May have to go with soundbar setup

man00

May have to go with soundbar setup
« on: 27 Feb 2019, 02:22 pm »
My plans were to use my JBL L100T's as front, JBL 230's as rear, and JBL I can't recall what model as the center. But now looks like I may not have enough room for my L100T's at the position I wanted. So now I'm looking at a Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2 DTSX to use. I have not heard one in use, just going by what others have said about it. My question is how much of a hit will I take by using the Nak instead of my original plan setup..if any hit. I heard the Nak is outstanding but I would have to drive 2 hours just to hear one and that would be in store like Best Buy.
thanks

witchdoctor

Re: May have to go with soundbar setup
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2019, 06:24 pm »
My plans were to use my JBL L100T's as front, JBL 230's as rear, and JBL I can't recall what model as the center. But now looks like I may not have enough room for my L100T's at the position I wanted. So now I'm looking at a Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2 DTSX to use. I have not heard one in use, just going by what others have said about it. My question is how much of a hit will I take by using the Nak instead of my original plan setup..if any hit. I heard the Nak is outstanding but I would have to drive 2 hours just to hear one and that would be in store like Best Buy.
thanks

I own the 230's, the 225C center channel and the 210 surrounds. I use the 230's as front channels and they excel, even without a sub. My first recommendation would be to move the 230's to the front L-R and get the 220's or 210's as surrounds. The 250P or 260P sub if you need one.

If you can't do that I recommend the DefTech W Studio soundbar/sub combo on Amazon for $399, marked down from about $1200 as they are being discontinued. CNET calls it the best sound bar they ever auditioned and that was at the MSRP. Try HarmanAudio.com for the speakers, the JBL Studio2 series are all on sale.

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:05 pm »
I also wasn't about to argue about our WAF livingroom and my "normal" home theater setup, so I went with a Samsung HD850 soundbar and sub. No, it is not the same as a real, separate speaker HT setup, but it does sing pretty nice. I think it would be far better if I was allowed to get rear speakers, but right now all I have is the front soundbar and sub.

It is much better than the TV sound, if that's any consolation.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2019, 07:51 pm »
I went with the Bluesound Soundbar which is Roon Ready, the sub and rears all wireless.  Very happy with it and the sound quality is quite nice for TV and casual music listening outside of my 2ch system. 

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse-soundbar-2i/

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse-subwoofer/

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse-flex-2i/

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2019, 08:33 pm »
I have an older Def Tech (front 3 channels) soundbar I use on the main floor, along with a DIY 12 inch sub.

Love it for simplicity, cleanliness and OK sound.  For the use that TV gets (news, sports mostly) it works perfectly.

I'd consider a soundbar for "normal" use anytime.  For actual HT, I'd stick with 5.1 or whatever speaker arrangement you can live with and find room for.