Surge/Filter

adamd

Surge/Filter
« on: 10 Nov 2004, 07:35 pm »
What is everyone's suggestion for surge suppression and a filter in the $200 - $400 range?
Looking for 6-8 outlets.

mattybumpkin

Surge/Filter
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2004, 08:42 pm »
I use the VansEvers Super Companion, which has six outlets.  The filtering is subtle but I really bought it for the surge protection and the fact that it doesn't limit my amp.

"M"

Ron D

Surge/Filter
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2004, 08:49 pm »
another consideration and within your budget. Never used one of these but they are reported to NOT limit amplifiers and the like...

http://www.pricewheeler.com/prod8r.htm

maggy

surge protection
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2004, 06:57 am »
the cheapest and easiest to install is a "varistor."  Shunt it between hot and neutral,  install a fuse along the hot line.    That will set you back about $1.

Suggested value is 175v to 200v

warnerwh

Surge/Filter
« Reply #4 on: 21 Nov 2004, 03:48 am »
Alot of people like the Powervar Oneac units. These are for labs, hospitals or anywhere microelectronics are used. They are effective and used ones can be had on Ebay for a fraction of their new cost.

JCC

Surge Protection
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2004, 04:07 am »
I installed a Cooper Industries whole house surge protecter. It is installed at the main on the fuse box. They work great, and protect everything without restriction. $50 to $75 plus installation.

Unlike an individual unit, they have a lot of capacity and therefore do not restict current flow. You can still use all of the power conditioning that you would like with your system.

JCC