Re: Antek PS-3N30 Power Supply for Virtue Amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2010, 08:19 pm »
Thanks Seth,
It looks good...looking forward to receiving mine.... :D

classicjt2

« Reply #21 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:52 am »
Hey Everyone-

I have just 70+ hours on my JT Dynamic power supply, so this is hardly a final impression, but this is what it's like so far:

The JT power supply is quieter, and cleaner than the stock Antek. How much quieter? I have to hook up the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning SLA battery pack to be sure, but it posseses much of the quietness and purity of the battery pack.

The JT Dynamic power supply is also faster, airier, and more extended in the upper frequencies than the stock Antek, which is more weighted towards the bass. Think Spectral in comparison to other solid state units. For enlightened tube guys, Lamm vs. ARC or C-J. Just fast and effortless.

Bass is powerful, deep, and extended. It's not yet as floor rippling as the stock Antek (which I love), and I miss some of its "bloom", but the Kimber PC and the rhodium/silver/copper AC plug are notoriously slow to burn-in (some say 500 hours or more).

The JT Dynamic, with its all-black, brushed aluminum enclosure, truly fits next to the Sensation. It certainly looks the part of a quality audio piece. It's approx. four times the size of the 130w switching psu, and is much heavier. Jason did a really great job putting it together, and fulfilled my special requests (hardwired Kimber PK-10 cord and matching plug) gladly. Thanks, Jason!

Much more to come as I burn the unit in.

Mahalo,

James
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2010, 05:35 am by classicjt2 »

Xcalibur

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2010, 10:01 am »
Would love to hear a comparison between the 130w switching supply and the JT supply if you have the time. 

cynan

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:42 am »
Great looking enclosure!

I was wondering if you could tell me what thickness aluminum the side/back/top/bottom panels were? (0.080mm)?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #24 on: 15 Feb 2010, 08:33 am »
I helped Jason source the enclosure for this first producton; it's based on the EAS 500 unit from LMBHeeger.  Sides/bottom/top is .094", end plates are .080" (inches).  For an off-the-shelf enclosure in modest volumes, it's a good buy and they machined the custom holes in a week!  Would a beefy brushed, end-plate be nice?  Sure thing.  However, for a first production it looks great and if you put it behind the AV rack, no matter ;-)  The components are snug and the overall package has a very modest profile, for the power.  It's considerably smaller and lighter than the Astron.

classicjt2

« Reply #25 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:55 pm »
Re: 130w psu vs. JT Dynamic psu:

I've been struggling to put into words the difference between the different supplies, 130w vs. Antek or JT; perhaps it's better if I back up a bit and describe the sound of the Sensation first.

While the small Virtue amps have a familial sound, and they get progressively more defined and natural as you proceed up the line (from One to One.2 to Two), the Sensation is, and sounds like, a different product. The Virtue amps' emphasis on its warm, tube-like, "Tripath" sound is replaced with a faster, more immediate, open and detailed "Tripath" sound in the Sensation. In other words, it takes different strengths of the Tripath design. Not that it isn't warm or natural sounding. Instead, I believe, it's a more balanced and complete design.

I also believe its potential is higher, but can be more demanding. When I tried the Sensation with the 90w psu, I thought it was a step back from the Two + 130w. With the 130w, the sound is open, transparent, sweet and airy, with a wonderful balance. Bass is extended and controlled. With the Antek and the JT Dynamic (now with 150+ hours and still breaking in my power cord), the bass is powerful and more foundational. The big supplies give the Sensation more authority and more body to the lower and mid frequencies, more fleshed out, as it were.

James

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2010, 12:15 pm »
The JT power supply is quieter, and cleaner than the stock Antek.

I'm confused! Isn't the JT supply, a stock Antek put into a nice case? Or have I missed something? :scratch:

dvenardos

« Reply #27 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:42 pm »
I'm confused! Isn't the JT supply, a stock Antek put into a nice case? Or have I missed something? :scratch:

Yes, I believe so. Maybe, poor wiring when the stock unit was assembled?
Here is the pic of the JT supply.

classicjt2

« Reply #28 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:16 pm »
I asked Jason to add a couple of tweaks to my JT power supply. I liked what they did and I believe they'll be part of the standard JT Dynamic package.

James

Nuuk

• Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #29 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:59 pm »
I asked Jason to add a couple of tweaks to my JT power supply. I liked what they did and I believe they'll be part of the standard JT Dynamic package.

James

I see. Care to share the tweaks with us?  :wink:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #30 on: 17 Feb 2010, 06:19 pm »
Guys
I will be adding filter caps across the power caps for filtering as a standard on my supplies
they will look more like this without the hard wired power cord

PSB Guy

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2010, 07:16 pm »
Holy geez, I can't wait to hook one of these puppies up to my new M901...I'm so excited, I'm practically vibrating...

Nuuk

• Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
I hope that you will all find this interesting!  :wink:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/hynes_psu_e.html

MarkgM

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:51 pm »
Hi,
I'm curious if anyone has compared the basic Antek PS-3N30 to the Astron LS10A?  (You can't see inside the Astron)

Nuuk

• Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #34 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:03 pm »
Hi,
I'm curious if anyone has compared the basic Antek PS-3N30 to the Astron LS10A?  (You can't see inside the Astron)

It looks like the Astron is a regulated supply. The Antek isn't!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:25 am »
Hey Nick,
Fantastic article - loved it.  Certainly put Paul in touch with Jason who can start building Paul's regulation circuit into his JT Dynamic Power units. 
My understanding from the Antek website is that the standard supply sags only 2v (<7%) between no load and full load.  Listening tests suggest that the units rocks, without regulation.  The additional 5.7A that it can provide beyond the linear supply makes a big difference in bass response.
The Astron supply is big and ugly but one heck of a value.  It can be dialed up from 28v up to 32v and is fully regulated.  I think they sell it for radio broadcasters and boat captains mainly (for their radio gear).  Does it sounds better than the Antek and as good as the Hynes supply?  Probably... marginally.  Look forward to someone doing an A:B, I've not done it.
I hate confusing customers with too many options and creating even the slightest possibility for buyers remorse... but alas, that happens in this industry. Should I upgrade the pot?  Should I upgrade the caps?  Is my supply big enough?  Options = anxiety, sorry.
The good news is that we're letting our customers try stuff cheaply and giving them a taste of the high, highend, on a budget.  We're not tacking on a big premium or hiding components behind a curtain.  You can price shop our supplies - go ahead. 
I urge all of my customers to buy what you can afford and enjoy the music.  That's the big idea here at Virtue.
Seth

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:27 am »
Can't seem to edit that post... to clarify... the 130w supply is a regulated switching supply, 4.3A.  The Antek is a 10A, nearly linear supply... 5.7A more on tap.

Nuuk

• Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2010, 09:10 am »
Does it sounds better than the Antek and as good as the Hynes supply?  Probably... marginally.  Look forward to someone doing an A:B, I've not done it.

In my own experience, the Pedja Rogic regulated supply works better than one using simple regulators (which I presume the Astron does, given its price). The PH supply clearly bettered the Pedja Rogic regulated supply, so I would be very surprised if the Astron was as good as the PH.  :wink:
The size of the PH supply is 4 inches by 2 inches, and with an appropriate heatsink I think that it will fit in the same case that Jason has used for the Antek supply. If it does, Jason should be able to quote a price for a 'complete' plug-and-play version.

If anybody is confused, here's a PSU summary.

Virtue 24 SMPS  :)

Virtue 30V SMPS  :D

Basic linear PSU (eg Antek)  :icon_lol:

Regulated linear supply  :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

PH supply  :drool:

(I haven't tried a good battery supply)

MarkgM

« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
The Antek is a 10A, nearly linear supply... 5.7A more on tap.

Ok.  I'm not sure what regulation means.  Is there regulation with just a transformer, rectifier bridge, and output caps?  What makes a "near linear" supply?

TIA -
Mark

Nuuk

• Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2010, 08:21 pm »
Ok.  I'm not sure what regulation means.  Is there regulation with just a transformer, rectifier bridge, and output caps?  What makes a "near linear" supply?

TIA -
Mark

With a basic linear power supply, the output voltage of the supply can fluctuate according to the supply voltage.

Using some sort of regulation will fix the output supply at a certain voltage.

Regulation can also improve the quality of the supply by reducing ripple and noise.

A supply is either linear or not. Just like a lady can't be a nearly pregnant!  :wink: