Quantum Symphony Pro

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« on: 30 Nov 2003, 02:59 pm »
I'm thinking of trying this puppy out and have read quite a few (some conflicting) reviews on this puppy.
I need some feedback from you dedicated Audiocircle tweekers out there with experience with this unit. Thanks in advance.
                                                                              Paul G

Hantra

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2003, 05:20 pm »
Paul:

I owned one for a few years.  I liked it quite a bit, but I sold it after moving into the new place and running dedicated lines.  I just didn't really have anywhere to plug it in where it would be effective. .

I think it really helps the sound without taking away anything. . .

B

cjr888

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2003, 06:13 pm »
I'm a fan of the Quantum Products -- I don't have the Symphony or Pro, but do have the Octave, a 6 outlet filter that has QRT like the Symphony and other products.  Witht the Octave, the standard positives applied regarding power filtering/conditioning, but the one thing I noticed the most when using it was that things also seemed more alive -- I can't really think of a better way to put it.  Always wanted to add in a Symphony or two and see how far things could go, but never did.

icefox

Symphony Pro vs Symphony
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2003, 07:08 pm »
Any cooment on the different between Symphony Pro and Symphony?

Dealer in HK said they act on different frequency of the audio spectrum. Thus you need BOTH. Sounds like scam to me. Any realife expereince?

Cheers

Tuckers

Re: Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2003, 07:34 pm »
I use one.  It adds a sense of vividness to the music, while adding smoothness.  It makes my system sound a bit more like music.  It doesn't appear to have a downside when used correctly.

The effect can be too strong if used improperly.  It can be overkill if you plug it directly into your power conditioner, or power strip.  To find the sweet spot of the effect try it a few outlets away from your sytem connections.  Mine sounds best on an outlet next to but outside of my dedicated circuit. 8)

Mad DOg

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2003, 09:11 pm »
Quote from: Tuckers
I use one.  It adds a sense of vividness to the music, while adding smoothness.  It makes my system sound a bit more like music.  It doesn't appear to have a downside when used correctly.

The effect can be too strong if used improperly.  It can be overkill if you plug it directly into your power conditioner, or power strip.  To find the sweet spot of the effect try it a few outlets away from your sytem connections.  Mine sounds best on an outlet next to but outside of my dedicated circuit. 8)

i've found that my sym pro adds depth to the soundstage and makes music sound more lively.

that's good to know about placement...i'll have to try mine on other outlets...:)

Tuckers

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2003, 09:51 pm »
I have a crackpot theory about it.  I don't grock the whole quatum level thing they claim.  But I suspect that it affects the odd-order harmonic noise that is resident on the power line.  

It either transforms it to even-order or injects even-order harmonics to the line.  

Even-order harmonics sound pleasant and musical compared to odd-order.  And too many even-order harmonics sound tubby slow and overly rich (ever hear a tube amp clipping),  the overdose effect I get when putting the thing right on my power conditioner.

Guan

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2003, 02:52 am »
Tuckers, thanks for your astute observations. I experienced the same dullness and lack of energy when I plugged the Symphony Pro directly into the same duplex outlet that powers my whole system. The overall sound using the Pro this way was smoother but the top-end seemed rolled off and vocals weren't quite right. Note: I also use a DeZorel AR Senior filter.

I have now plugged the Pro into another (non-audio) AC circuit and I'm happier with the sound. Will experiment more  :)

Guan

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #8 on: 1 Dec 2003, 03:50 am »
Tuckers: Fascinated by the usage of the Quantum on an entirely seperate circuit. They all do eventually get connected but by placing it downstream you can control the intensity. Do you have one Symphony or one Symphony Pro?

Most importantly, do you consider it an improvement?
                                                                                     Paul G

Tuckers

Quantum
« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2003, 08:50 am »
I have a Symphony Pro and a couple of Electroclears.  

The Electroclears sound somewhat different and the effect is a bit too strong on my system now and I don't use them.  But they are a great way to deal with a system that is a bit too strident.

gmeades

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:42 am »
I've had both the Symphony Standard and the Symphony Pro in my system.  I have to say I agree with Tucker's description on the effect the Symphony Standard has on the system... we're both describing the same thing, I believe, although I use slightly different adjectives.  

When I first plugged the unit in, the effect seemed to be subtle, but I definitely noticed more presence to the imaging, and on acoustic guitar I noticed the strings seemed more accurately depicted, more metallic on the leading edge as the strings are first attacked, more like someone was in the room actually playing it.  I read in the literature that the effect increases gradually over a period of about 20 minutes from when the unit is first plugged in.  With that understanding it did seem easier to notice the sound seemed duller and less alive when I unplugged the unit, but the liveliness didn't seem to immediately return when I plugged the unit back in, but it did seem to come back gradually after leaving it on for a little while...

After a few days of auditioning it, I decided it really wasn't my imagination, it really was adding more presence, and a bit more palpabiliity to the images on the soundstage before me, and I decided I wanted more of whatever it was that it was doing.  It didn't seem like any "effect", it just seemed to make the music come alive just a bit more than without it; it added just a little more "realness" to the images, and I wanted more of it.  

I spoke with the owner who suggested I try the "Pro" model, so I ordered one up.  After receiving the Quantum Pro and hooking it up,  to my ears, it didn't sound like "more" of what the Standard did... it sounded entirely different in what it did... it had the effect of making my solid state amp sound more "tubey".  Personally, I don't like a "liquid" sound, or one that is overly warm, I prefer "air" around my instruments, which is why I use a tube front end with a solid state back end.  With the Quantum Pro I lost the sense of "air" and space between and around the instruments, and it changed the characteristic sound of my system overall.  The "tubeiness" diminished slightly, which is to say that the sound improved slightly, when I tried using the Pro and Standard units together in the system...but still, there was a definite warmth and tube-like quality it brought to the sound which I did not care for.  After about 3 days of listening, I called the owner again and explained what I was hearing and was told that that's what the unit does... he said some people like the "tube" sound the unit brings to their system, while others like the sound of the Standard in their system for the reasons I had mentioned to him... he suggested I send it back to him and perhaps try a 2nd Quantum Standard in my system and see if it would give me the additional presence I was looking for.

A week or so later the 2nd Standard unit arrived amongst considerable anticipation... however I could not detect any difference in my system by using two units.  I could hear the difference using either unit separately well enough, but putting two units on the system just didn't seem to bring any additional improvement over a single unit.  I tried using two units for about two weeks, then sent the second unit back when I'd concluded it wasn't adding anything to the sound in my system.  

I've been using one in my system now for about 2 years, and think of it sort of like my secret weapon... although others might have the same speakers, or the same interconnects or amps, they won't be able to get the additional bit of realism, the additional blackness or clarity, and the extra sense of presence which I have in my system, as most either haven't heard of the unit or they're just to skeptical to try it.... when people come over to listen to my system they never seem to ask "what's that little black box over there....?"  and of course, I don't point it out either....

Tuckers

Pro or regular
« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:19 am »
That's interesting, I didn't know there is such a difference between the pro and regular models.  I'll have to try a regular sometime.  Mine does tend to roll off the treble a bit when too close to my system.  with the Pro images have more solidity and shape, the mechanicalness of the sound goes away.  It does not enhance air at all.

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2003, 05:32 am »
Thanks for your comments. Based on what you have experienced I'm going to give a single Symphony a go. I will let you know my impressions. Thanks again.
                                                                               Paul G

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 3 Dec 2003, 04:08 am »

Tucker,
I was wondering if you moved the symphony when you put it on a different outlet.  In other words, was in the same place, just powered by a different outlet?

I have the symphony, and from what I read about it, and know about it, it's placement should have more effect than what outlet you plug it into.

I will play with mine a little, and see what happens.

Randy

Tuckers

OK
« Reply #14 on: 3 Dec 2003, 05:12 am »
That's just too wierd for me ;-)  

I can't say I have fiddled with placement.  So, closer to a component does what?

randytsuch

Re: OK
« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2003, 02:31 pm »
That's just too wierd for me ;-)  

I can't say I have fiddled with placement.  So, closer to a component does what?

Inside these things, there is a microprocessor (really a microcontroller) connected to a little transformer or inductor.

I think it creates some kind of "field" with the transformer/inductor.

Putting it closer to your stuff should increase it's effect.

Randy

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2003, 02:38 am »
Tuckers,
              What did the Electroclears do to the sound?
                                                                                   Paul G

Tuckers

Electrclear
« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2003, 08:29 am »
The electroclears add a liquidity to the sound and add richness to the midrange.  It's a good way to combat glare in the upper midrange.

Used too closely to the audio system it sounds too ripe and rolls off the highs.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Electrclear
« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2003, 09:37 am »
The electroclears add a liquidity to the sound and add richness to the midrange.  It's a good way to combat glare in the upper midrange.

Used too closely to the audio system it sounds too ripe and rolls off the highs.
        Sounds like a "got milk?" commercial. Would 2% milk help prevent this rolloff or would skim milk work better?    :rotflmao:    Sorry, I must have a case of the Lonewolfny's tonite. :lol: Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Quantum Symphony Pro
« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:32 pm »
Received the Symphony and the Electroclear yesterday. I believe first impressions are important so here goes. Warmed up the gear, listened to my usual test selections and then plugged in the Symphony right at the outlet into which my system plugs into (for maximum effect). I let it cook for additional 1/2 hour and relistened.
   Much to my surprise and delight the system effects were not subtle. The highs were definately enhanced and at the same time, more natural. Cymbals have never sounded more right.  There was more separation between instruments within the soundstage. If the Symphony had accomplished only this, it would have been worth the price of admission. But wait, there's more.
    I (along with Robin) have been a champion of ERS usage. The ERS can impart a certain brightness along with it's ability to reduce background noise while ruthlessly bringing out detail. I have always been at the "Edge of Brightness" with this product as it rendered a certain few CD's almost unlistenable. One CD which I use for testing is an FI/Analog Productions sampler. It has several finely engineered cuts on it which are useful for evaluation purposes. One exception is Miles Davis' "It Never Entered My Mind" from his "Workin" album. I don't have the vinyl version, but I can tell you that the rendition on this particular CD is "BRIGHT" to the point of ear bleeding. I have heard this played on several high quality systems (All tube, all transistor and mixed) and it's been bright on all of them. My goal  was simply to make this merely listenable on my system, since it was evident it was recorded with a hot microphone.
     I cued up this puppy and let it rip. What a transformation! Yes, it is still a bit hot but the correct "Bell like" tones of Miles' instrument were now present in full force. I've heard Miles live a few times and know his tone. I must say I am impressed with what this single Symphony does to brightness and glare. It is a true ERS tamer! The midrange is impressive using this product.
     The Symphony imparts the "Iron fist in a velvet glove" sense to music. It makes the music sweet yet highly detailed and punchy at the same time. The music is much more lifelike. I regard this as a major feat.
     There appears to be little or no effect to bass within my system (Maybe a Slight tightening). Nothing major.
     At any rate, on first blush I must say I'm very pleased with the results. I had definate doubts about the technology (sounded like the Tice" clock which I tried eons ago with zero effect). Thanks to my trust in "Tuckers" and  "gmeades" earbones, I tried this product and couldn't be happier.
Thanks guys!!!! I will live with the system awhile before putting out a more definative review and trying out the Electroclear. I don't feel a need to try another Symphony in my system.
     Tuckers. I don't think your theory about the Symphony modifying odd-order harmonics is far off base. I do hear the parallel between listening to transistors vs. tubes. You could very well be spot-on.
     Robin-this would make a good Christmas stocking stuffer.
                                                                                           Paul G[/u]