What are your favorite Audiophile magazines

Yomaha

What are your favorite Audiophile magazines
« on: 14 Jun 2019, 08:08 pm »
I love the forums and the internets, but I'd also like to get something I can hold in my hands and read.  What are the best hifi magazines with the least amount of BS?  I know there are a few obvious names in the space like Stereophile, but I have never subscribed to any of them.  Wondering which ones are worth their asking price.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Re: What are your favorite Audiophile magazines
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2019, 02:13 am »
Hi Yomaha,
   There is one that I think was tops. It was called Listener. Art Dudley from Stereophile was the head editor It was the size of a Reader's Digest and was packed with great photos. A lot of effort was given to show the craft of smaller obscure Hi-fi start ups as well as state of the art stuff Many of the Stereophile guys were on the staff. It was late 90's to early 2000's or until Art joined Stereophile. I saved all my issues and cherish them...Mark

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2019, 04:46 am »
My favorite is The Absolute Sound as I prefer their editorial stance.  Some magazines out there have recently started advocating "it don't matter as long as it sounds good to you." (ahem, Guttenberg, et al).  Which is fine but then when I go listen to actual bands/orchestras/etc it's quite a shock.  And "sounds good to me" has changed over time.

One I've been curious about is Hi Fi Plus but I've never seen it anyway.  There are some nice Scandinavians magazines if you speak the language.

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2019, 12:59 pm »
Mark, Listener sounds awesome. Something on the lesser known or independent companies, like some of the board members would be cool.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2019, 02:58 pm »
Hi Yomaha,
   There is one that I think was tops. It was called Listener. Art Dudley from Stereophile was the head editor It was the size of a Reader's Digest and was packed with great photos. A lot of effort was given to show the craft of smaller obscure Hi-fi start ups as well as state of the art stuff Many of the Stereophile guys were on the staff. It was late 90's to early 2000's or until Art joined Stereophile. I saved all my issues and cherish them...Mark

Agree 100%. Art did a great job. The old Absolute Sound [ smaller version] as well when HP ran it, now way to political. Same with Stereophile.

charles

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2019, 07:33 pm »
Hi Yomaha,
   I'd like to send you a copy of Listener because you are polite and you listened to me. There are others on these audio forums who just linger to shit on my spelling and avoid the subject presented to the table. It's on me. Yomaha, here is my email so I can get your shipping address...(kordamark@gmail.com)

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2019, 07:54 pm »
I still subscribe to Stereophile and Absolute Sound. I started with Stereophile when it was a half size sheet typed and mimeographed by Gordon and his wife back in Philly. The original reviewer lineup with the Absolute Sound were top rate IMO. AHC, PHD, etc.
I like Stereophile because of the measured technical performance section along with the subjective reviews. 

Yomaha

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2019, 08:30 pm »
Hi Yomaha,
   I'd like to send you a copy of Listener because you are polite and you listened to me. There are others on these audio forums who just linger to shit on my spelling and avoid the subject presented to the table. It's on me. Yomaha, here is my email so I can get your shipping address...(kordamark@gmail.com)

Mark - you rock!!!  Address sent along with many thanks!

Yomaha

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2019, 07:10 pm »
Mark - you rock!!!  Address sent along with many thanks!

OK - so I got these super cool Listener magazines in the mail today from Mark.  Thank you so much!  It is really cool to see the old ads for Pass labs, Nordst, Kimber, VPI, etc.  There are alot of brands in there as well that I don't recognize. 

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2019, 09:28 pm »
Hi Yomaha,
   Thanks for saying thanks. .....Mark

fredgarvin

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2019, 10:41 pm »
I like to read audioXpress to keep up with the developments and news without the breathy pontificating-

https://www.audioxpress.com/

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2019, 10:45 am »
The best I had seen was TAS in the era they didnt accept advertisers, it was the small Readers Digest size.

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2019, 11:36 am »
I have read TAS and Stereophile magazines for years and some British audio magazines, I tend to like the British mags more. I don’t take them very seriously and just read them for fun. I think the write ups on equipment are useful to see the engineering and basic operations of gear but they always write wonderful and flowery praise that is just over the top. Every high priced speaker is the best they have ever heard! It is actually comical, since this happens so consistently. I would like to know the follow up on equipment after a few years of use, when something has failed and how well did the manufacturing make good on warranty or service work. When the $70k speaker has a bad part during a TAS review, the company quickly sends out another pair for review and pays shipping all around, but would the buyer get that service? We know why a reviewer would!!!! Haha...The British mags are more tame with the evaluations, making me wonder what the American reviewers are getting in return from manufacturers.