Gave up waiting on AV1s. Sorry.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Gave up waiting on AV1s. Sorry.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Mar 2021, 02:23 am »
I guess I'll do my part to derail this thread further.
 Danny could say with certainty, but I don't remember him using the Hiquphon tweeter. I'm probably dating myself here, but there was a time when it was all the buzz in the audio community. I suppose it's possible he did some custom work, or that someone did it on their own. Could be an unknown quantity without some provenance.
I think I remember that Jim Murphy posted a design with the M130 and the Hiquphon tweeter. 
Yep...  http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1.html

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #21 on: 23 Mar 2021, 01:18 pm »
Well, at least no one was upset. I caught the tweeter, but thought maybe this was a first, or older design. Honestly, I’ve not asked Danny about them, he’s been super busy with the phone ringing.

Parts are slowly starting to come into stock. Danny has been doing his best to get things sorted! I hope you all can hang on a bit longer!  It will be worth your wait, that is for sure!

Awesome build!! Into the ceiling! I like it!! Would love to see!!

wangch32

« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2021, 03:55 pm »
Do you think those speakers would be a great catch with the hiquphon speakers

AlexH

« Reply #23 on: 23 Mar 2021, 08:22 pm »
I built a pair of Dennis Murphy's MBOW1's for a friend 15 years ago. He still has them. I have to say I love the tweeter. That was my first exposure to GR Research because the design used Danny's woofer.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 24 Mar 2021, 02:02 am »
The Hiquphon tweeters were exceptionally good sounding, you should jump on this deal.

Theronbo

« Reply #25 on: 27 Mar 2021, 10:24 pm »
These are the bits

2 way cross over

Tweeter (compressor?)

Tweeter mounted on woofer to create a sort of coaxial speaker.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 27 Mar 2021, 10:39 pm »
A compression tweeter that screws into the back ofthe woofer?
Thats pretty neat! :o

Theronbo

« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2021, 12:58 am »
Actually has a built in horn it screws into...  saw user selecting a JBL compression speaker

https://www.parts-express.com/JBL-Selenium-D220Ti-1-Titanium-Horn-Driver-8-Ohm-1-3-8-18-264-270?AID=11553825&PID=8972741&cjevent=19c8cc688f6011eb824701450a1c0e0e&utm_source=CJ&utm_campaign=8972741

Guessing since two different manufacturers are building interchangeable parts... must not be that uncommon.

I’m gonna start with the speakers I know I’m putting in the wall.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2021, 01:01 am »
That's pretty cool!
Im definitely interested to see your results once they're done!  :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #29 on: 28 Mar 2021, 01:27 am »
A compression tweeter that screws into the back ofthe woofer?
Thats pretty neat! :o

Hobbs,

Do a search around the GR circle for the V1, V2, and Super-V to check out Danny's last hand at doing OB coax speaker designs (long since retired after the manufacturer discontinued the coax drivers).  These speakers introduced us all to the OB servo subs, and on the frequency top end we needed BG to create the Neo10 and Danny needed to make the NQ drivers to knock the Super-V off the throne as king of the lineup. 

(To be fair, the Super-V traded punches with the LS-9 and was briefly dethroned by the LS-X before the Neo10 and NQ drivers came around...and there are still a handful of things the Super-V still does a little better due to using a high efficiency, high power handling pro audio coax driver.)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2021, 01:36 am »
Ah yeah, I've seen the Super V and V1/V2 before, tho I didnt realize that they were a coax driver. But that's pretty cool tho!

Thanks for the history lesson!  :thumb:

Theronbo

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2021, 12:50 am »
Eminence is a Made in America speaker... just randomly found this video on their factory.  Old factory... been making speakers a long time.

https://youtu.be/hQCoS_ZLDw0

Paulypops

« Reply #32 on: 11 May 2021, 09:43 am »
I believe I ordered my NXStudio flat pack just around the time the drivers went out of stock. I wanna say around mid August?

(Plus according to Danny, the newer NQ woofers that are arriving offer a little smoother response than even the original models.)

Does smoother response also mean deeper bass?

And far out It's up to 9 months wait now. I have been waiting since October for the NX studios. Now I have seen reviews of the CSS speakers 1TD kit, I would like to try those for the fact the reviewers are saying they sound great for rock music. I am having a big party soon and they would be better for the party I think? Although I will still have to get the NX studios. I want to experience that deep sound stage. I love listening to old classical all tube stereo recordings on vinyl from the 60's. And I assume nothing will beat the NX line of speakers for that.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2021, 12:08 pm »
Ive been waiting on the NX Studio since August, but have been looking at them since early last year, but budget constraints held me up until after the NQ drivers sold out. So i totally feel you there.
But they should be arriving in port on the 13th, and get thru costoms about a week after that. So we should be seeing orders ship out by the end of the month.  :thumb:

"Smooth" generally means it's less clinical or detail oriented, and easy to listen to for longer periods of time without fatigue.
Usually pertains to treble.

There is also "smooth" in bass when it comes to roll off, usually meaning gradual. It may mean a few Hz in extension, depending on the tuning frequency of the box/port.
A smooth roll off usually means it doesn't have any secondary humps or peaks below the tuning frequency that may cause issues with proper sub integration.
Tho "smooth" bass in terms of tone may be perceived as a general loss of texture & tone, all else being equal.

That's my understanding at least.

Theronbo

« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2021, 03:59 pm »
Finished first Eminence ATMOS speaker...

It’ll be buried in the wall... so just but a sealer on the MDF. Boy the look crude.

But, sound pretty good ... made it the Right speaker, replacing the X-Static.

Ran some sound tests...

Actually, has much better range than I expected... going all the way down to 20Hz. Bass doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as X-Static. The high end is nice. Midrange not bad. Don’t have presence of X-Static.

But they are clear & precise.

At $370 per pair... they are no bargain. & you have to build them. My JBL 530s sound better.. great holes & all fir $400 pre made.  The X-Static kit was only $450 when I bought it... what a steal.

Have 3 more to finish ... then mount in ceiling & walls ... & build front covers.

Vince in TX

« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2021, 08:33 pm »
Why not go for Danny's AV-1RS for surround speakers?

I'm waiting for four of these myself.  Fortunately, I still have a ways to go before I need them.   Danny said the shipment of woofers is on the way, so hopefully not much longer.