Lessons in SqueezeBox, the couple things I learned, and maybe you should know!

Folsom

If you do the output capacitor mod get RCA's that mount via a nut on the outside. The biggest reason to do this is to run very short wires next to the PCB, mostly through the now unused RC network area. If you run longer ones so your case is always attached via the RCA's that mount differently you will inevitably pick up a lot of noise. Make sure your wires do not go near the antenna wires.

If your Squeezebox appears to have serious network issues etc... Check your router and make sure it is getting proper ventilation. Mine was covered by a bean-bag from my roommates. This caused it to be hot to the point I could smell it when I lifted it up. The thermal detection I suspected for shutting my Squeezebox down was from the router, not the Squeezebox itself. Dang I am pretty good at trouble shooting, was just looking in the wrong place. All I needed to know was the temperate of my Squeezebox was not abnormal and boom I figured it all out. Also if you get IP conflicts I would vote to switch to disable DHCP server. Also use mac address filtering or something, as if your neighbors steal internet from you it messes with the signal for some reason, and makes your computer get dropped and reconnect, sometimes it takes long enough the Squeezebox can run it's buffer out.

The Squeezebox itself runs a little faster if you set it to simple background whatever display. If you have just the bouncing right and left bars it responds faster than if you have the full spectrum. The other thing is there is less noise if you use a simpler setting. You could also get Wayne's, from Bolder Cable Company, bad ass modifications, and get rid of any concern, if you spot the cash.

Anyways thought I would inform everyone, in case anyone else has the problems.

TomS

Good tips, obviously coming from a lot of frustration (been there before).

I always hated bean bags.  Stupid cats used them for a litter pan, which made the case easy for getting rid of them (the chairs, that is) :icon_twisted:

Tom

JEaton

Also use mac address filtering or something

MAC address filtering offers little security, since MAC addresses are broadcast in plain text during network authentication, meaning that anyone can see them with some simple software and then spoof the address.  Same thing with not broadcasting your SSID.  It doesn't hurt to do, but it offers no security.  Use WPA encryption with a _long_ passphrase.  Don't even bother using WEP, as it can be cracked in minutes.

as if your neighbors steal internet from you it messes with the signal for some reason, and makes your computer get dropped and reconnect, sometimes it takes long enough the Squeezebox can run it's buffer out.

For some reason?  If you have others on your wireless network, it will reduce the available wireless bandwidth, perhaps considerably.  That's a significant impedement to smooth music playing when streaming wirelessly.  Not to mention the 1001 other reasons you don't someone you don't know on your network.

Folsom

There are few people really interested in going to the lengths of spoof MAC addresses etc... I would not worry about that. No one ever gets on our network when there is any sort of deterrence. If you lived next to a college campus yeah maybe then, but aside from that.

Some reason has nothing to do with the bandwidth in this situation. I am not sure if the signal strength lowers because it is stressing the router or possibly there is some sort of interference inherent with the situation. If they are using the internet they could not be stressing the wireless network, the internet's speed is so much lower than the network, you would never notice, the bandwidth amount is just too low. I am starting to think perhaps the common wireless router does not have as much juice backing it's wireless device.

Greg Erskine

I always hated bean bags.  Stupid cats used them for a litter pan, which made the case easy for getting rid of them (the chairs, that is) :icon_twisted:

Mate, I agree. A couple of times, after a night on the turps, I've come home and decided to have a rest on the bean bag before retiring. Geez, there is only one thing worst that being soaked in cat's PlSS and yes.... I threw the bag away and swore never to have one again.

BTW: Sqeezeboxes and Transporters are cat friendly.