TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two
« Reply #20 on: 27 Mar 2013, 03:28 pm »
Hi Tom,

I too would really like to be on the tour. I'm in the Seattle area and tried to buy the amp Freo-1 was selling.

Thanks,

Greg

hikerjav

« Reply #21 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:05 pm »
Tom,

I've followed your first tour "dirty dozen" and eventually bought the MG3 for my Klipsch forte ii. I recently called Jan (didn't expect to talk to him directly) and will be sending my amp in for a MK II capacitor upgrade.

I do have a couple of questions: 1) which 12v batter are you using? In your previous thread you listed 3 but they all had different ah's; 2) i'm on Los Angeles and do you think any of the guys listed wouldn't mind having an open session for other to come by and listen?

Thanks for your time,
Javier

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:30 pm »
Tom,

I've followed your first tour "dirty dozen" and eventually bought the MG3 for my Klipsch forte ii. I recently called Jan (didn't expect to talk to him directly) and will be sending my amp in for a MK II capacitor upgrade.

I do have a couple of questions: 1) which 12v batter are you using? In your previous thread you listed 3 but they all had different ah's; 2) i'm on Los Angeles and do you think any of the guys listed wouldn't mind having an open session for other to come by and listen?

Thanks for your time,
Javier

Tomorrow, the 12v Hawker Cyclon will be here. I will give it a serious spin before it goes on tour next week.

electriceye

« Reply #23 on: 27 Mar 2013, 04:40 pm »
What are the most notable differences in sound Ozarktom? Sounds like the upgrade is a no-brainer but would still like to know the difference.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 27 Mar 2013, 05:01 pm »
What are the most notable differences in sound Ozarktom? Sounds like the upgrade is a no-brainer but would still like to know the difference.

What can I say but everything. :D

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #25 on: 28 Mar 2013, 03:12 am »
Hi Tom,

I too would really like to be on the tour. I'm in the Seattle area and tried to buy the amp Freo-1 was selling.

Thanks,

Greg

Hey Greg

I am in the Tri-Cities, if you ever get this way I can make arrangements for you to hear the amp. I will have the MK II here next week, and have the later version of the MK i on hand with the upgraded power supply stage.

I know its a ways,a but if you ever make it over this way, something could be arranged.

Regards
Mister Pig

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm »
Mr Pig,

Very kind of you, I would love to come by and take a listen to your set up. I don't get to that neck of the woods very often but I do end up in Yakima and Spokane a couple of times a year so maybe then. I used to go every year when I was young and crazy to watch the hydro races, glad I made it past that time in my life!

Take Care,

Greg

ejfud

« Reply #27 on: 30 Mar 2013, 03:39 am »
I'd love to hear the Millenia if I could.

OzarkTom

« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2013, 04:50 am »
It looks like we got quite a few signed up very quickly this time, so the tour will start next week. Everyone on the tour, please pm me your address so I can get the lineup set in order. With the 12v battery on the tour, you can hook it up to the battery and charge while you play. no danger of blowing any fuses. 12v battery will get you about 18wpc and AC gets you 32WPC into 8 ohms. The amp sounds good on AC or DC, I still prefer DC slightly better.

Rodge827 has sent me his RWA Black Lightning, that is a great honor. I have always wanted to try one of those, I will see how it works. Thanks Chris!!!

OzarkTom

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2013, 05:40 pm »
Some of you will be getting back your modded amps this week if you sent them in early. :thumb:

I have broken in two of the amps so far, the one for the tour and one for me. I have found that it takes about 20-30 minutes for the MKII amp settle in and is better sounding than your MKI version. But, it will take about 40-50 hours of break-in before it starts showing it's real magic. I also noted a smaller improvement for another 24 hours. So there is a break-in period, but nothing like those 500 hour break-in periods that some caps has.

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:21 am »
I got my MK II amp back yesterday, it was a MK I previously...not a 1.1 which I happen to have on hand also. Ran it all day in the spare bedroom with some speakers and a tuner.

Just brought it to the main system this evening, and have been listening to it all night. Initial impressions are very favorable, for it addresses what I felt were the limitations of the previous amplifier. This amp is far more expressive in terms of micro dynamics and subtle tonal nuances. This version feels more open and immediate than the previous amp ever did. So far so good, it will be interesting to see what happens once the Millenia accumulates a few dozen more hours.

In some respects the sound is slightly unfocused, with a gentle rounding to the music. But this is compared to my main electronics, which are in the $6K range.....not $500. I am really looking forward to seeing where this amp tops out at.

Regards
Mister Pig
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2013, 02:29 pm by Mister Pig »

OzarkTom

« Reply #31 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:16 pm »
Blackmore (Mo)
Danny Richie  (Tx)
srclose (Ok)
Genjamon (Ks)
JohnCZ (Co)
mikeeastman (AZ)
Gregfisk (Wa)
ejfud  (Mn)
roscoeiii (Il)
Letitroll 98 (NJ)
rodge827 (NJ)
kbuzz3(NY)
Freo-1 (Ma)
poseidonsvoice (Nc)
JohnLL (Ga)

This is the latest tour lineup, I tried to keep everything close to minimize shipping costs. Blackmore has the amp this weekend, is shipping out on Monday to Danny.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:37 pm »
Some here might be curious on how this amp would sound on the very popular planer headphones. It looks like this person is now using the amp with planer cans.

check SMG52

http://www.head-fi.org/t/629352/he-500-lcd2-d5000-dt770-sr80-on-a-speaker-amp-emotiva-mini-x-a-100-project/1005#post_9328545

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 6 Apr 2013, 07:39 pm »
I have an adapter for using my power hungry HiFiMan HE-5LEs. So I will also try the TBIs with headphones.

brother love

« Reply #34 on: 7 Apr 2013, 06:23 pm »
I have logged-in 70 hrs. of run time on the new MKII mod of my TBI Millenia MG3 this past week, & finally was able to get in some serious listening today other than just low level background music, tv/ movies, etc..

This is an extreme improvement over the MKI mod.  The MKII version has absolute killer inner detail, better musical accuracy, deeper soundstage & is smooth as silk.

In my system w/ a recently added Amperex 6922 PQ white label gold pin tube in my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 which also servs as a preamp:

Much more refinement; as Mister Pig previously stated, there is a finer subtlety & nuance to the music.

Main vocalist is slightly more forward, but rock solid.  Instruments are further back with better separation.

I listened to a lot of familiar songs, many different genres, 16 bit/ 24 bit hi-rez & they all sounded clearly better.  This is one sweet little amp & these latest improvements take it up several notches in my book.

Note that I only listened with the stock upgraded AC power supply.  I have a 2-12v x 5 amp battery kit incl. a 24v trickle smart charger that I auditioned in the MKI & preferred the AC ps.   Maybe later I will try a single 12v battery, but right now I am loving the current set-up w/ my GR Research N3 91 dB speakers, Mac mini dedicated music server & Oppo BDP-83SE Blu-ray player.

Freo-1

« Reply #35 on: 7 Apr 2013, 07:09 pm »
I have logged-in 70 hrs. of run time on the new MKII mod of my TBI Millenia MG3 this past week, & finally was able to get in some serious listening today other than just low level background music, tv/ movies, etc..

This is an extreme improvement over the MKI mod.  The MKII version has absolute killer inner detail, better musical accuracy, deeper soundstage & is smooth as silk.

In my system w/ a recently added Amperex 6922 PQ white label gold pin tube in my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 which also servs as a preamp:

Much more refinement; as Mister Pig previously stated, there is a finer subtlety & nuance to the music.

Main vocalist is slightly more forward, but rock solid.  Instruments are further back with better separation.

I listened to a lot of familiar songs, many different genres, 16 bit/ 24 bit hi-rez & they all sounded clearly better.  This is one sweet little amp & these latest improvements take it up several notches in my book.

Note that I only listened with the stock upgraded AC power supply.  I have a 2-12v x 5 amp battery kit incl. a 24v trickle smart charger that I auditioned in the MKI & preferred the AC ps.   Maybe later I will try a single 12v battery, but right now I am loving the current set-up w/ my GR Research N3 91 dB speakers, Mac mini dedicated music server & Oppo BDP-83SE Blu-ray player.

That's great news.  Nothing like a report from the field to help put things in perspective.    :thumb:

brother love

« Reply #36 on: 7 Apr 2013, 07:57 pm »

That's great news.  Nothing like a report from the field to help put things in perspective.    :thumb:

Well, thanks to you ... I have some skin in the game on this one.   8)

sugbob21

« Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:51 am »
Hi
i had been following the previous thread and decided to just purchase a Millenia from Jan. I received the latest version last week and am very impressed. I am using Omega super alnico 6s and the amp sounds great. My question is since i am not mechanically inclined i am afraid to change speaker pinding posts , rca's...etc.   I at least want to try a battery supply. Can someone point me in the right direction as to which one to purchase and how to connect it ? i dont want to blow up the amp. Its a keeper.  BTW..speakers are 93 db  8 ohm.    thx.

rodge827

« Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:49 pm »
Are you looking for 12 or 24 watt output?

I had the Super 8 Alnico XRS speakers and were able to drive them with an 8w 300b amp just fine.

sugbob21

« Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:15 pm »
I guess 24 watt output.   i want to try the amp with battery power.  Hesitant to try the other mods but wish i could. Just afraid i am going to screw up the amp.