So...I was perusing eBay and found this...

JakeJ

So...I was perusing eBay and found this...
« on: 2 May 2019, 06:43 pm »
Looking like one of the nicest DIY enclosures for amp builds I think I have ever seen.  Tell me what you think!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Class-A-Power-Amplifier-Chassis-Aluminum-Enclosure-DIY-Case-Golden-Box-VU-Meter/273386535695?hash=item3fa71b7b0f:m:mw_xUV_UEVNJjSChQyQlphQ

srb

Re: So...I was perusing eBay and found this...
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2019, 07:04 pm »
•  Gold front panel looks a bit tacky, maybe silver or black models exist elsewhere?

•  $800 delivered is too expensive (and doesn't include VU meter driver board)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2019, 07:36 pm »
Jake,

If you like the Accuphase look, then I don't mind the appearance, although I personally prefer silver or black. However, different people like different looks but as long as the function is preserved, no worries.

With DIY, I rarely look at cost but more at the journey and end result. You end up spending quite a bit and it is difficult to compete with mass produced products. Chassis' can be quite expensive when pretty. Hifi2000 has great enclosures, but they are less pretty. I've looked at Takachi, but you can never use them for Class A amplifier designs as the heatsinks are very small and the heat dissipation is smaller still. You pay to play. Such is life.

Best,
Anand.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2019, 07:42 pm »
If it was me, I'd use one of these
https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/dissipante

And maybe get a custom front from Front Panel Express to make it look "fancy".

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2019, 07:42 pm »
If it was me, I'd use one of these
https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/dissipante

And maybe get a custom front from Front Panel Express to make it look "fancy".

That's what I do, and the diyaudiostore has a great relationship with Hifi2000. But then again, I have my own equipment room, so nothing has to look pretty!

Best,
Anand.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2019, 08:56 pm »
Great, surely they have a McIntosh model for blue VU fanatics.
Not need anymore expend thousands dollars in thats transistors amps, just hang the faceplate on the wall :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2019, 09:11 pm »
PV, you have made some of the best looking DIY projects I have ever seen, and i'll bet just as good sounding.  Or better.

SRB, totally agree about the price.  Frankly I didn't even look at the price just the shiny gold object.  I also agree that the color is too gold.  I just really like the champagne colored faceplates of upper tier Japanese gear like Accuphase, Luxman, Yamaha, etc.  I just wasn't aware that something like that is available to the DIY community.  I also like the look of McIntosh gear, never owned any and the gear I have heard was like listening through a pitcher of cream.

randytsuch, thanks a bunch for the link, was not aware of the Dissapante line, looks very nice and much more affordable.  Like I mentioned earlier I was just slogging around on eBay and stumbled across those cases and thought to share. 

Personally I am burned out on black primarily due failing eyesight so I have been shopping all silver gears when available. 

randytsuch

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2019, 09:40 pm »
You can make a custom front, here are finish options
https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/material/anodized_aluminum/

I did it a long time ago for a DAC.

Brushed anodized aluminum looks nice, imo.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 3 May 2019, 01:07 am »
PV, you have made some of the best looking DIY projects I have ever seen, and i'll bet just as good sounding.  Or better.

Thanks. You are too kind!

Best,
Anand.