Linear 5V power supply

akosinskiy

Linear 5V power supply
« on: 3 Oct 2023, 06:22 am »
One of my first posts here. Can someone recommend not too expensive linear power supply for 5V DC?  Looking to isolate my DAC/streamer from the rest of home network using pair of Ethernet to fiber converters and would like to use better than stock adapter for one of the units. Thanks!

richidoo

Re: Linear 5V power supply
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2023, 01:46 pm »
iFi iPower2 is excellent. It is a switcher, but far superior to standard wall warts.
Don't be afraid of SMPS, these days they can offer superior performance to linear PS.

See iFi Circle on this forum:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=161.0

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2023, 01:57 pm »
Not sure what you call expensive but, I use Farad Super3 for my turntable motor.

https://www.faradpowersupplies.com/

jandrews

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2023, 02:10 pm »
I use the 12V version of this LHY 25VA supply on my streamer with good results
they come in various voltages and also two higher powered models than this one
https://www.beatechnik.com/product-page/lps25va

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2023, 02:59 pm »
All depends how pretty you want the power supply to look. The pretty ones can cost a lot.

I use industrial linear regulated power supplies from Acopian, they are built to last forever so I always buy used on eBay.

Acopian 5EB200 5v 2 amp linear power supply. ($20 on eBay)
Load 0.25%, Line 0.05%, Ripple 1 mV RMS

Acopian B5G400 5v 4 amp linear regulated power supply ($45 on eBay)
Load 0.3 %, Line 0.1%, Ripple 1.5 mV RMS

I use the Acopian Series B - General Purpose (model numbers begin with the letter B) Gold Box power supplies, they are always available on eBay.

If you want the very best can go for the Acopian Series A - High Performance (model numbers begin with the letter A). The regulation and ripple specifications beat any PSU available.
Load + - 0.005%
Line + - 0.005%
Ripple 0.25 mV RMS

I go to the Acopian website and look up the model number of the power supplies that will work and then paste that number into an eBay search. They never hum or buzz and run cool. I never had one fail.

akosinskiy

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2023, 04:32 pm »
Thanks for your responses, very informative.

@WGH: Should I assume that if required current is 1A then 2A would be more than enough or I should go for 4A?

zoom25

« Reply #8 on: 4 Oct 2023, 06:59 pm »
I have 2 Teradak power supply (12V13A) and a U9 (X1/X2?) which comes with a 5V USB port for which you can get a USB to DC cable. I like my Teradak LPS. I haven't tried other LPS outside of them, so don't know where exactly they rank in comparison to others. The other power modification I've made is Torus to the system. Teradak and Torus do the same thing sonically.

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2023, 04:23 am »
Yes, it is overkill but I bet it sounds good.

No such thing as overkill for a power supply. Here's a gut shot of my 20 lb. 12V LPS which powers a streamer:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2023, 03:02 pm »
No such thing as overkill for a power supply. Here's a gut shot of my 20 lb. 12V LPS which powers a streamer:

I said that because of the price.  He wanted to stay cheap and the 2 LPS's that I posted links to are 1/2 the price and are very similar.

akosinskiy

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2023, 01:18 am »

I said that because of the price.  He wanted to stay cheap and the 2 LPS's that I posted links to are 1/2 the price and are very similar.

With the shipping rates to Canada they become very similar around 100CAD all in; the one I posted has free shipping...

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 6 Oct 2023, 01:55 am »
I use the LPS from Small Green Computer for my Sonore Ethernet to fiber converters. No complaints to date.

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/linear-power-supplies/products/sgc-5v-12v-linear-power-supply-25w

akosinskiy

« Reply #14 on: 6 Oct 2023, 03:09 am »
I use the LPS from Small Green Computer for my Sonore Ethernet to fiber converters. No complaints to date.
263CAD is not cheap at all :(