Vandersteen 5A . . how good?

Slapshot

Re: Vandersteen 5A . . how good?
« Reply #40 on: 19 Jan 2021, 10:16 pm »
I knew this was an old discussion, but was really hoping for some input from those involved, originally. Perhaps they are all dead or imprisoned? :)

WGH

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jan 2021, 11:42 pm »
You should buy those Vandersteen 5A's immediately. Same as you I have heard the 5A's at shows and the only speaker that sounded better are the 7's.
I have only heard Vandersteens playing classical music, they may sound laid back on rock. Only the best, cleanest, high power amps will give you the sound you are after, I think any receiver or integrated amp will be a disappointment.

The "cheap" Vandersteen M5-HPA High Pass Mono Block Amplifier "for owners of Quatros or Model 7's which are not played loudly" are 300-Watts Into 4 Ohms.
A Van Alstine Fet Valve 600R produces 300 watts per channel, their DVA 850 Mono Block Hybrid amp produces 850 watts are two affordable amps that come to mind.

I recently heard a pair of PS Audio Stellar M1200 class D mono block amps and didn't run screaming out of the room so they may be an option too. A friend is comparing my old Van Alstine Synergy 450 to the M1200's but haven't heard back yet, comparing electronics takes a while.

genjamon

« Reply #42 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:21 am »
Have you seen this thread?  https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/vandersteen-5a-carbon-vs-5a

Some interesting comments regarding the upgraded tweeter when you go from the 5a to the 5a Carbon, which shares the same tweeter with that Quattro you were talking about, it seems.

hi5harry

« Reply #43 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:00 am »
I owned my 5a's for around 6 years and LOVED them. I think the ability to adjust them to fit into most rooms makes them fantastic. I ran mine with 120 watt mono tube amps and really like to play my music at concert levels. I never heard my amps strain so I think they will  get along with most amps. My room had high ceilings and was around 24 feet deep, but not very wide and they still had a great soundstage. I'm a big fan!

jjss49

« Reply #44 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:47 am »
tremendously good speakers

seriously

Slapshot

« Reply #45 on: 20 Jan 2021, 05:47 am »
Thanks to everyone. I did make the deal on the 5a's, and pick them up later this week. Can't wait.

I'm hoping that I can power them effectively with my superb Conrad Johnson ARTse tube amp, with 140wpc, and a ton of gain.

Based on Hi5Harry's comments, I should be good to go, it would appear. :)

JC

JackD

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jan 2021, 05:52 am »
You're only powering from 100 hz up so the CJ amp should work like a champ. I for a short time powered the Treo CT which is a power hog with the 110 wpc Odyssey Khartago with no issue. 

hi5harry

« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan 2021, 03:55 pm »
Congratulations Slapshot! How exciting to know your going to have one of the best speakers ever made. You're about to enjoy your music collection like you never have before. Do tell. What finish are they in? That's something we don't mention much, but they look fantastic also. That does add to their beauty because we do look at them when we listen. Great choice!

Slapshot

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2021, 07:30 pm »
Congratulations Slapshot! How exciting to know your going to have one of the best speakers ever made. You're about to enjoy your music collection like you never have before. Do tell. What finish are they in? That's something we don't mention much, but they look fantastic also. That does add to their beauty because we do look at them when we listen. Great choice!

Thanks Harry. They are in Bubinga wood! :)

JC

Slapshot

« Reply #49 on: 21 Jan 2021, 07:53 pm »
I've had a couple pm's, and also quite a number of comments in another forum from people claiming the 5a's absolutely need serious power, minimum 200wpc, tube (which is not easy to accomplish) and 350wpc or more solid state! They all claim that you will never know the potential of this speaker with lower wattages. Thoughts?

genjamon

« Reply #50 on: 21 Jan 2021, 08:25 pm »
Maybe a tube buffered Class D amp would be a good experiment? The new PS Audio amp if you have the budget. Otherwise, I feel like I e seen some cheaper options lately too.

Hikmer

« Reply #51 on: 21 Jan 2021, 08:51 pm »
Just be warned, these speakers require careful setup to sound correct.  They are also difficult to move, invest in Herbie's Glider cones and you can move them easily on a laminate floor.  https://herbiesaudiolab.com/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider

I run my setup with a McCormack DNA-1 and a passive preamp.  Sounds great. 

Quality cables recommended, the speakers have enough resolution to pick up minor changes.  Keep them far from a back wall if possible, make sure they are aligned forward at the same length.  Finding the sweet spot take some effort.  Follow Richards video for setting up the base using a Radio Shack meter and the 11 band equalizer.  Takes a lot of time, but worth it!

Slapshot

« Reply #52 on: 22 Jan 2021, 12:54 am »
I do have a question that has me completely confused, though. It was explained to me, by the current owner, that you connect your preamp via interconnect cable, directly to the external crossovers/high pass filters, which then connect directly to your amplifier.

While a very unusual connection scheme, I can understand how that works. What I cannot come up with any answer for, nor can any of the three audiophile friends I posed it to, is, how do the internal amplifiers that drive the low end get a signal if the entire signal from the preamp is going into the external crossovers/high pass filters? We're lost in that regard.

WGH

« Reply #53 on: 22 Jan 2021, 01:05 am »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #54 on: 22 Jan 2021, 02:29 pm »
I do have a question that has me completely confused, though. It was explained to me, by the current owner, that you connect your preamp via interconnect cable, directly to the external crossovers/high pass filters, which then connect directly to your amplifier.

While a very unusual connection scheme, I can understand how that works. What I cannot come up with any answer for, nor can any of the three audiophile friends I posed it to, is, how do the internal amplifiers that drive the low end get a signal if the entire signal from the preamp is going into the external crossovers/high pass filters? We're lost in that regard.

That's the purpose of the xover. It splits the signal to both, filters out the frequencies and lets the amp power the uppers and the internal amp power the lowers. I'm guessing the feed back to your amp is then fed back into the binding posts for the upper frequencies then?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jan 2021, 03:43 pm »
From what I see in the instruction manual, it uses a line-level active crossover, so the RCA interconnect goes from your preamp to the active crossover in the speaker, then from the active crossover to your main amp via another pair of RCA interconnects.  Then your main amp drives the top part of the speaker and an internal bass amp drives the bottom part of the speaker.

genjamon

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2021, 03:53 pm »
Nevermind, deleted the suggestion I had posted here.  I completely misunderstood how this crossover works. 
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2021, 08:01 pm by genjamon »

sunnydaze

« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2021, 06:58 pm »

I know nothing about this speaker and it's crossover setup.  And I see your confusion......if x-over is external and only has one pair of RCA outputs.   

Any external x-over must have 2 pair of RCA outputs.  That's the only way the appropriate signal can be delivered to the appropriate amp.    One output delivers HF signal to the main amp via SE i/c, other output delivers LF signal to the speakers' on-board woofer amp via SE i/c.

JackD

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:00 pm »
Preamp to crossover set to match input impedance to amp.  Speaker level connection only from main amp to binding posts of 5A and that's it.  Exact same connection method for every Vandersteen speaker involving a Vandersteen sub whether the sub is part of the speaker itself or separate. 

hi5harry

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:09 pm »
they are in line adaptors so one side connects to your interconnect and the other side connects to your amp. You do not need an extra set of interconnects, but you do need to either use xlr or rca's.