New power transformer available now!

avahifi

« on: 16 May 2003, 01:01 pm »
We are starting to ship today all small signal tube products (tube and hybrid premps, hybrid DAC) with a new shielded toroid power transformer with double the B+ current capacity of the old one.

The musical improvements are pretty ear opening and surprised us.  Improved macro and micro dynamics, range, bass power and control, extreme high end definition and reach, and sense of space and reality.

The Transcendence DAC improves the most, but the "oh wow" factor is across the complete product line.

We can measure no differences at all.  B+ voltages and waveforms are rock solid stable with either transformer, no change in ripple anywhere in the circuits, no difference in the output we can measure, nothing at all different on the scope.  But, the audio must have been modulating the supply voltages more with the old transformer, on a level we cannot yet measure as the audible differences are significant.

The transformer upgrade is $200 plus shipping for any existing products using the old transformer (Transcendence preamps and DACs, Fet Valve preamps and DACS, and Super Pas 3i and 4i preamps).  We will retube as necessary too for the upgrade price, and of course clean all the controls and switches and make sure the unit is returned in top notch condition.

The upgrade is available now.

Frank Van Alstine

brians

So, a new 6 or 7 preamp comes w/ that?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2003, 01:48 pm »
But for the same price?
Thanks,
Brian.

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2003, 03:46 pm »
Yes, all new units are being shipped with the new higher current transformer as of today.  No increase in price.  Its just its a hellofa lotta work and expense to do the retrofit.  FVA

avahifi_lj

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2003, 03:13 am »
Hi:

Sorry to contradict the boss, but there actually is a measurable difference between the transformers.  I have experimented with the transformers in the Transcendence DAC and the T7.

I looked at the old and new transformer output in a T7 using a scope when suddenly feeding the preamp a full signal from a signal generator.  With the new transformer there is noticeable stabilization of the raw voltage feeding the active circuits.  This is the result of the higher capacity transformer being able to deliver more power.   In real world listening it translates into constant power delivery during the dynamic swings in sound.

Frank is correct in stating that it is not measurable with a meter.  This is because the sampling time of a meter is too long to read the momentary voltage swings.  With a scope, however, you can see the voltage swings in real time.

As Frank said, the scope does not show any differences in the standard measurements  we do (no ripple, “big” bandwidth, same signal shape, etc.) when testing a preamp, but during those tests we are working with a more constant  amplitude at various frequencies so the power draw is fairly constant.

The transformer provides an additional power reserve that results in a pretty amazing sound improvement..

Larry Jenkins

avahifi

Further transformer listening results.
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 01:46 pm »
We have had time to try the new high current transformer in several other of our products now and notice the same big improvement in all of them (Transcendence DAC, Transcencence Seven, Six, and Five preamps, (and the new transformer is now standard in all of them at no increase in price) and even in the older Super Pas 3i and 4i preamps).  The $200 upgrade price is a lot better value than anything you could spend on power cords or interconnect cables.  Frank Van Alstine

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2003, 04:09 am »
Keep up the excellent work... I'm going to start putting my lunch money in a little jar to save up for your products.

Al