What's Going On At Audiogon? Gone?

bummrush

Re: What's Going On At Audiogon? Gone?
« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2011, 12:33 pm »
It would be huge nothing gets exposure like Agon no one else even gets close

chester_audio

« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2011, 03:03 pm »
Unless the industry finds a better avenue for moving used/older/excess equipment I doubt Audiogon is going anywhere soon. Tens of millions of dollars go across A'gon every year, and IIRC they were around long before eBay. Notice the lack of ads on their pages, ala the Asylum. They certainly don't collect all of the fees due to them, so I think they are pretty good sports about it. The forums are a side line. Audiogon is organized differently, and so they don't operate the same way as Audiocircles or the Asylum or most every other audio site.

Minn Mark

« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2011, 03:13 pm »
Still not working for me, Friday morning.

M

AVnerdguy

« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2011, 03:15 pm »
Was just on the site - 10:16 CDT. All links were working.

Phil A

« Reply #44 on: 20 May 2011, 03:18 pm »
Same here. Looks fine until I drill into a listing, then I get this:

Error: Page cannot be displayed. Please contact service provider for more details. (7)

But the error is served by the audiogon.com domain, same as the home page. The page with the search results is cgi.audiogon.com, which might be on a different machine. Featured ads that link to cgi.audiogon.com still come up, but not the regular classified ads. Show.audiogon.com and auctions (on cgi.) still work.

Looks like something is just broken.

I just got that same error.  As I noted a couple of pages back, I'll have stuff to sell soon.  As I noted their fees have gone up lots.  While, it may not thrill me, I do understand but it is with the expectation that you are paying for something glitch free.  If it is not something they correct real soon, for what they charge, I'll likely look elsewhere.  It's one thing to charge high fees with good and steady service, it's another to charge them and have the quality of service decline.  Kind of tells me they may not be managed as well as they can.  Customer service is important.

bacobits1

« Reply #45 on: 20 May 2011, 03:19 pm »
Not working here on the Ads at 11:18AM
If it ain't working here it's not working.  :roll:
Are we OCD or what?

D

mitch stl

« Reply #46 on: 20 May 2011, 03:27 pm »
This thread has gone way off topic.

The only issue right now is classified listings aren't displaying.

Rumors and speculation are heavy on several internet audio forums, yet Audiogon remains completely silent. The old "nothing to see here, move along..." ploy.

You would think an internet business would have at least a hint of common sense about public relations when a vividly apparent problem arises. You acknowledge the issue, tell people when you expect it to be fixed, or at least that you're working on it.

To do otherwise is just inviting backlash.

bunky

« Reply #47 on: 20 May 2011, 03:50 pm »
I love Audiogon,i  just bought a beautiful 8/10 condition pair of Silverline Audio Sonata Mk III speakers that retailed for $7200.00 for $2670.00 . i am a blue collar pipefitter /mechanical forman and i can buy gear that i otherwise would not be able to afford at much more reasonable prices.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #48 on: 20 May 2011, 03:54 pm »
I think they should add the days of down time to everyone's account.

ken

« Reply #49 on: 20 May 2011, 04:09 pm »
Looks like it's back up and functioning normally now, at least for the time being :wink:

ratso

« Reply #50 on: 20 May 2011, 04:24 pm »
Looks like it's back up and functioning normally now, at least for the time being :wink:

i can confirm - just purchased something.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #51 on: 20 May 2011, 04:28 pm »
I haven't sold anything in at least a year now....but, I did want to say that our own Marketplace area at AudioCircle, as feature-less as it is, is nonetheless FREE to use  :thumb:

I have not listed anything on Audiogon in a fair bit over 3 years and have sold 10 of 12 items I had for sale here at AudioCircle.  For the grand price of zero  :notworthy:

As a sales and marketing guy, selling things may come easier to me than for others (believe me, I am in awe of many of your various skills that I will never have, so I'm not gloating here - I'm just trying to give back )

A successful ad here at AudioCircle needs....

* Good pics and many of them at various angles

* A clear statement of price in the header line and within the first paragraph

* A clear statement of shipping terms - best if you can fit in header line (not always possible), but, definitely within the first paragraph

* Refer to Audiogon (assuming it exists in the future) for prices of the same or similar items.  Note how long it is taking to sell and honestly evaluate if they are priced fairly.

* A write up, to the best of your ability, of the history of the item in your possession, the sonics attributes you heard with the item, your system componentry, and maybe even your background with anything similar in the past.  Make it personal, put some time into it - excess money is finite and you are competing with a HUGE marketplace to be heard

* Answer every question in the topic quickly and thoroughly (humor is often good, but if it's not in your nature, just be yourself and straight)

* Answer every PM quickly and thoroughly ( (humor is often good, but if it's not in your nature, just be yourself and straight)

* If you find it languishing for a bit longer than you'd like, consider a price cut.  Every item has it's price - the market is likely telling you that yours is currently too high if it sits idle. Depending on your financial situation and patience, don't think you have to SLASH the price immediately (unless you want to)

* Bump it forward with good cause.  The 'bump' comment merely to move an item up in the pecking order is tiring; try adding another picture, an additional comment, a review from the internet or some other way to move it up on the day's topics at AC

I hope this proves helpful for more than a few of you. I see ads every day here for very salable stuff that I know could be sold successfully with a few of the missing points above.

John

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 20 May 2011, 04:29 pm »

Not quite for me - I am able to click on an ad - but when I hit the 'search' button on the home page I get the error message.  I use that to search by zip

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 20 May 2011, 04:33 pm »
I would have to say with the last few things I've sold, I have had almost as good a response here, with the exception of an item here or there, than I have on Audiogon.  Besides the price of the ad, I do feel better (maybe it's just me) about getting things from or selling things to the member base.  To me it's a combination of supporting Audio Circle and the more personable contact there seems to be.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #54 on: 20 May 2011, 04:37 pm »
I'm not getting any errors. Looks like they renewed:

Registrant:
audiogon
   ATTN AUDIOGON.COM
   care of Network Solutions
   PO Box 459
   Drums, PA.  US  18222

Domain Name: AUDIOGON.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Chinta, Arnie               
      Audiogon, Inc.
      ATTN AUDIOGON.COM
      care of Network Solutions
      PO Box 459
      Drums, PA 18222
      US
      570-708-8780

Record expires on 13-May-2013.
   Record created on 14-May-1998.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS2.SECURE.NET               
   NS1.SECURE.NET

Gvt1911

« Reply #55 on: 20 May 2011, 04:40 pm »
Seems to be working again.... :wink:

trebejo

« Reply #56 on: 20 May 2011, 07:23 pm »
For example, I'd love to be able to sort all speakers under $1,000 within driving distance of me, but unfortunately that's not possible. I also realize I might be a small minority that wants these "modern" features, but I know I want them.

Gee, a bit of an obvious feature, wouldn't you say?

They also lack specific categories for headphones and phono step-up devices.

One can forgive such bits of cluelessness when there is a good bunch of people behind it all, but with their crass censorship of any post critical of their sacred cows (e.g. magic wire$) it is hard to believe that they are such a good bunch.

Now, the ultimate bit of cluelessness, messing up on the DNS issue. Makes you wonder why people trust them with the sale of very, very expensive items to complete strangers, doesn't it?

kingdeezie

« Reply #57 on: 20 May 2011, 09:12 pm »
Gee, a bit of an obvious feature, wouldn't you say?

They also lack specific categories for headphones and phono step-up devices.

One can forgive such bits of cluelessness when there is a good bunch of people behind it all, but with their crass censorship of any post critical of their sacred cows (e.g. magic wire$) it is hard to believe that they are such a good bunch.

Now, the ultimate bit of cluelessness, messing up on the DNS issue. Makes you wonder why people trust them with the sale of very, very expensive items to complete strangers, doesn't it?

With some exception for others I am sure, but, I have never purchased anything from Audiogon, or to my knowledge, the people that own it, directly.

The site merely functions as a virtual "classifieds" AD space for people who are into audiophile equipment and music.

How they run there forum is up to them honestly, its their forum.

However I have sold a lot of equipment that wouldn't move here because of price on audiogon within hours; and its loss would be a great hit to a lot of hard working people who want quality equipment with down to earth pricing.

I bought some Manley Neo Classic 250s on audiogon; they retail now for 12,500. That's a lot of cheddar I didn't pay because I bought used on Audiogon; and they kick ass.  :thumb:

I have purchased most of my current equipment there for large discounts due to people's circumstances and the economy; etc; etc; etc. 

Paying to list the item is perfectly reasonble, however I do disagree with the sales percentage they get and because of this usually take my correspondants with buyers email to email instead of via the audiogon purchasing system.

rodge827

« Reply #58 on: 20 May 2011, 10:37 pm »
Audiogon is a great place to surf and see some new and vintage gear for sale. I use it mainly to keep up on pricing and to learn about areas of audio that I'm unfamiliar with. You can learn a lot by reading ads and then cross reference with a web search. Selling gear there is another issue for me. When Agon first implemented the new fee structure I stopped using them for sales. I just sold a whole lot of gear, for a systems change, and had no trouble selling in the free classifieds here on AC as well as Audio Asylum and Diy Audio.org.
Rodge 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #59 on: 20 May 2011, 11:12 pm »
It ain't workin for me. I get the page advertising for the domain name.