Pan's Labyrinth

jakepunk

Pan's Labyrinth
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:46 am »
I knew going into this movie that it was not a children's movie and that it earned its R rating.  What I didn't know was that in addition to violence there was torture and sadism.  It is a violent mess.  The main problem is that the movie fails to work in either of its parallel story lines (the real world versus the fantasy world).  One of the characters in this movie says, "It's a cruel world."   But there is no escape from cruelty in this movie.  The little girl's journey into the fantasy world is just as cruel and depressing as the real world she is trying to escape from.  Monsters inhabit both worlds, and there is no respite.  There is very little color in this movie:  everything is muted and grey, even in the fantasy world.  Even the quasi-happy ending is tinged with gloom.

Although clocking in at less than 2 hours, it seemed to just go on and on and on and on and on...

I hated, hated, hated this movie.

gitarretyp

Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 05:10 am »
I thought it was great. If you went in looking for something uplifting and happy, i'm not surprised you were disappointed. It's meant to be (and i think succeeds quite well) a christian allegory.

By the way, fairy tales weren't happy go lucky funfests until well into the 20th century. Read some brother grimm stories.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2007, 06:08 am by gitarretyp »

reddmadder

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
Hi,
 I really enjoyed the film and for the following reasons:
  It was a rare case where a filmmaker was able to successfully combine fantasy and drama within an historical context.
  There are also some very conscience attempts at visual symbolism and analogy which weave both the fantasy world with the real world.
   SPOILERS..DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM
     In my opinion the film is about monsters both human and imagined.
     In the scene where we see the brutal Captain Vidal stitch up his face because he was cut by Mercedes we see that he has now become physically deformed...a.k.a. a monster of sorts...a great example of an external collaborative exemplifying an internal state, i.e. his internal tendency to be a cruel,psychotic killer who enjoys torturing his enemies has now become externalized ,we see him as a deformed person, a monster-visually.
      The film is bookmarked with the death of Ofelia...we see blood flowing in reverse from her face and then the story begins.Conversely the film ends with the same shot only now she is bleeding normally.Blood is a theme used as re-birth ,in this case by the end of the film Ofelia is re-born(in the imagination of herself and the storyteller)into the princess she is told that she is by the Faun in the beginning of the film.
       The film is very violent and bloody in both Ofelia's imagination and in the scenes of war and torture.This is no accident,I posit that the intention of the director is to show that the external world is a mirror image of Ofelia's imaginative world.As noted, monsters dwell in both worlds as does violence...note the scene of the creature who is awakened by Ofelia's eating of the grape.In christian mythology it was the apple, the creature also bites off the heads of 2 fairies.
    I could go on longer ,but have to get back to work,suffice it to say this is a film worth seeing.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:11 pm »
I also just loved this movie. The woman a couple of seats down from me was gasping at some of the scenes. After the movie her husband and I talked and they were going to a film study group and this movie was their assignment. They both loved it also.
 I hope it wins an oscar for best foreign film if it is in the catagory this year.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2007, 04:15 pm »
The fact that I went alone to the theatre for the first time in 35 years and had the chance to put as much salt on my popcorn as I wanted without the wife saying "Thats enough salt" also made the movie more enjoyable. :icon_lol:

Fiji5555

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2007, 08:15 pm »
I liked it too  :inlove: Was shocking and violent but for all the right reasons, not just because it could be. I confess I cried like a baby in some parts of   :bawl:it but after it was over I felt lots better  :P

maxwalrath

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:25 pm »
Great, great movie IMO

Cacophonix

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 12:56 am »
Caught this movie with the missus last weekend, and thought it was a splendid piece of work!! Surprisingly my wife agreed too!
I'd been wanting to watch this movie ever since i listened to the director on NPR (Fresh Air with Terry Gross). You can listen to it on the NPR website.