Pwave as headphone amp?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Pwave as headphone amp?
« on: 20 Apr 2004, 11:56 pm »
I seem to recall someone here saying the Griffin made a great phone amp.  Can anyone verify this?  I think it only has a minijack- would you just have to use an adapter?

Figo

Pwave as headphone amp?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2004, 12:16 am »
I've been wondering about the same thing.  if it doesn't work out, vintage receivers are the way to go <$200.

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Pwave as headphone amp?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2004, 07:53 pm »
Which vintage recievers? The one I tried was WAY too bright...

Biggie.

hmen

Pwave as headphone amp?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2004, 08:25 pm »
I think I was the one who mentioned it as a headphone amp. I bought it out of curiosity. Originally I tried it between my AES/Cary preamp  and Omega TS33 speakers. I then used it between my walkman and headphones when I was staying in a hotel.  I'm now using it at home for my headphones out of the auxilliary output on my pre (no headphone output) and I'm very happy with it. It has a minijack. I got the the adapter at ratshack for $3.

Smeggy

Pwave as headphone amp?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2004, 09:17 pm »
Definately!
I use the PW as my headphone amp and it does a great job. I fitted mine with a volume pot and crossfeed circuit but that's not essential. All it needs is the volume and it works as a great integrated amp through the RCA's. You can use an adapter for 1/4" plugs and it's powerful enough to drive all my 'phones to very loud levels without trouble. Sounds very nice too.

Figo

Pwave as headphone amp?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2004, 09:36 pm »
old marantz/fishers/scott receivers can be had for under $100 most of the time.  Most people seem to use marantz, but I bet a good scott tube receiver would sound even better.