Flyboys

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Flyboys
« on: 1 Feb 2007, 10:46 am »
Anyone here catch Flyboys?  I'd not heard of it til a week ago, I dunno how it flew under my radar (no pun intended!).  It's a wonderful movie, though- set in WWI, it's about American pilots of the French Lafeyette Escadrille.  Only a few years after the invention of the airplane those guys were engaging in aerial dogfights, well before the handbook had ever been written.  The acting is top flight, especially from James Defranco of SpiderMan fame.  And the effects are stellar- there are very few films about WWI aviation, and few films of any era with this kind of FX.

Run, don't walk, to the video store to pick this one up!  Highly recommended. :thumb:

Whitese

Re: Flyboys
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2007, 11:37 am »
I watched it yesterday as a matter of fact,,,,regret not being able to see it in the big screen though...

I am not sure the main character was the best casting but he did good...

Now who I didnt like in a role was Ashton next to Costner in The Guardian...I thought ashton was just not the part at all,,,he does have swimmers build though.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2007, 11:54 am »
I can see your point, but I've come to really admire Defranco after seeing him shine in Tristen & Isholde and Flyboys.  Perhaps a higher profile actor would have aided publicity for the movie, but IMOHO he was excellent.  As an actor I like his ability to bring a "goodness" and innocence to a part.  I think he's quite versatile; he was equally compelling as the dispicable character of Osborne in Spiderman 1 & 2.

At any rate I respect your view, but I quite loved the film. :)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2007, 11:55 am »
BTW, not "the" big screen, but I enjoyed it very much on my 84" screen in my HT. :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2007, 05:21 pm »
I'll be watching Flyboys tonight and The Guardian this weekend.
I forgot about Flyboys as well but saw a commercial and was very intrigued.  I'm not getting out to the movies as much as I used too, I spent $45 for two the last time I went and said, this has got to stop.  I don't even know what's in the theaters now, except that Norbit is coming out and my teenage relatives are  begging me take take them to see it and also Epic Movie.  Teenagers love that gross type humor (so do I at times).  I like Eddie Murphy, just looking at him makes me laugh.  I thought he was great in Dreamgirls as well. 

Feel sorry for me, I am the resident chaperon who has to take the kids to all this stuff: Amusement parks (lord I've been the Disney World about 50 times), Disney on Ice, Dora on Ice, Disney Movies, Rap and boy/girl band concerts etc... I even get suckered into kiddie birthday parties and some baby showers.  But I have my earplugs, magazines and I catch a wink or two at the movies.  It is fun hanging with the kids and teenagers though, man are they expensive. It's much easier to invest a few grand into a home theater/media room with a big screen than to keep taking the kids to the movies every week.  So I'll be watching "Open Season" on the projector this weekend too.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2007, 08:09 pm »
I've got Flyboys on the way from Netflix...glad to hear you enjoyed it, Rob!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:00 am »
Drats!  A week after I buy it they get the double disc "Special Edition" with a bunch of bonus footage! :duh:

launche

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:22 am »
Watched The Guardian, it was OK.
Ashton is another Affleck to me.

Will watch Flyboys tomorrow.
Hope the surround sound is good with all the planes whizzing around.

Rob you seem like a movie buff, what's up, there seem to be less DTS mixes these days.  I think the last dozen or more movies I've watched didn't have a DTS mix.  Did I miss something?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2007, 06:37 am »
Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  I have bought some with DTS mixes but it's mostly DD.  Could just be the luck of the draw, but then I do buy a lot of movies.  Bubba966 might have some insight into what's going on.  Personally, I've found that when a DVD has both, the DTS is generally better sounding, but I've heard many exceptions to this. 

I expect to upgrade from my current PJ (an Optoma H31) to a 720P projector within the next few weeks.  Then I'll start shopping for a high def DVD player.  Some BluRay discs I've seen have an uncompressed, CD quality 16 bit soundtrack. :drool:

launche

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2007, 01:57 pm »
Yeah I prefer DTS as well.
Actually I would say the around 95% of the movies I saw in the last 6 months had no DTS mix.  I have a Monster Music 3 Doors Down Hi -rez DVD that I pulled from under my car seat after a month  :duh: and was happy to see DTS listed.

I have an Infocus 4805 which works fine for me at the moment but have also had a slight urge to get a hi-def projector and DVD player but I think I will wait until christmas.

Ears

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2007, 11:29 pm »
BTW, not "the" big screen, but I enjoyed it very much on my 84" screen in my HT. :thumb:

Bigger than most home screens I would say...and thanks for the thumbs up  on this flick as I bought this on Blu-ray...and have been hesitant to take the plastic off...or throw away the Wally World receipt. 8)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2007, 11:42 pm »
I'm curious to hear what you think of the flick, and how good it looks on BluRay.  When I get my bonus check later this month I'm planning to upgrade to a 720P projector, either a Mit's HD1000U or HC3000U.  Which means an HD-DVD or BluRay player is in the cards for me, too.

launche

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2007, 02:23 am »
I did watch Flyboys and enjoyed it.  It felt a little "light" to me but I like it and really enjoyed the aerial acrobatics and seeing the vintage war plains and such.  Then again the style did have a nice sensiblity to it without being over the top and so on.

Next up Jet Li's "Fearless"

Ears

« Reply #13 on: 18 Feb 2007, 04:28 pm »
I'm curious to hear what you think of the flick, and how good it looks on BluRay.  When I get my bonus check later this month I'm planning to upgrade to a 720P projector, either a Mit's HD1000U or HC3000U.  Which means an HD-DVD or BluRay player is in the cards for me, too.

Rob....I would stick to a 999.00 or less 720p pj at this time because I can't even sell my 4k 720p pj for 1600.00 at this point.
Buy the 999.00  models with free extended warranty including lamps + free shipping  on the Optoma or Mistshubishi (made by Optoma) PJ's.

Anyway... Flyboys looks fantastic on BD....and the sound is also fantastic...HD reference...or real close to it.
The movie is decent enough....but it does tend to mimic Pearl Harbor as far as a bit too heavy on the love story aspect IMO.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2007, 03:51 am »
The only thing I thinking, Ears, is that the HC3000U has substantially better blacks, a 2 year warranty vs the HD1000U's 1 year yet only costs $400 more.  Either way decent FPTV home theater has never been better or cheaper.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2007, 04:30 am »
I watched this last night after Saw III.   Skip Saw III, but watch this one.  I too really liked the vintage airplanes and acrobats.  The plot was ultra deep but decent enough.  It also skipped most of the cliches.

RonB

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2007, 04:39 am »
Naaah-this movie sucked