Stacking equiptment

sresener

Stacking equiptment
« on: 29 May 2019, 02:08 am »
I have a mch-k38 and I used it to test the quality of my rca cables. I use it to test my cables, if I place a cable directly  over the power supply side and it really can introduce A LOT of noise. My question is if I placed it in a rack how far away does the component above or below it need to be. Or should I keep equipment like this on its own away from everything.

Also does the ac-4 need to be kept at a  distance also.

Im asking since I have to buy or design a rack system to accommodate a mch-k38, two evo amps, a evo dac, two ac4's, my mind2 streamer and my avr.

JackD

Re: Stacking equiptment
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 03:03 am »
You don't want signal carrying cables (IC's and SC's) in close proximity to power supplies or line conditioners.  As you found out if you do you get noise.  Are you buying an off the shelf rack or having one built? Most off the shelf racks will have seven to nine inches between shelves with more for the bottom shelf.  Those distances are fine if the equipment fits which the low height Nuprime gear will.

sresener

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 11:35 pm »
I am still thinking about what im doing. But I had the idea that the 3 nuprime evolution pieces should be ahead on low amp stands. and my two streamers would be directly below the evolution dac on the center amp stand. They would simply sit on a on a slab of somthing below.

The equipment in the back, I was thinking about using amp stands on a custom made filled with sand pedestal. (I would make this)

I have to keep everything low because there is a acoustic projection screen that drops out of the ceiling. (and I still want to see the equipment)

I was just wondering since my mch-k38 can introduce a ton of noise into a cable that it might cause issues with equipment even a few inches away. And im not sure about the ac4's either. (I don't have them yet)

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 07:49 pm »
As long as the signal cables are not right on top of power supply, it is ok, there is no need to keep it far away.
Just think about this: inside the amp or DAC, the power supply is sitting right next to the amp board.

sresener

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2019, 04:59 pm »
I understand that but being safe I ordered 6 stackable amp stands, I want options.

I just check all my tracking numbers and my cables, nuprime equipment and stands are all coming Wednesday.

Atm I kinda feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. :)

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:40 am »
Can we have the dac and amp standing on its side or wall mounted? I'm thinking of mounting them on the wall to remove footprint on the floor, as my living room is very small (4.2 * 4.5m)

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2019, 04:45 am »
I assume you are talking about the ST10?

It's a loaded question.  I can answer half of it.  I do not know if the internals will suffer from having gravity "pull" things around: if the transformer is mounted on a PCB, it's different to have all the weight resting vertically than pulling sideways.  This part, I wouldn't venture a guess.

The easy part to answer is heat dissipation: the ST-10 uses the top cover as a large surface that dissipates heat uniformly upwards.  If you vertical-mount the unit, all the heat will move to the upwards side, and you could be concentrating the heat in a particular area which is not the original design.  Still, it's rather cool and does not reach the extreme temperatures of class A/B or class A designs... but I'm not sure it's the best way to go.

A more technical confirmation from someone that knows the inner distribution better would be more useful, but I thought I'd share this concern.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2019, 03:32 pm »
For just checking heat buildup.. One way is to just lay a insulator on the top. as is lays normally. This will give you a good idea of 'how important' the top cover is, at dissipating heat.  Some equipment I have owned does not matter is the top is covered. Seems to be about the same.
Other equipment gets much hotter if the top is not able to dissipate heat. Or if the above cover is even a bit away from the top. Or only partially covering.
So it all depends on the particular item.
Plus it may matter WHICH END is up. One end may have sensitive to heat capacitors. and the other end basically empty space.
And finally ventilation. If the unit comes with vents.. Rearranging them (yes this means cutting slots or holes) to rearrange the flow of air..
Example
I have a SinglePower headamp. it was hot as Hell, but cutting four 2" long blade width vent slots with a hacksaw blade at the bottom case folded edge opposite the open gap topside made the whole headamp 20F cooler!

Tan Raymond

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2019, 02:10 am »
Thanks Rafa and Elizabeth,
I have all my gears covered in cloth and the temperature seems to be similar, although I did not measure it, but by feel.

My main concern is like what Rafa says, the internal components may not be able to take the stress from being permanently "pulled" by gravity.

The depth of the st10 combo with cables and space is more then half a meter, it's almost the same with my speakers. Basically I loose one meter if space for the hi-fi system, almost 25% of living room space.

If the st10 combo can be wall mounted, I would replace the Harbeth with wall mounted speakers and a small sub hidden in a corner that would make the living room looks do much bigger.

Hope the Tech support guys or Jason can chip in for a comment. Thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2019, 06:22 pm »
The transformer has a center axis screw that holds it in place to the bottom plate. The screw can hold the weight of the transformer.
It is the impact lateral force (dropping it on the floor even if it is protected by foam) that can cause slight shifting of the transformer.
So hanging on the wall is ok.  The heat generating MOSFET drivers and heatsink make contact with the top cover through heat conducting material. So heat is discipating through conduction of the alumimum case and then convention around the cover and entire chassis.

The circuit boards are all held onto the bottom plate by aluminum rods and screws, also no problem.

Tan Raymond

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2019, 04:06 am »
Thank you Jason.

This for me, brings up a whole new avenue of options for my future system. Imagine two st10m on the side and between the speakers and the dac10 all mounted on the wall with a touch screen PC display with remote control for media??  So tempting, have to get rid of my Marantz.  :popcorn:  :duh:

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2019, 02:10 pm »
That sounds great, except for the DAC-10.  The remote control would need to "see" the front IR receiver.  You could use one of those "retransmitters" that pick in one place and then retransmit in other?  What were your plans on that?

Tan Raymond

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2019, 12:26 am »
Hi Rafa,
The sensor is on the angled front panel, belief it will still be able to receive the signal from the remote. Have not tried, but will tilt it a little if necessary when the time comes. It's going to save at least 60% of space.

Enjoy the music.