Upgrade drivers in super 3i ?

bigjppop

Upgrade drivers in super 3i ?
« on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:24 pm »
I've owned some omega 3i speakers for a couple of years now and have really enjoyed them. I'm ashamed to admit that family situations have prevented me from putting too many hours on them (stinking kids and their need to sleep!!!) but I still like them a lot. (The kids and the speakers).

Anyway, I'm getting that urge to spend some money acquired from my recent sale of some other gear and I'm wondering which way to go. Upgrading the drivers would be the easiest/cheapest option. Are the RS5 drivers a straight drop in on the 3i? Anybody done it? Results?

I'm also thinking of selling the 3i and maybe trying the Hoyt-Bedford 1. I like he increased sensitivity because I'm also a big fan of DIY flea powered amps.

My system as it stands now is a emotiva USP-1 and a tubelab DIY SimpleSE amp. I'm using a Hsu subwoofer to fill out the bottom end. Oh yes, my source is always in flux but I normally use an iMod (modded iPod) or An Apple TV to an outboard dac running as a music server.

Anyway, just curious on anyone's experiences either with upgrading the 3i or going from a 3 series to the HB 1.

Louis O

Re: Upgrade drivers in super 3i ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm »
Hi bigjppop,

Great to hear about the Super 3i's. What I would do is upgrade to the RS5 drivers. It's an easy drop in and will bring the sound to much higher level.

This is the way I would go.

Thanks,
Louis

bigjppop

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:14 pm »
Well straight from the horse's mouth is a pretty good source for a recommendation. I'm in the process of moving in the next few weeks but once I get settled I'll be in touch for a set of drivers. Are they in stock, ready to ship or should I order in advance?

Louis O

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:17 pm »
Hi bigjppop,

Thanks and you'll be very happy with them and save a good amount of money too.

I have them in stock and ready to go.

Thanks,
Louis