What equipment have you built recently?

face

Re: What equipment have you built recently?
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2009, 12:45 am »
Tannoy HPD-385A crossover, work in progress.  My goal was to discard the original switches and autoformer. 

Since the picture was taken, the plastic bobbin Madisound inductor has been replaced by the appropriate Alpha Core.  Soon the boxes will be stained and polyed like the Tannoy's they belong to. 

Here's the response:

Other than the dip at 400hz(due to cabinet resonance), the curve is much flatter than before. 

JoshK

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2009, 01:12 am »
For the cabinet, try an oak dowel as a cross brace.  Not too big in terms of volume and yet effective.

BillB

« Reply #42 on: 9 Aug 2009, 04:33 am »
I just finished a mega-build of my preamp design. It features HYPER-FRED diodes, Panasonic power caps with Solen bypasses, a Tubecad H-PS-1 tube heater supply, PRP resistors everywhere but the grid stoppers which have vintage carbons.

It also features a cap selector on the outputs which has a Hyrel Q PIO cap bypassed by a dayton film and a pair of dayton polys in the second slot.

Input cap is Jantzen Z-superior.

It uses 6j6 tubes, just like the base version of my pre.

the cap selector box:
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2009, 05:40 am by BillB »

jules

« Reply #43 on: 9 Aug 2009, 05:44 am »
Timothy,

if you can't find a local supplier Conrad heat sinks in Australia have what you want.

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/flat100_350.html#MF30

Conrad dimensions might seem a little odd at first sight in that they call what I'd call "length", "width" and vice versa but you can get 150mm [approx 6"] tall by 300 or 350mm [~12" and 14" respectively] sinks at reasonable prices. I'm using 4 of the latter in a Class A amp I'm building at the moment ... excellent quality! Total weight for 4 of the longer [wider  :) ?] ones is ~20lb so things can start to get heavy which could be a hazard for postage.

Jules

Berndt

« Reply #44 on: 9 Aug 2009, 06:13 am »
I am really excited to hear my new turntable, see the vinyl room for more details, or I'd be happy to share here as well.

guest48077

« Reply #45 on: 9 Aug 2009, 01:50 pm »
Recently finish a DIY Record Cleaning Machine. Works Very well.
I posted a thread a little while back going into detail on cost and constructions.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70330.0

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 9 Aug 2009, 03:23 pm »
my subs that can be seen in this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68426.0

BillB

« Reply #47 on: 9 Aug 2009, 08:58 pm »
Here is the internals:

Here is the stock version:

sts9fan

« Reply #48 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:15 pm »
New speakers for my shop.  Foxtex single driver with a "Urban Graff" finish.  Mostly a project to work on while glue/paint dries on others. 

sts9fan

« Reply #49 on: 24 Sep 2009, 12:54 pm »
Finished my Gedlee Nathan 10 speakers this week.  Here are a few pics of the process.
Just glued together

Sealed with Shellac and screwholes frilled with dowels

Screw rails added

Lots of sanding and Bondo

Seven coats of BINS primer

Drivers installed

Stupid number of screws

Finished back

Making Magic

This is the paint I used.  For the main body I used Bone White and for the back Lava Orange

These things are FANTASTIC!!

TomS

« Reply #50 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:18 pm »
Those Nathans really turned out great.  You should really enjoy them!

jrebman

« Reply #51 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:21 pm »
Chris,

Congrats on finishing the Nathans!

I recently finished all the tweaks and mods to my Horn Shoppe Horns and hope to post some pics soon.  They're sounding really, really good too.

I bought the Horns with no finish, just bare wood and some tan color faux stone applied to the Horn mouth, and then did the following:

1.) Had a local audio buddy/ pro cabinetmaker veneer and lacquer all sides but the horn mouth with Aussie Lacewood with a light tint of red analine dye.

2). Re-orient the drivers to the square orientation instead of the original diamond configuration and install #8 threaded brass inserts.

3) drill flush hole for ballast fill port cover plate and then 1/2" hole in the center of that for filling BBs.

4)  replaced stock binding posts with solid, unplated copper CMC posts and rewired with a 16" length of Chimera Labs 7-7 enameled OCC Litz wire.

5) applied 1/8" industrial noise absorbtion grade felt to upper and lower horn mouths, and rear, and back 4" of compression chamber left, right, and top surfaces.

6) Applied 3/16" gore-tex gasket around driver opening, soldered Planet 10 modified FE-126s in place (with the fluffy wool pad glued on the back of the magnet), and bolted drivers in place with #8 brass button head machine screws.

7) Filled bottoms of speakers with 24,000 BBs per side, stuffed remaining empty space with wads of compressed heavy craft paper, and screwed aluminum cover plates in place.

Setup, connect speaer wires, and enjoy...

Will post pics soon as I can figure out how to shrink them.

-- Jim

sts9fan

« Reply #52 on: 24 Sep 2009, 02:24 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will post a non crappy iphone pic later.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #53 on: 24 Sep 2009, 03:19 pm »
they look great man!!!!

Thanks guys.  I will post a non crappy iphone pic later.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #54 on: 24 Sep 2009, 03:21 pm »
I really want to do a turntable from scratch... who's the person to talk/bother/annoy with questions   aa

TomS

« Reply #55 on: 24 Sep 2009, 03:40 pm »
I really want to do a turntable from scratch... who's the person to talk/bother/annoy with questions   aa
Given your talent for wood, you might do a search for "Teres" threads on AC and elsewhere.  Also there are some folks here doing cool things with precious old Empires and Lenco's.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #56 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:11 pm »
Thanks Tom... I think my old man has a Merill turntable that has been packed away for 10ish years.. I may need to experiment
Given your talent for wood, you might do a search for "Teres" threads on AC and elsewhere.  Also there are some folks here doing cool things with precious old Empires and Lenco's.

TomS

« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:28 pm »
Thanks Tom... I think my old man has a Merill turntable that has been packed away for 10ish years.. I may need to experiment
That is a superb platform to start with... Have fun!

TomS

« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2009, 04:51 pm »
Oh, and I should have mentioned the Teres platters are usually slabs of wood  aa 

sts9fan

« Reply #59 on: 12 Nov 2009, 05:29 pm »
Finished the stands for my Nathans last night.  Based them on the "Stubby" project I read here somewhere.  The top plate is three layers of birch ply and the botton is two.  I have set a min veiwing distance or 5' and they look great.
Crappy iphone pic