Worst Movie of all time...again?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Worst Movie of all time...again?
« Reply #80 on: 27 Sep 2006, 01:21 am »
Two words:

EVENT HORIZON

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #81 on: 27 Sep 2006, 02:58 am »
Two words:

EVENT HORIZON

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

George

REALLY? I wanted to watch that one. The box cover is sooo cool.  8)

Bob

bubba966

« Reply #82 on: 27 Sep 2006, 04:35 am »
Event Horizon wasn't that bad George. It wasn't that great either...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #83 on: 27 Sep 2006, 08:03 am »
I really liked Event Horizon.  Perhaps not a work of genius, but above average IMO.  It's not easy to combine scifi & horror successfully.

gitarretyp

« Reply #84 on: 27 Sep 2006, 03:14 pm »
I'll add "what the bleep do we know." It's the only movie that has made me angry and i couldn't finish (i could only stomach ~20 minutes).

BobC

« Reply #85 on: 29 Sep 2006, 01:39 am »
I agree...hated Event Horizon.  Don't care for movies that rely on gore.   :thumbdown:

LordCloud

« Reply #86 on: 2 Oct 2006, 07:32 pm »
I didn't hate Event Horizon, but I didn't think it was awful either. But it's been a long time since I saw it so who knows. It was no Tomb Raider I tell you that, now that shit was awful! If not for the Clearaudio Grand Master Reference it would have been a complete waste of time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #87 on: 2 Oct 2006, 08:24 pm »
Tomb Raider did suck, as did "XXX" with Vin/Van Deisel.

Bob

mcrespo71

« Reply #88 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:16 pm »
Event Horizon was pretty terrible, but I can't say it was the worst movie I've ever seen.

dado5

« Reply #89 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:03 pm »
As has been said this is ultimately MST3K territory with the very ‘worst’ entertainment in themselves, like Plan 9 or Santa Claus v. the Martians.  While the naked technical incompetence that was common from the 50’s to the early 80’s is harder to find nowadays, astoundingly poor movies still seem to made.  Here are my picks for relatively recent worst:

Money and talent not required –The sense of urgency to get the story to the screen is all over these

Born American – Some buds vacation in Finland (the irresistible draw of the sauna and Kalakukko beckon us all don’t they?) and get captured by the Russians. Each passing moment of the film brings new, freshly assaulting levels of awfulness.

Battlefield Earth- enough has been said

Wing Commander – Such well conceived bad guys! Freddy Prinze jr. is officially the world’s worst actor – I know this becasue he is only one ever to make me turn off a movie starring Rachael Leigh Cook (and yes that includes Cary Elwes).

Money can’t save it – Big budgets and big names don’t inherently make good film. Often box office successes, it may take a few years of intervening positive activities like dentist visits and house painting to appreciate the badness that was overlooked the first time:

Twister – Watch it now and understand the Satan had to have gotten a few souls in exchange for the success of that script pitch. He got Crichton’s a long time ago so I’m not counting him

Antz – Dreamworks animation launch. Literally every star in Hollywood had a speaking part including Rudolf Valentino and Charles Laughton. Normaly, I consider gratuitous use of offensive language in a children’s cartoon a hallmark of brilliance, but even that could not salvage this film.

Face Off – John Woo’s first Hollywood outing. Why?

Critically a-maimed – Loved by those who know movies and yet still so immensely unwatchable:

Lost in Translation – The most ironically fitting title for a movie in years.

Pulp Fiction – Film as frame by frame painting. I would like to say it’s a great concept that just didn’t work, but I can’t. It’s a lousy concept that should never have left its cozy den between Quentin’s ears.

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover – I make no attempt to be humorous with this one. Utterly repulsive.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2006, 10:34 am by dado5 »

ebag4

« Reply #90 on: 4 Oct 2006, 02:19 pm »
Pulp Fiction??  This one is one of my top 25 BEST movies! :thumb:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #91 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:51 pm »
I agree Pulp Fiction is on my tops list too, Loved Samuel Jackson's performance...I happen to think he should have won whatever award that Travolta won.

Some of the movies I see here don't suck, they were OK movies but they don't suck unless one had higher expectations for the movie.  Try cruising around cable late at night, now there you'll find some suck butt movies.

Randy

« Reply #92 on: 30 Oct 2006, 07:31 pm »
Put these two "historical" epics on the list.  K-19:Widowmaker and The Patriot, a Mel Gibson howler.  Harrison Ford attempting to portray a Soviet naval captain was hilarious.  Clearly, all he had on his mind was his next paycheck.  The Mel Gibson turkey was so ridiculous I was nearly thrown out of the theater because I couldn't stop talking back to the screen.  These kinds of movies that take themselves oh so seriously when they are in reality tremendously stupid are a pet peeve of mine.

Tirade

« Reply #93 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:20 pm »
Tons of movies I would consider bad but there is only one movie that I have ever walked out on..

Natural Born Killers

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #94 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:32 pm »
Put these two "historical" epics on the list.  K-19:Widowmaker and The Patriot, a Mel Gibson howler.  Harrison Ford attempting to portray a Soviet naval captain was hilarious.  Clearly, all he had on his mind was his next paycheck.  The Mel Gibson turkey was so ridiculous I was nearly thrown out of the theater because I couldn't stop talking back to the screen.  These kinds of movies that take themselves oh so seriously when they are in reality tremendously stupid are a pet peeve of mine.

One man's burden....
I enjoyed The Patriot a lot, and own the Superbit on DVD.   But respect all opinions on these things...heck, I thought DaVinci Code was laughable.

AB

« Reply #95 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:46 pm »
War of the Worlds.

Catch it on HBO this week!

We invented a new drinking game while watching it the other night - whenever Dakota Fanning screams you must drink until she stops.

We found this to be the ONLY way to endure this movie AND her screaming.

P.S. We ran out of booze pretty quickly...

mfsoa

« Reply #96 on: 30 Oct 2006, 08:51 pm »
Yeah, War of the Worlds

Saw it also on HBO, what I could make it through.

Thought it might have some cool Sci-Fi aspect, but it seemed like it was just people running away from stuff.

BobC

« Reply #97 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:39 pm »
You know I rented Clerks II last weekend and it was (IMO) absolutely terrible.  Loved the original....still laugh my a$s off, but man-o-man this one was really really bad.  Same characters but re-processed.  It was funny when they were early 20-something losers...but just sad as early 30-something losers.  Maybe I'm a little too up tight...but I had to FF though the donkey scene  :thumbdown:

navi

« Reply #98 on: 19 Jan 2007, 01:51 pm »
You know I rented Clerks II last weekend and it was (IMO) absolutely terrible.  Loved the original....still laugh my a$s off, but man-o-man this one was really really bad.  Same characters but re-processed.  It was funny when they were early 20-something losers...but just sad as early 30-something losers.  Maybe I'm a little too up tight...but I had to FF though the donkey scene  :thumbdown:

I actually enjoyed Clerks 2. (but I have a thing for Rosario Dawson)  It wasn't as clever as the first and it wasn't neccessary for a sequel. I think Kevin Smith lost it after Chasing Amy.

ctviggen

« Reply #99 on: 19 Jan 2007, 02:37 pm »
Am I the only one who liked War of the Worlds?  I thought it was devastating in its portrayal of people fleeing a catastropie (a la New Orleans and the hurricane).  Having said that, I would never buy this movie.