth's Chris. I think I'm going to pick some up next week. It's that good!

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/best-loudspeakers-world

Wow!!!!  Notice that the next most-economical speaker in that list (excluding the budget designs) is $20k/pr.

Congrats to the Salk Team!

And notice that next to the handsome Salks the others just seem, in a word, fugly.

Congratulations Jim.

tufwheel

Speakers of the Gods...

cioescot

I agree that Jim makes some amazing stuff and being from MI it's good to keep it local! Looking forward to owning a pair sooner than later. My current Legacy Audio Classics still sound great...but... One of my friends is getting some new Salks on Friday. Can't wait to hear them.