Sub plate amp question

rtate

Sub plate amp question
« on: 9 Jan 2021, 11:55 pm »
What is everyone using ?
High-level or lo-level inputs and what is the difference ?

rtate

Re: A370PEQ hook up question
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2021, 04:48 pm »
Surprised that I haven't gotten any reply's on this yet.
I was wondering if there is any difference in sound quality for hooking up  my A370PEQ amp
I had heard or read somewhere that using the "hi-level" i.e. speaker level inputs connected to the main power amp will "infuse" some of the main amps tonal qualities on the A370.
Don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing.
Prior to this I had always though that using the lo-level signal would be the best way to go.
In my specific situation I have either a Pass Labs F5 Class A or one of Folsom's original design chip amps driving the high frequencies

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Sub plate amp question
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:11 pm »
I've used the high level inputs in the past when I used an intigrated amp but since going to separates I use the low level ones.

With the high level inputs I cannot use an in-line filter before the power amp to limit the low frequencies that get to the monitors.

jn316

Re: A370PEQ hook up question
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2021, 05:27 pm »
Surprised that I haven't gotten any reply's on this yet.
You might want to do a search on it if you haven't already. I know this topic has been covered before...maybe many times.
I think most use the line level to take advantage of the 370 amp.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2021, 09:44 pm »
I prefer line level.  It gives a slightly cleaner sound than speaker level.  But really the difference is pretty small.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2021, 03:16 am »
Tyson is correct.

rtate

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2021, 02:49 pm »
OK, Line level it is !
I found connecting any sort of bigger speaker cable was always an issue with the High level posts. 

So , I know it's probably much debated but is it better to have the plate amps closer to the speaker
i.e.  longer interconnect and short speaker cable or short interconnect and longer speaker cable ?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2021, 02:58 pm »
The only length that really matters is the length from the plate amp to the sub drivers, they need to be as short as is reasonable. The line level interconnect for the plate amp can be as long as needed.

rtate

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2021, 06:12 pm »
Thanks Hobbs, can you explain why it's better ?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2021, 06:53 pm »
The amps need to be close to the drivers mostly due to the servo circuits. They're far more sensitive to the length than the main signal lines.

morganc

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2021, 02:34 am »
Don’t mean to derail your thread and please delete if it’s inappropriate, but it would be amazing if there was a video or tutorial on how to adjust the servo settings and calibrate bass.  I now have two dual Subs and now need to fine tune them,  if anyone has guidance, I’m grateful in advance!

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2021, 02:56 am »
Don’t mean to derail your thread and please delete if it’s inappropriate, but it would be amazing if there was a video or tutorial on how to adjust the servo settings and calibrate bass.  I now have two dual Subs and now need to fine tune them,  if anyone has guidance, I’m grateful in advance!

We've been begging Danny to do this for a while now.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2021, 03:26 am »
Wish I could remember which video it was, but there was one of of the YouTube video’s that cleared a lot of stuff up for me.

Learned enough so that I made a few adjustments and I’m fairly comfortable with it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2021, 04:32 pm »
We've been begging Danny to do this for a while now.

I'm going to do one.

tom739

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2021, 10:16 pm »
What is the max length for the servo cable?

What is the best way to connect the cables, both the voice coil and servo to the amps? Is everyone using a 4 way Speakon connector? If so, is the Speakon at the Amp end, or woofer end?

Is there a document describing best practices for building the open baffle subs?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2021, 11:17 pm »
Use the wire that comes with the amp. Don’t add any more to it. Put the speak-on on the speaker and the end f the amp’s wires.

There should be plans for the H-Frames on Danny’s website.

jn316

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2021, 11:37 pm »
What is the max length for the servo cable?

What is the best way to connect the cables, both the voice coil and servo to the amps? Is everyone using a 4 way Speakon connector? If so, is the Speakon at the Amp end, or woofer end?

Is there a document describing best practices for building the open baffle subs?

Check out the" GR Research Build Thread" sticky on this forum. Also, a search will bring up some other builds as well.