Why no remote control?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Why no remote control?
« on: 11 Mar 2003, 06:20 am »
Just curious, is remote omitted to keep prices down or to prevent sonic degradations?  I have to admit years of living with remote has spoiled my; it'd at least be nice to be able to adjust the volume.  I'm not very concerned about switching sources.

avahifi

Why no remote control?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2003, 02:49 pm »
Hi:

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  Unfortunately Frank is under the weather and I needed to check with him to see how far along we are on various remote options.

We actually have a prototype unit with a remote volume control and remote mute.  We have looked at the cost of adding it to the existing product line and it appears to be fairly expensive to do it right.  There are many solid state options to electronically control volume, but everything we have looked at interferes with the sound quality.  Naturally we don't want to do anything that alters the sound.

The best option is to replace our existing precision volume control with a motor driven precision audio control.  In essence it's a very high quality volume control with a small motor that turns the knob/shaft.  Along with the motor driven audio control we would need another faceplate, a new chassis design (or rework the existing chassis) to support the receiver and logic unit, and a hand held remote sender.

The cost of adding a remote volume/mute to the preamps would add a bit less then $500 to the existing cost of the preamp.  At this time we are not sure if people are willing to spend the extra money.  If, however, we get enough feedback from customers that they would spend the money for a remote control option we would bring the idea back to the front burner.

Thanks for your question!

Larry Jenkins

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Why no remote control?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:20 am »
Thanks.  I was thinking the cost may be the issue.  I know that a few different companies (eg Creek) make remote volume boxes, but I'd hate to get a really high end preamp and risk degrading the sound by running it thru another pot.

Funny, when I was younger no one even thought about remote for volume!  The first thing I ever had with a remote volume was a Carver CM 1090 ( :o ) back in the day.  I'd wow people by turning the motorized volume knob up and down!  

Ahh, gear was much simpler back then...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Why no remote control?
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2003, 02:51 am »
The volume pot/attenuator is one of the most critical areas for good sound in a preamp, I really don't think adding a 2nd one is going to make you happy  :nono:

Of course, the remote implementation on the Bent passive pre looks interesting, but I prefer active pre's in my system, it just sound more like real music to me.

zeke

Why no remote control?
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2003, 04:32 am »
Has anyone tried a quality passive volume control ( Placette for ex. ) with the Transcendence 7 preamp ( or other AVA pre's )  and been satisfied with the results ?? .......

harvardian

• http://www.dipchipelec.com
APOX
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2003, 07:10 pm »
http://www.dipchipelec.com/apox.htm

Sorry about the shameless plug...

Dale

OBF

Why no remote control?
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2003, 07:24 pm »
Kevin from DIY Cable recently posted about a motorized DACT attenuator kit also.  I don't know if there is any way to include such a thing into the T7, but a remote volume is the only thing preventing me from buying one.  I have a VERY low input impedance amp (7k) and would like to upgrade my preamp from an Anthem Pre2, and the T7 sounds just about perfect for driving my amp with transparency........ but alas no remote.

zeke

Why no remote control?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2003, 09:04 pm »
OBF  > i would think a placette(or maybe a Creek) passive rvc in front of any active pre(w/o remote) would sound good w/o much sonic degradation, but i never tried it, so it's just a guess.   ??.    That's why i posted this question earlier in this thread .....