SP3 Dolby Vision - success?

derekcooper

SP3 Dolby Vision - success?
« on: 26 Jan 2021, 04:49 pm »
Morning SP3 Users,

Has anyone been successful in getting their SP3 to handshake with Dolby Vision?

I upgraded to the most recent HDMI board and firmware thinking I could route HDMI through the unit instead of bypassing the SP3, but after all my efforts, no hand-shake with Dolby Vision. I can get HDR.

SP3
  Serial # 522
  Firmware: u2021.01a 21
  HDMI Board: HSR82T, rev C, uC rev 50-29

Using high-end Extron HDMI cables - they handshake no problem from my Apple TV and Pioneer BDP-85FD blu-ray player with my LG OLED TV.

Thanks - and stay healthy!

gbaby

Re: SP3 Dolby Vision - success?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm »
I don't think you understand how DV works. Remember, this is new technology so just live ATMOS, the SP3 does not play it. Just use the optical output of your TV and forget about it.

derekcooper

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2021, 10:43 pm »
Um, I kinda do know - I never said anything about Atmos. Dolby Vision is the video portion of the signal, not audio. Needs a fast board to handshake.

Optical has limitations.

Why the *current* board doesn't handshake at Dolby Vision is a mystery on pass-through.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2021, 12:48 pm »
I don't think you understand how DV works. Remember, this is new technology so just live ATMOS, the SP3 does not play it. Just use the optical output of your TV and forget about it.

Optical is for audio.  Dolby Vision is video.

Optical does not carrying the lossless versions of Dolby and DTS.  I would never use that if my processor could decode the better audio tracks.

derekcooper

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2021, 01:15 pm »
Optical does not carrying the lossless versions of Dolby and DTS.  I would never use that if my processor could decode the better audio tracks.

Precisely why I upgraded the board - but not being able to handshake at Dolby Vision speeds in 2021 seems problematic. Bryston?

derekcooper

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2021, 03:46 pm »
I talked to Mike - unfortunately the HSR82T doesn't officially support Dolby Vision, although some people have gotten it to work. Bummer.

Maybe the next HDMI board upgrade will officially support it.

Have a great day everyone!

Alphonse

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:20 pm »
Well, if you go to the MDS.com website and read about the 6th generation T boards, it clearly states that Dolby Vision is supported.

"MDS’ 6th-generation HDMI 2.0b switcher-repeater module series with 4K video and eARC support.  The T series consists of three variants: HSR-1T (1:1), HSR-41T (4:1) and HSR-82T (8:2).

Designed around ITE Technology’s 600 MHz IT6634 HDMI transceivers, they support 4K @ 24/30/50/60 Hz with HDCP 2.3 on all inputs and outputs for high-value 4K HDMI content.  Also support Dolby Vision and HDR/HDR-10 and HLG formats."

What am I missing?

Al

derekcooper

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:24 pm »
Dunno Al... doesn't lock though. Maybe it's something about the way it's implemented in the SP3?

Have you tried the new board in your SP3? Do you get it hand-shaking at DV speeds?

I can get both my Apple TV 4K and my Pioneer Elite blu-ray player to lock with the LG OLED no problem - routing them through the SP3 with the new board,  no dice. *Should* be a simple pass-though, but something isn't right in the way it's implemented.

dminches

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:26 pm »
Dunno Al... doesn't lock though. Maybe it's something about the way it's implemented in the SP3?

Have you tried the new board in your SP3? Do you get it hand-shaking at DV speeds?

I can get both my Apple TV 4K and my Pioneer Elite blu-ray player to lock with the LG OLED no problem - routing them through the SP3 with the new board,  no dice. *Should* be a simple pass-though, but something isn't right in the way it's implemented.

Which input are you using on the SP3 and which output?

derekcooper

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:27 pm »
I think I've tried almost every input.

Output - 1

Are they speed rated, the various inputs / outputs?

dminches

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:33 pm »
I think I've tried almost every input.

Output - 1

Are they speed rated, the various inputs / outputs?

I thought only 1-4 did 4k.  Maybe the newest board does all 8 inputs.

Alphonse

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2021, 04:55 pm »
derekcooper, I just recently bought a used SP3 with an older 8 input 1080p board with near future intention of upgrading to the 4k board. Still using a 12 year old 1080p TV. Enjoying the SP3 so far. Apple TV4k output to 1080p and oppo 105 work fine on the older board. Hope we can get some clarity on the T board.  Al

derekcooper

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2021, 08:55 pm »
Had a look at the MDS website... "Content bearing Dolby’s proprietary Dolby Vision HDR format is supported by the HSR-T boards."

Hmmm... something isn't quite right. MDS says it is supported

"To become licensed for featuring Dolby Video support in your product’s marketing and labeling, please contact Dolby Licensing Sales for more information."

Likely Bryston didn't want to pay for the Dolby Vision branding so they can't say it officially works.

Has anyone upgraded / using the latest HDMI board and got it working?

derekcooper

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2021, 03:47 pm »
For clarity - the board does work. It will strip out the audio portion and process it while passing on the 4K signal (up to HDR), it just can't seem to lock at Dolby Vision speeds. Have been working on it for a few days - no luck yet. If you've ever seen Dolby Vision on a superb OLED display you'll know why you don't want to lose it!   :oops:

I can get my components to lock at Dolby Vision speeds with the OLED display directly; no luck through the new board on the SP3.

derekcooper

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2021, 03:49 pm »
Still using a 12 year old 1080p TV.

Do yourself a favour Al and upgrade to an LG OLED or similar - you'll be amazed at the quality of the picture. For years I watched content on a Pioneer plasma; switching to the LG OLED was an incredible leap. If you watch amazon, they have incredible deals - I bought a *returned* unit that was basically new and saved a bundle.

Alphonse

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2021, 04:20 pm »
Mike or someone else from Bryston, can you guys provide some clarity here? Is this a licensing issue? A software issue? Unknown at this point? Thanks, Al

derekcooper, yes a 4k TV is on my radar. Have mostly been looking at Sony but will look at LG also. Thanks.

Al

derekcooper

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jan 2021, 04:35 pm »
Mike or someone else from Bryston, can you guys provide some clarity here?

I have been talking to Mike - Bryston's position is the board doesn't officially support DV. I think that is your answer if you're looking for it?

I'm just puzzled why I can't get it to lock though, cause the board manufacturer clearly states DV is supported. I emailed them (the manufacturer) Friday to get their opinion. Not sure if they'll answer as they are an OEM and don't deal with end users.

Alphonse

« Reply #17 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:09 am »
Well, hopefully MDS can provide some answers and support. But I am curious if Bryston decided to pay the licensing fees or not and if that matters. Also, If your sources can handshake and the T board can not on pass through is there a simple issue with software related to pass through? Staying tuned.  Thanks,  Al

derekcooper

« Reply #18 on: 31 Jan 2021, 12:34 am »
I believe the licensing only has to do with using the Dolby name in marketing, not support on the board.

Alphonse

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2021, 05:44 pm »
Any new news on getting Dolby Vision to work?

Thanks,  Al