Crimson

« on: 15 Dec 2008, 07:32 pm »
The latest Leopard update is out. Nothing earth-shattering. More info here.

nathanm

Re: 10.5.6
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2008, 08:52 pm »
Are you 10.5 users on Intel Macs by chance?  I'm in one of those predicaments where the upgrade jump from 10.4 to 10.5 seems foolish to make unless a new machine is purchased.  I really wish I hadn't bought the Leopard upgrade, a big waste of money.  It was dogging on my G4 MDD.  Is there anything about 10.5 that is truly compelling in your experiences?

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:13 pm »
Personally I would say stay on 10.4, the latest MacPro we bought for work are on 10.5. From a systems administrators point of view the 10.4 OS worked a lot better, they have screwed a few things that worked nicely in 10.4. If you are a home user then it may not create problems for you.

On a different note I’ve just got OS 10.5.5 working on my Dell Laptop still have a few problems but I works. Once people find out how to fixed all the issues more people may buy PC’s and run Apple OS. You can get a PC for a fraction of the price of a Mac. Imagine getting a Dell say for about £600 which would be the equivalent of a Mac at say £1500 - £2000 and then buying the Mac OS for £80, big saving. The only thing is it will not look as good as the real thing, but that’s not big deal you can spend the extra money on software.

Chris

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:31 pm »
I wouldn't mind being hooked up to an Mac file server at work, I think that would probably fix the Photoshop save issues some people have here.  Fat chance of that happening, though.  For home use I am kinda attracted to the Time Machine thing, although maybe it is not all that different from Deja Vu which I am currently using.  I was a die hard OS9 user, so I suppose it's not much different this time around.  If it ain't broke…

Wait, so you can install OSX on a Dell?  I mean, I knew the Intel Macs could also run Windows but I didn't know the reverse was true.  What amazing times we're living in, computers have learned to live together in peace!

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:38 pm »
On a different note I’ve just got OS 10.5.5 working on my Dell Laptop still have a few problems but I works.

Whoa! Please share more info.

For home use I am kinda attracted to the Time Machine thing

Time Machine sucks! No way to manage what gets backed up and when, nor is there a provision for making clones. I use Backup and Carbon Copy Cloner. As to 10.5, you're not missing much.

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2008, 09:58 pm »
Crimson no problem, rather than trying to explain it all here I’ll just point you to this site's which should help you get started. www.insanelymac.com and http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Make sure you get yourself a legit copy of Apple OS, it would be a shame for Apple to loose out on that.

nathann a nice XServe / XRAID + fiber Channels would help :wink:

Chris