Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!

pslate

Re: Soundfield Audio Monitor 1... Here We Go!
« Reply #200 on: 21 May 2012, 08:47 pm »
Wow indeed!! Looks like tomorrow I'll swing by the office incognito to pick them up. You guys pushed me over the edge!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #201 on: 21 May 2012, 08:55 pm »
X 2  :icon_surprised:
Ok, that's not to say that there wouldn't be some sacrifices. But the LS9's are huge, completely dominate a multipurpose room, definitely test the limits of my wife's patience, and sound amazing. But the Soundfields sound amazing also. Not as big, not as orchestral, not quite as detailed, but excellent imaging, soundstage, and performance ambiance.  I think they are the best small speaker I've heard (including Fritz, Harbeth). They run a close second to the GR Super V from 100Hz up. Nothing that I have heard gets the bottom like the V series servo woofers or the LS9.

Rclark

« Reply #202 on: 21 May 2012, 09:50 pm »
I think they are the best small speaker I've heard (including Fritz, Harbeth). They run a close second to the GR Super V from 100Hz up.

double WWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWW :o

These just popped back onto my radar. Option 4 for next speaker.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #203 on: 21 May 2012, 10:16 pm »
Sheesh.  Do I need to purchase a pair for a tour?   :rotflmao:

TomS

« Reply #204 on: 21 May 2012, 10:29 pm »
Sheesh.  Do I need to purchase a pair for a tour?   :rotflmao:
A few NCores, Soundfields, music, crazy audiophiles, and an RV. Road trip  :green:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #205 on: 21 May 2012, 10:31 pm »
A few NCores, Soundfields, music, crazy audiophiles, and an RV. Road trip  :green:

Just like Zu Audio....it obviously works very well for him.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #206 on: 21 May 2012, 10:39 pm »
Ok, that's not to say that there wouldn't be some sacrifices. But the LS9's are huge, completely dominate a multipurpose room, definitely test the limits of my wife's patience, and sound amazing. But the Soundfields sound amazing also. Not as big, not as orchestral, not quite as detailed, but excellent imaging, soundstage, and performance ambiance.  I think they are the best small speaker I've heard (including Fritz, Harbeth). They run a close second to the GR Super V from 100Hz up. Nothing that I have heard gets the bottom like the V series servo woofers or the LS9.

Oh, I knew what you meant. I have Maggies and would making trade-offs if I went the small monitor route, too. I'd sure like to hear these someday to see what everyone's raving about. The price is certainly reasonable.

shadowlight

« Reply #207 on: 22 May 2012, 12:09 am »
I've probably tried every 8" sub available (including Scan Speak, etc.), except the GR/Rythmik servo...still no new amp available (only the existing too large one).

AJ,

Are you potentially looking at getting the 8" servo sub?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #208 on: 22 May 2012, 01:28 am »
AJ,

Are you potentially looking at getting the 8" servo sub?
Sure. Always looking. Won't work until they get the new amp sorted out though.
And it's not like the current version is coming up short here. The Servo might give a bit more headroom/cleanness, but below the schroeder frequency of the room (and often above), bass quality is a room/source interaction issue, especially with a monopole such as these, with LF capability to excite the full spectrum of modes all the way down into the sparse region. At LSAF, leaning forward just a few inches on the sofa made a significant difference, as the wall directly behind it represented a pressure maxima. I had a few folks do just that to demonstrate the point.
Btw, are you in the NY area per chance? Might want to check with Rollo. If not, should have one at Capfest, between myself or Rollo. No need to cyber-speculate when you can experience first hand. :wink:
If I can ever clear the backlog during my spare time (also sparse, with 50hr minimum work weeks), I'll try to cobble up a tour pair (there is already a long ago promised list, so don't get too excited).

pslate

« Reply #209 on: 23 May 2012, 11:13 pm »
They came in without issue AJ :thumb: There was a hole in the box, but on the amp side, and no damage.

Almost done with my first song. Tide from Trentemoller, off of Into The Great Wide Yonder. Only expletives suffice for now  :thumb:

revision, by expletives, I mean in the good sense!!!!!!!!

Rclark

« Reply #210 on: 23 May 2012, 11:34 pm »

How do you think the Ncore top end would mate up with the BASH low end? Or is there a way to disable the BASH amp and run the whole thing with an NCORE?

Cause these speakers might be perfect for my living room mains.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #211 on: 24 May 2012, 01:51 am »
How do you think the Ncore top end would mate up with the BASH low end?
It would see a very high impedance highway and seek the nearest off ramp. :wink:

Or is there a way to disable the BASH amp and run the whole thing with an NCORE?
No, as the function of the subwoofer plate amp is far more than just amplification. It's also multiple filters. There would be zero benefit and much detriment in doing so.
The NCORE should have no problem driving them >200hz, the vast majority of the music spectrum.

cheers,

AJ

shadowlight

« Reply #212 on: 24 May 2012, 02:02 am »
Sure. Always looking. Won't work until they get the new amp sorted out though.
And it's not like the current version is coming up short here. The Servo might give a bit more headroom/cleanness, but below the schroeder frequency of the room (and often above), bass quality is a room/source interaction issue, especially with a monopole such as these, with LF capability to excite the full spectrum of modes all the way down into the sparse region. At LSAF, leaning forward just a few inches on the sofa made a significant difference, as the wall directly behind it represented a pressure maxima. I had a few folks do just that to demonstrate the point.
Btw, are you in the NY area per chance? Might want to check with Rollo. If not, should have one at Capfest, between myself or Rollo. No need to cyber-speculate when you can experience first hand. :wink:
If I can ever clear the backlog during my spare time (also sparse, with 50hr minimum work weeks), I'll try to cobble up a tour pair (there is already a long ago promised list, so don't get too excited).

I heard Jim's (Hogg) SA1 couple of weeks ago at the NY RAVE gathering and enjoyed listening to them.

Rclark

« Reply #213 on: 24 May 2012, 05:45 am »
Thanks AJ, and it's not a concern really, mostly just curious. Your speaker has already got about the highest praise possible, I'm sure the bass produced by the built in amp is fabulous.

If I got them they'd be running off a Virtue Two.2 for quite a while anyway (hardly suffering there).
« Last Edit: 24 May 2012, 07:02 am by Rclark »

pslate

« Reply #214 on: 24 May 2012, 01:05 pm »
Very happy after night 1 with my SAM-1's. It is certainly too early to render any serious judgements, but I have a couple of general assessments which are self evident  :thumb:

They have the big room filling sound as coaxialy advertised
They sound quite nice at low volumes
The female voice is rendered with a beauty/delicacy that is just so enticing
Sound nice and smooth, never harsh

My wife works long and irregular hours, and is often catching up on sleep at home. The low volume playback was an unexpected benefit to the monitors. I had fun listening to them last night after she hit the hay. Certainly the ability to control bass volume here is very nice. Goosing the the bass a tad at low volumes fills out the sound nicely.

I still need to play with toe in a bit, but I just plopped them down on my stands and they sounded great! I also needed a speaker that could handle acoustically challenged room, without the need much in the way of treatments, or changes to room layout. I have a feeling that the SAM-1's will come through in this regard.

But after all this is just after my first few hours with them, so I am certain I will get a much better understanding of them with time.

Great work AJ!!!!!!

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #215 on: 24 May 2012, 03:33 pm »
I heard Jim's (Hogg) SA1 couple of weeks ago at the NY RAVE gathering and enjoyed listening to them.
IIRC, Jim's was the last ED version I shipped. The one Rollo is bringing to the next RAVE has the TB subs. Not sure if you're attending that one.

Thanks AJ, and it's not a concern really, mostly just curious. Your speaker has already got about the highest praise possible, I'm sure the bass produced by the built in amp is fabulous.
If I got them they'd be running off a Virtue Two.2 for quite a while anyway (hardly suffering there).
I actually had my eyes on those Virtues a while back, as a "travel" amp for the audio shows circuit. Perfect size! Plenty enough power as well, unless you have a large room and like higher SPLs. Seemed for a while they had a hard time keeping them in stock.

Certainly the ability to control bass volume here is very nice. Goosing the the bass a tad at low volumes fills out the sound nicely.

I still need to play with toe in a bit, but I just plopped them down on my stands and they sounded great! I also needed a speaker that could handle acoustically challenged room, without the need much in the way of treatments, or changes to room layout. I have a feeling that the SAM-1's will come through in this regard.

But after all this is just after my first few hours with them, so I am certain I will get a much better understanding of them with time.

Great work AJ!!!!!!
Thanks Paul. Yes, do play with the bass level and toe-in/positioning in general, they are designed for the room to be your friend, not enemy...and feel free to crank them if the wife is out :lol:

cheers,

AJ

p.s. is there a "Multi-quote" function that I'm missing here on the board? :oops:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #216 on: 24 May 2012, 04:27 pm »
   We will be using  Arion HS 500 hybrid Class "D" mono blocks and a Miracle Audio Preamp at the Rave meet. Hey maybe Hogg will bring the N-Cores, just not sure if he owns them yet.

charles

pslate

« Reply #217 on: 29 May 2012, 02:23 pm »
These maxi-monitors have exceeded my expectations in every way. I was expecting quite a bit too. I did not really need new speakers, or maybe I should say, I did not realize at first that I needed new speakers until listening to these:thumb: $1300 ain't chump change for me, but at this price I was able to pick them up and give them a shot. Tremendous value, and a superb buying experience. These may be just the monitors you never knew you really needed!!

Dr.Cmnsky

« Reply #218 on: 30 May 2012, 03:15 am »
The Monitor 1's and its reviews brought me to this forum... but.... herm..... coming soon?

:oops:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #219 on: 30 May 2012, 04:40 am »
not to speaker of the 1812 Overtures. Good name BTW.

http://tinyurl.com/csz89ud

This configuration seems to be catching on - probably for good reason:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dynamikks/1.html