Dennis Had Inspire

peckjed

Dennis Had Inspire
« on: 24 Nov 2018, 02:47 am »
Potentially letting my 20w parallel single ended pentode (SEP) Dennis Had Inspire power amplifier. Currently setup with 6l6 (4), 5U4 rectifier, 6SN7 driver and 0A3 voltage regulator tubes (3). Sounds awesome, similar to his other Inspire offerings but with more power and slam. Purchased new from Dennis earlier this year.

SOLD + shipping or local pickup in CT.

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2019, 04:34 am by peckjed »

peckjed

Re: Dennis Had Inspire
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2018, 07:29 pm »
Can include either 6L6 (shown) or KT120 upon sale for no added charge. This amp can take just about any power tube you throw at it.

peckjed

« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2018, 03:03 am »
Bump to SOLD

peckjed

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2018, 10:54 pm »
Bump!

dsd-7

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2018, 10:51 pm »
I have an Inspire PSE with IIPS and can vouch for this amp. Whoever gets this will be amazed how great it sounds.  Single ended amp with dynamics!  Great price on it too.  Incredible little amplifiers.  GLWS

peckjed

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2018, 09:01 pm »
I have an Inspire PSE with IIPS and can vouch for this amp. Whoever gets this will be amazed how great it sounds.  Single ended amp with dynamics!  Great price on it too.  Incredible little amplifiers.  GLWS

Thanks! Dennis makes excellent amps!

Yomaha

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:19 pm »
Can this run KT150's?

peckjed

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:23 pm »
I believe so. Dennis' amps can run just about anything you throw at them. I have not personally tried KT150 (I don't like the rocket ship appearance). I can include KT120 with the amp if you'd like instead of the 6L6

peckjed

« Reply #8 on: 8 Dec 2018, 10:19 pm »
Can this run KT150's?

I spoke with Dennis and the amp can certainly run KT150s.

peckjed

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2018, 08:11 pm »
Bump SOLD

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:02 pm »
Hello. While I am not in the market for this amp at this time, I am a year away aprox., I was wondering if I could ask some questions? If that's o.k. then...

-How would you rate the top and bottom end. I have heard single ended amps where the top and bottom were soft, lacked detail, bite, and smack.

-Top SET amps throw the best imaging, not only a vast soundstage but, for me, cast individual instruments in a 3D way, not flat images as most A/B amps do. How are these amps that way?

-What is the tonal character like? Clean and clear like an Audio Research, or more colored and textured?

-If you were to find faults in them, what would they be?

Thanks

Rocket Ronny

peckjed

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:22 pm »
Hello. While I am not in the market for this amp at this time, I am a year away aprox., I was wondering if I could ask some questions? If that's o.k. then...

-How would you rate the top and bottom end. I have heard single ended amps where the top and bottom were soft, lacked detail, bite, and smack.

-Top SET amps throw the best imaging, not only a vast soundstage but, for me, cast individual instruments in a 3D way, not flat images as most A/B amps do. How are these amps that way?

-What is the tonal character like? Clean and clear like an Audio Research, or more colored and textured?

-If you were to find faults in them, what would they be?

Thanks

Rocket Ronny

Hey. No problem answering the questions!

The top and bottom end on this amp is very nice. I’ve experienced what you are referring to and this amp does not suffer from that. It very well depend on your speakers though. I had a pair of Omegas that sounded relatively dull but when I hooked up my AudioNote AN-J All the life I was missing was restored.

This amp definitely has that 3D imagery you mention. I was using a Primaluna Dialogue 4 previously and it was nice but this amp is leaps and bounds better in terms of presentation of the music.

Sonic character is lively. Possibly a little colored? I haven’t found many SET amps that don’t add some color. Definitely more engaging than other amps I’ve listened to - including other SET amps.

Honestly, this amp doesn’t have many faults in my book. I like it so much I’m having Dennis build me a 300B version with his last chassis of this style. If it wasn’t for that amp I’d never part with this one.

shadowlight

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:01 am »
Not in the market either but might help other folks who are looking if you could add the following to the first post

1) I believe the amp setup is Parallel Single Ended
2) Types of output tubes supported (you mentioned KT150 are supported, any other tubes supported)
3) Total Watts based on output tube/rectifier combination
4) Link to Dennis Had website, I know he sells it directly via eBay
5) Does it have speaker binding post for 4/8/16?

Good luck with the sale

peckjed

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:11 am »
Not in the market either but might help other folks who are looking if you could add the following to the first post

1) I believe the amp setup is Parallel Single Ended
2) Types of output tubes supported (you mentioned KT150 are supported, any other tubes supported)
3) Total Watts based on output tube/rectifier combination
4) Link to Dennis Had website, I know he sells it directly via eBay
5) Does it have speaker binding post for 4/8/16?

Good luck with the sale

1 - yes. Parallel single ended pentode
2 - 6l6, kt88, kt120, kt150, kt77, el34, etc.
3 - I don’t think that’s correct. He uses the rectifier in the infinite power supply not in the traditional rectifier sense. So it should be mostly power tube (Dennis is never entirely clear about this)
4 - doesn’t have a website. eBay or directly via email.
5 - 8 ohm speakers.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:13 pm »
There is also a megathread on Dennis' amps:
https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170

(My avatar is a KT150 Inspire)

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2018, 05:01 pm »
What does Dennis charge for this amp new?

What benefit are you looking for by going 300 b?  I had a Sun 300 b amp and while it imaged as good as a decware EL84c I found the sound boring. So I am reluctant to go 300 b again.

Rocket Ronny

peckjed

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2018, 05:50 pm »
What does Dennis charge for this amp new?

What benefit are you looking for by going 300 b?  I had a Sun 300 b amp and while it imaged as good as a decware EL84c I found the sound boring. So I am reluctant to go 300 b again.

Rocket Ronny

The special edition amps are closer to $3,000.

I’ve always wanted to try 300B, which is why I am trying that.

roscoe65

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2018, 01:25 pm »
I will ad my 2 cents.  I don't know why peckjed is selling his amp, but if he is anything like me he will regret it at one point (I wish I had a bunch of stuff I sold).

I own the earlier version of this amp with a SS rectifier and IIPS tube buffered PS.  It is a wonderful amp and incredibly versatile.  I also own Omega speakers and the amp works very well with them.  OP's opinion regarding the Omega speakers may be the voicing of the speakers and amp.  His amp may be a little more polite than mine.

This amp will work with just about anything over 90dB very well.  It has the traditional SE amp sound but is more modern sounding due to parts choice and voicing.  Dennis uses a lot of high quality but not boutique parts.  It is a fast sounding amp IMO, but needs a preamp to be most successful.

The real beauty of the amp is its ability to run just about any pentode or beam power tube you want.  Power runs from 10wpc (6F6 or 6V6) to about 22wpc (KT77, KT88, etc.) and everything in between.  This is a far cry from simply rolling different 6SN7 or 300B tubes.  You can completely change the character in the amp.

I'm currently using this to push an Altec 414/802 speaker of about 95dB.  I can "tune" the sound to be laid back or change tubes to KT88 to be a little more rough-n-ready for harder music.

This is a great, low parts count, hardwired amp that should last you for years.  I paid an insider's price for mine, but would consider the OP's $2,000 asking price to be a real bargain.  You also don't have to wait for Dennis to build your amp.

peckjed

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2018, 01:35 pm »
I will ad my 2 cents.  I don't know why peckjed is selling his amp, but if he is anything like me he will regret it at one point (I wish I had a bunch of stuff I sold).

I own the earlier version of this amp with a SS rectifier and IIPS tube buffered PS.  It is a wonderful amp and incredibly versatile.  I also own Omega speakers and the amp works very well with them.  OP's opinion regarding the Omega speakers may be the voicing of the speakers and amp.  His amp may be a little more polite than mine.

This amp will work with just about anything over 90dB very well.  It has the traditional SE amp sound but is more modern sounding due to parts choice and voicing.  Dennis uses a lot of high quality but not boutique parts.  It is a fast sounding amp IMO, but needs a preamp to be most successful.

The real beauty of the amp is its ability to run just about any pentode or beam power tube you want.  Power runs from 10wpc (6F6 or 6V6) to about 22wpc (KT77, KT88, etc.) and everything in between.  This is a far cry from simply rolling different 6SN7 or 300B tubes.  You can completely change the character in the amp.

I'm currently using this to push an Altec 414/802 speaker of about 95dB.  I can "tune" the sound to be laid back or change tubes to KT88 to be a little more rough-n-ready for harder music.

This is a great, low parts count, hardwired amp that should last you for years.  I paid an insider's price for mine, but would consider the OP's $2,000 asking price to be a real bargain.  You also don't have to wait for Dennis to build your amp.

Thanks for your info! I've had 2 sets of Omegas and the RS8's by no means were dull, and the amp was very fast as you described. I think in regards to my Omega SAM's I think my expectations were set incorrectly in purchasing them. The RS8's are overly bright speakers and the SAMs had a much more resolving mid-high mid but aren't as bright as the RS8's. They definitely had a very lovely and defined sound, but I was missing what a tweeter brought to the table.

You're also absolutely correct that this amp can take just about any tube you can throw at it. The only reason I'm selling is because Dennis is building me a 17w PSE 300B amplifier in his last chassis of the style I am selling. Honestly, if I can sell a few other things I might just keep both amps. So someone needs to jump quick before I change my mind :)

roscoe65

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:13 pm »
Thanks for your info! I've had 2 sets of Omegas and the RS8's by no means were dull, and the amp was very fast as you described. I think in regards to my Omega SAM's I think my expectations were set incorrectly in purchasing them. The RS8's are overly bright speakers and the SAMs had a much more resolving mid-high mid but aren't as bright as the RS8's. They definitely had a very lovely and defined sound, but I was missing what a tweeter brought to the table.

You're also absolutely correct that this amp can take just about any tube you can throw at it. The only reason I'm selling is because Dennis is building me a 17w PSE 300B amplifier in his last chassis of the style I am selling. Honestly, if I can sell a few other things I might just keep both amps. So someone needs to jump quick before I change my mind :)

Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it!

I've had the opportunity to hear a high end PSE 300B amp (Border Patrol) in a home environment with a first class front end and preamp driving a pair of Volti-modded Klipschorns.  I could never warm up to the 300B.  To my ears it sounds a little slow and lifeless.

I personally like a little livelier sound.  My Altecs are pretty technicolor in nature and my (RS-5 based) Omegas are pretty midrange-forward.  I do, however, find myself needing to be much more careful in system matching the Omega speakers.  They rely on full frequency extension of the partnering amp to deliver high frequencies.  When I use anything that is softer on top (RWA Signature 16, Chord Mojo) they tend to close up a little and I find myself wishing for a separate tweeter.  My current triode amp is a Fi-circuit 421A SET amp.  It runs about 4.5wpc, has great bass, and great HF extension.  It works really well with the Omegas and pretty well with the Altecs.

Your ANJ speakers are the direct descendant of the Snell Type J.  These Snell 8" two-ways are still some of the best all-around speakers for their size (especially for the price!).  It is an honest 90dB speaker and should do well with amplifiers from 5 watts and up.  It might be hard for you to find an amp that will significantly better your PSE at a reasonable price with your speakers.