Worst Movie of all time...again?

robert1325

Re: Worst Movie of all time...again?
« Reply #120 on: 24 Jan 2007, 04:55 pm »
HAHAHA,   idiocracy.... saw that one this weekend :scratch:

texasphile

« Reply #121 on: 4 Feb 2007, 06:51 am »
Since I purchase the entertainment movies for work, I always buy the highest acclaimed, rated, nominated by respectable film organizations, etcetera.  One day in December I decided that what our collection needed was several of the worst films that I could locate.  After considerable time and effort (maybe 20 minutes) since I didn't really have the time to waste on this, I chose the two worst Science Fiction movies (many professors use this particular genre as films for their students to watch and criticize, generally on a man vs machine level) of all time.  The conclusion reached was Plan 9 from Outer Space, which I have seen, and Robot Monster, which I have not seen. 

My own personal worst would have to be either:  Sword of the Valiant: The Legend of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (1984) starring Sean Connery and directed by Stephen Weeks; or Going Down (1983) directed by Haydn Keenan.  The first was pretentious and very bad.  The second movie almost made me vomit due to the quick, burst-style edited rape scene (man on man).  I was way too young to see something like that (and still am). 

I do agree with those who said Natural Born Killers was one of the worst.  It is the only movie that I saw for free and wanted my time back after watching it.  It is also the only movie in which 90 % of the audience got up and left the theater (I know because I checked the box office receipts for that show versus the amount of refunds handed out for that same showtime).  I was one of the managers of the theater and after seeing it, I told the head manager to book us something different to replace it.  He said our contract is to carry it for two weeks (industry standard).  I asked if there was a way to get one extra movie and show the NBK once a day.  He argued with me until I told him to stand in the back for 20 minutes and count the number of people that we were losing during the show.  We got some relatively unknown children's film to replace it.  The movie ran every showtime but through a projector that was not being used, ergo no one got to watch it.  At the end of the second week, off it went to hopefully be sent to whichever country we were fighting at that time (This is the way the United States is really!  Don't attack them!  You may get infected by whatever is wrong with them!).

Chris

robert1325

« Reply #122 on: 4 Feb 2007, 10:14 am »
Natural born killers  :scratch:            I really enjoyed that movie

Whitese

« Reply #123 on: 4 Feb 2007, 01:09 pm »
The End Of The Affair  vs Chicago....I cant make up my mind...Gee whiiizzz

frustrated

« Reply #124 on: 4 Feb 2007, 03:36 pm »
Raising Arizona!  What a stinker! :duh:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #125 on: 4 Feb 2007, 03:45 pm »

One of my all-time faves!!  "You're a flower, you are".  "It's got Yodas and sh&t". 

This topic is so interesting.  Like any piece of art, the combinations of flavors, textures, sensibilities (or lack thereof) can strike one person perfectly, and another person like fingernails on a chalkboard.  That's a good thing, I think.

A bad one for me, and one I forgot about until my oldest son reminded me (he saw it this past week) is 2010.  Wow.

robert1325

« Reply #126 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:03 pm »
Raising arizona isn't to bad,    Some good laughs in there !

2010 should have been better

pugs

« Reply #127 on: 4 Feb 2007, 04:19 pm »
Leaving Las Vegas.  Nicholas Cage is terrible.

S Clark

« Reply #128 on: 4 Feb 2007, 06:15 pm »
Raising Arizona in a worst movie list?????  :o Someone needed to pay more attention in his english classes back in high school.  You missed out on hyperbole, irony, and just the joy of language. "Her womb was a rocky place where my seed could gain no purchase". 

Fiji5555

« Reply #129 on: 10 Feb 2007, 08:11 pm »
Lost Highway by David Lynch in 1997........just recently "borrowed" a copy online. Watched it all hoping it would get better but what did I expect from the same guy who did Twin Peaks?  :duh: Stupid........stupid.....I mean STUPID story and movie. :roll: It was over 2 hours too! :icon_surprised: Honestly after it was done I ejected the DVD, put it in the microwave, and cooked till "well done"  aa I will NEVER watch another David Lynch movie  again!  :nono:

SOM

« Reply #130 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:12 pm »
I will NEVER watch another David Lynch movie  again!

What, you don't like weird and disturbing for the sake of weird and disturbing?   :wink:

mca

« Reply #131 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:35 pm »
Naked Lunch.......

gitarretyp

« Reply #132 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:30 pm »
David Lynch, at least of late, has been doing surrealist films. You can't watch his movies once and understand much. I think he's one of the best directors around right now.

The bad reviews of any Coen brothers film has me :scratch:. Also, Cronenberg is a pretty talented horror director and hasn't made anything i would put near the worst films list.

BobC

« Reply #133 on: 13 Feb 2007, 08:24 pm »
Naked Lunch bothered me.  Also remember the disturbed feeling I got from Eraserhead.  It's not that I don't appreciate wierd movies, but I need some logic and reason in my universe....when ever possible  :o

I may give Eraserhead another shot sometime when my wife's out of town.  Definately not a movie for her!   

nathanm

« Reply #134 on: 13 Feb 2007, 08:52 pm »
I just rented "Eraserhead" after wanting to see it for years and years.  It is very bizarre indeed, not at all what I expected.  I didn't really understand what it meant until I read someone's interpretation of the symbolism that made a lot of sense to me.   Interestingly though, in the interview with Lynch on the DVD he says that nobody ever interpreted the movie the way he saw it.  And he doesn't tell us, either.  The guy is really eccentric which to me is the mark of a great artist.  If too many people know what the hell you're talking about you're probably doing something wrong.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #135 on: 13 Feb 2007, 09:03 pm »
If too many people know what the hell you're talking about you're probably doing something wrong.

Eccentric incoherant minds working abstract no crap bi no tri smok'n bats?  :smoke:

chadh

« Reply #136 on: 13 Feb 2007, 09:26 pm »
  The guy is really eccentric which to me is the mark of a great artist.  If too many people know what the hell you're talking about you're probably doing something wrong.

There is one good way to ensure that nobody knows what the hell you are talking about.  First ensure that YOU don't know what the hell you are talking about.  I don't have much time for David Lynch, personally, as I think this is a method he employs:  introduce elements of the film that seem to be meaningful, while in fact they have no meaning whatsoever. 

On the other hand, I think some of his movies I've seen have a really good look.

Maybe I'm too hard on him.  Maybe he really is a surrealist - the Salvador Dali of the movie world.  Like Lynch's movies, I always think Dali's pictures look gorgeous.  But I appreciate the irreverance of Dali's work, and find Lynch's to be painful and self absorbed.

At a Dali exhibition I saw once, there was a wonderful quote.  I can't remember it well, but it went something like this:  "When I ask a waiter for a telephone, I am always surprised that he does not bring me a lobster."

Perhaps as confusing a David Lynch films, but better (I think) are those by Peter Greenaway.  I never saw the one that made the biggest splash ("The cook, the theif, his wife and her lover"), but I certainly remember watching "The Draughtsman's Contract" on late-night TV once, and shaking my head all the way through, hoping to God it would become apparent what was going on.  "The Belly of an Architect" was slightly less abstruse, but still a bit of a struggle (at least for me).

Chad