The Prestige

mjosef

The Prestige
« on: 2 Mar 2007, 07:26 am »
I could have sworn I read somewhere that this DVD release was going to be a HD-DVD/ DVD combo release, but all I saw in the store was just the plain ole dvd package.
Anyone in the know ?
And what is SDDS?

bubba966

Re: The Prestige
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2007, 07:53 am »
SDDS is Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. It's a 35mm Film audio format.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2007, 09:39 am »
Dunno what format it will be released in but the film is fucking brilliantDO NOT MISS!

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:15 am »
Dunno what format it will be released in but the film is fucking brilliantDO NOT MISS!

Brilliant?  It was pretty good, but IMO it's a mediocre sci-fi flick pretending to be a deep human drama.. :wink:

Cacophonix

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:20 pm »

Second that.
A gripping movie from the start!

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 05:35 pm »
Well I saw the Illusionist last week and liked it a lot... and just received The Prestige in the mail (rental). If it tops the Illusionist (4.5 out of 5 stars), then I will certainly want to buy it.

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2007, 05:43 pm »
Well I saw the Illusionist last week and liked it a lot... and just received The Prestige in the mail (rental). If it tops the Illusionist (4.5 out of 5 stars), then I will certainly want to buy it.

My wife liked illusionist a lot more than prestige.
Prestige is much more darker, and a more in depth study of obsession/hatred ... with a little bit of scifi thrown in. But it most definitely is NOT a scifi movie.

Compared to prestige, i thought illusionist was almost fluffy  :P

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2007, 08:25 pm »
The illusionist is really a romance film, targeting women, largely. The Prestige intentionally downplays the romance and highlights the tension and conflict in the relationships therein. There is also a subtext concerning the conflict between Thomas Edison, the populist, and Nicola Tesla, the true genius. This parallels the conflict between the Magicians. Heartily recommended by me.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2007, 04:48 am »
I agree- The Illusionist was a clever, amusing love story but pretty lightweight compared to The Prestige.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2007, 05:12 am »
I thought the Prestige bit off more than it could chew.  The entire vengeance obsession angle was just not played out very well - at least I was never really was convinced by his obsession.  Jackman's american accent also threw me off as the film flashed back and forth across the atlantic, considering he's supposed to be society material.  Add to that the heavy scifi element and it just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

The illusionist would have been a bit better if the * had died and ended without the *spoiled ending* at the end.  I liked the spiritualist aspect of the movie, which is often overlooked.  Scientific American was on the verge of accepting spirtualism as fact, back in those days!  At least according to the history channel program i watched.  Very big stuff after WWI.

jakepunk

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2007, 03:11 am »
I agree with the previous poster regarding The Prestige.  I could not root for either protagonist because they were both evil.  It was like a Mad Magazine Spy vs. Spy episode: it's not good versus evil, it's two bad guys who hand each other a bomb with a short fuse.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2007, 06:21 am »
To root for one of them is to miss the point.  It was about obsession, love and obsession- not good vs evil.

PhilNYC

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:21 pm »
I liked The Prestige, but was not knocked out by it...wasn't expecting the sci-fi aspect of it, so that came off as a little out of place IMHO because I was really getting into the mental/emotional aspects of the film...

The Illusionist was enjoyable...great performance by Ed Norton, and an overall fairy-tale feel to it...

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2007, 05:24 am »
Just saw the Prestige, and was kinda disappointed...enjoyable, but disjointed, no flow. All flash and no soul as they say. Maybe the back and forth narration style has become passe, left me feeling...blase (as in tiring).
There was no sense of wonderment to take home after. Would I want to own this after seeing it...ummm, nope. 3 stars.
The Illusionist was the better film for me.

dado5

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:15 am »
Just saw the Prestige, and was kinda disappointed...enjoyable, but disjointed, no flow. All flash and no soul as they say. Maybe the back and forth narration style has become passe, left me feeling...blase (as in tiring).
There was no sense of wonderment to take home after. Would I want to own this after seeing it...ummm, nope. 3 stars.

I felt the opposite. The Illusionist had a dead predictable ending and the Prestige did not. I really was not sure how the film was going to end up.

Both films were well scripted and superbly acted though.

Ears

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2007, 01:20 pm »
I could have sworn I read somewhere that this DVD release was going to be a HD-DVD/ DVD combo release, but all I saw in the store was just the plain ole dvd package.
Anyone in the know ?
And what is SDDS?

Saw this in theaters and loved it....bought the Blu ray and loved it even more in 1080p with uncompresed PCM audio.

I actually thought it was even better the second time around.

Curly Woods

« Reply #16 on: 12 May 2007, 03:04 pm »

I too was disappointed in the Prestige vs The Illusionist.  I figured out the ending rather easily.  Much preferred the style of the Illusionist and the feel of this movie more too.