I finally rolled my tubes...

Audio Refugee

I finally rolled my tubes...
« on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:58 pm »
Not quite a year ago I decided to put together a 2 channel system and also decided to go tubes. Budget was limited, so I had to make some compromises. Recently I'd been toying with replacing my Jolida 202a integrated amp with a Primaluna Prologue Two or a Classic integrated amp; or maybe moving straight into a Primaluna Dialogue integrated.

Instead, I went against all the advice I'd been given and rolled the tubes instead. WOW! I wish I wouldn't have waited so long. Bass finally showed up! All the new tubes are matched quads or pairs. My Jolida is used and I'm the third owner. All the previous tubes had been original OEM Jolida labeled tubes. I'm guessing they're circa 2003ish.

I don't have unlimited funds to roll more than once right now, so I did do a fair bit of research and settled on this:
  • EL34s were replaced with 4 New Genelex KT77 Gold Lions - These increased the bass big time
  • 12AX7s were replaced with 2 NOS Siemens Halske 5751 E83CC 12AX7 - These brought out much more detail in the highs in mids
  • 12AU7s were replaced with NOS Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7/ECC82 Holland - These further refined the overall sound including tightening up the bass, but the changes were subtle
The final set I rolled were the two stock tubes that had been in my Parks Audio Budgie MM phono preamp - 2 Russian Electro Harmonic 6922EHs. I replaced those with 2 NOS Siemens Halske E188CC 7308 gray plate (CCa 6922). I'm still burning these in, so I'll know more in the coming weeks.

Very little of my entire system is made up of "New" anything. Most is used or NOS, so the I've been able to keep the entire system cost well within reason. The good news is that even my wife loves having music in the house again, so that's been a big win.  Definitely a fun hobby. :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: I finally rolled my tubes...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:48 pm »
Nice. Good choices on tube sets. enjoy !!!!

charles

danabunner

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2017, 12:29 am »
I have found the new Genalex KT77 tubes to be excellent.  Right up there with the best KT77s ever made. 

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2017, 02:22 am »
Very nice tube purchase.  If you ever get the urge to upgrade, skip the Prologue and Dialogue and just get one of the newer Jolida amps.  Get some more nice tubes to roll with the money you save.  I made a direct comparison between Prologue and 3502 and later Dialogue and 3502 and it was not much of a contest unless you like soft and loose bass.  Of course, my experience only with my speakers, YMMV.  Anyway, I would go for an upgrade only because biasing the older 202 is such a pain.  But you knew that already :)

Audio Refugee

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2017, 07:54 pm »
Thanks, guys. Damn I like these tubes! Course I only have what I had to compare the new ones to, but I like them a lot. A couple observations... CDs sound fantastic now. I mean really good. Solid bass, wicked mids and clear highs without being glassy. Just... nice.

But, I think they've maybe revealed a system weakness... my turntable. The TT use to beat a good digital copy of the same music all day long, but I don't think so anymore. The TT isn't bad, it's just not as good as digital now, which is disappointing. I think the main culprit may be lack of any TT isolation. I'll get that sorted soon and see if it helps.

Listening to Tom Petty right now. Damn. Sounds so good! :rock: I saw Tom at the Hollywood Bowl a week ago. Picked up his Greatest Hits double album on vinyl at Amoeba while there. Been rockin' Tom for a week solid. Bitter sweet to have been at his last concert ever... and now he's passed. Thanks for the music, Tom. I'll miss you and the Heartbreakers. :guitar: