After watching Mystic River today...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
After watching Mystic River today...
« on: 27 Apr 2004, 04:49 am »
I really think Bill Murray & Johnny Depp got screwed.  Sure, Penn turned in another workmanlike performance playing the same character he's played in nearly every film since At Close Range.  Nothing to criticize, but certainly not on the level of Depps creation of Cap'n Jack Sparrow.  Or even Murray's performance in Lost In Translation.  And for that matter, both of those were better movies than Mystic River.

Maybe it's just me, but while I enjoyed it there really wasn't any character I was very sympathetic to.  If you haven't seen the film but intend too, READ NO FURTHER!  SPOILERS AHEAD!

You initially feel for Penn's character, but you never know the girl enough to be too outraged, and for his own part he's enough of a scumbag that you almost feel he deserves it.  And Dave is not blameless either- he's definately a whackjob.  When he dies he's really just paying a bill he owes.

That said, Robbins richly deserved his Oscar.  I almost wouldn't have recognized him in this one.  He totally becomes the twisted and damaged sicko he portrays.

I'd give it a 6.5 of 10.  Solid, but I'm not gonna be adding it to my DVD collection.