Looking for some advice

sresener

Looking for some advice
« on: 29 Oct 2019, 04:25 pm »
So im working on my room and figuring out what treatments speaker placement ect ect.

I thought I would take a measurement and share it and hopefully get some advice on where my next step is.

My room is small its 12ft wide 17ft long and 8 high

So far I have found one sub in the front right and one sub in the back left (135 out of phase) gets me in the right direction with output.

One measurement is with the screen up and one is with down.

Also I don't mind boosted lower boosted frequencies for movies. This measurements were taken from 0 to 20k

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2019, 06:08 pm »
Nicely shaped room. 

What do you mean by, "gets me in the right direction with output"?

What do you mean by "one measurement is with the screen up and one is with down"?

What advice are you looking for exactly?

jimbones

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2019, 06:19 pm »
That is some peak at 40 hz lol. What is your ceiling height?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2019, 06:43 pm »
Nicely shaped room. 

What do you mean by, "gets me in the right direction with output"? [He means it makes him happier because it sounds better.]

What do you mean by "one measurement is with the screen up and one is with down"? [Rather than having a big screen TV, he has a projector screen which is retractable.]

What advice are you looking for exactly?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2019, 06:55 pm »
I think Michael was going to advise not play Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor at volume.  The whole room would fly apart! :D

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2019, 07:00 pm »
Turn down the subs and figure out what is causing the dip at ~180Hz.

sresener

« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2019, 10:19 pm »
Ill pull all my absorption panels off the walls and take a base measurement. (I should of done this first)

Problem is my cat knocked the mic stand over (umik1) and I think its broken as Im getting really whacky results now :( . Its now telling me I have distortion and I have it set very low, also it does not seam to be reading above 8kz and I have it set for a full sweep to 20k

sresener

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2019, 01:29 pm »

This is basically my current room, I wanted to add another seat and was going to make the back half of the room 2 ft wider. Would this effect the sound quality in the room for better or worse?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2019, 01:32 pm »
Regardless of speaker placement, try your seat at 62% of the room depth back from front wall.

youngho

« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:44 pm »
It's usually helpful to take measurements of each speaker individually, not just together, and to show unsmoothed or 1/24 octave smoothing below around 250-350 Hz, but smoothing is fine above that frequency region. In addition, measurements with and without subwoofers, as well as subwoofers alone, can be helpful. For example, it's possible that you may have issues with the subwoofer phase at the crossover frequency (80 Hz is commonly used).

One potentially helpful resource is http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/acoustic_measurement_standards.pdf

Lateral symmetry with respect to the listening environment is generally desirable.