Favorite BBQ sauces

Brad

Re: Favorite BBQ sauces
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:45 am »
Well, I tried the Sweet Baby Ray's original, and I like the flavor, but it is WAY too sweet for my tastes.
 :(

I'll stick with my Stubb's spicy when cooking for me.
The kids really liked it though

Stubbs also makes an excellent mopping sauce.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:54 am »
My favourite sauce is a blend actually.
I know a Chef that found it in France I believe.

It's a combination between
Hickory Smoke (It's a smoked base , you cannot use it by itself... It's to strong)
Tiger Sauce (The original one...)
Orange Juice (It absolutely has to be freshly squeezed!!! )
Vinegar + Saffron + Demera sugar
+ a little broth..
I'm witholding the measure specifics of this recipe, for obvious reasons...
as it is someone's elses recipe, not mine.

Reduse it to a sauce, slowly, takes ca a couple of hours..
When it is just a little more fluid than honey, it is ready to use..

It's an absolute bitch to get right, as one has to really be accurate when making it, one wants the Sweet/sour balance to
be weak, and towards the sugar sweetness.

Great stuff. It is primarily used for a special style of Spareribs.

Imperial

sanlanman

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:19 am »
I have tried a lot of suaces and my all time favorite is Clarks Sauce, made in Hephzibah, Ga. (neaar Augusta, Ga). The wife and I like their spicy sauce the best. It is thin, not thick and definitely not sweet. We have turned on a number of grillers around here to it.

GO to: http://www.clarkssauce.net/

And check it out

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2008, 02:34 am »
...........and there's only one fella with enough balls to make his own??  8) aa

Come on guys, we don't buy things in a jar do we?
We make our own.  :wink:

Bob

andrewbee

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2008, 03:01 pm »
and there's only one fella with enough balls to make his own??   

Come on guys, we don't buy things in a jar do we?
We make our own.

Make it two of us :lol:

I don't have a recipe for mine but I bought a book IIRC titled "Webers art of the grill" and I tried one of the sauce recipes (tomato based) in it and it was quite good.

I have tried several of the "cheap" brands e.g. Kraft and some of the "fancy" ones e.g Stubens (?) and none are as good imo as what I make. Remember, when you make your own you flavour it the way YOU want.
It does not take long to make a batch and its a lot cheaper as well.

Speedball

« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2009, 07:44 pm »
After discovering Sweet Baby Ray's nothing even comes close to making me like BBQ sauce.

pjchappy

« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2009, 07:56 pm »
L.C.'s or Arthur Bryant's sauces for me.  KC barbecue at its finest!!!!    :drool:

The sauces rank in order of my favorite BBQ here in KC, too.  L.C.'s sliced pork is heaven.

FYI. . .for those that think "KC Masterpiece" represents KC BBQ are very much mistaken.  I find it to be crap, to put it bluntly.  The restaurant, sauce, etc.  Just my opinion, of course.

bummrush

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2009, 09:35 pm »
Make my own,ketchup,mustard,and let it be known the best yellow on the face of the earth is Plouchmans,onions,pepper flakes,brown sugar,possibly a couple more ingredients,salt ,pepper,little lime,lemon,what could be better?

10ear

« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:04 pm »
King's Delight Barbeque Sauce made at King's Barbeque in Kinston, NC. Eastern NC at it's best......

stone deaf

« Reply #29 on: 3 Apr 2009, 10:35 pm »
I have been known to make my own BBQ sauce, hot sauce, mayonnaise etc. but there are some good products that flow from a bottle. One of my favorite sauces comes from Big Bob Gibson.

evan1

« Reply #30 on: 4 Apr 2009, 01:40 pm »
After discovering Sweet Baby Ray's nothing even comes close to making me like BBQ sauce.

I agree 100% , I put it on practically everything.

Steve Vol

« Reply #31 on: 4 Apr 2009, 02:09 pm »
I secound the recommendation on Big Bob Gibson's.   If you are doing commercial sauces it's good on pork.   Also, Goode Company in Houston makes a great sauce for brisket,  But it hard to beat a good homemade sauce :drool:.   I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.   aa

flintstone

« Reply #32 on: 4 Apr 2009, 04:16 pm »

I'm with you....Sweet Baby Ray's does it for us.

Dave

stone deaf

« Reply #33 on: 4 Apr 2009, 05:22 pm »
I secound the recommendation on Big Bob Gibson's.   If you are doing commercial sauces it's good on pork.   Also, Goode Company in Houston makes a great sauce for brisket,  But it hard to beat a good homemade sauce :drool:.   I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.   aa

Have you ever tried Bob Gibson's White Sauce? It works well on chicken but not everyone will like it. I like it more as a dipping sauce.

scp2

« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2009, 03:05 pm »
L.C.'s or Arthur Bryant's sauces for me.  KC barbecue at its finest!!!!    :drool:

The sauces rank in order of my favorite BBQ here in KC, too.  L.C.'s sliced pork is heaven.

FYI. . .for those that think "KC Masterpiece" represents KC BBQ are very much mistaken.  I find it to be crap, to put it bluntly.  The restaurant, sauce, etc.  Just my opinion, of course.

Yeh KCMP is glorified Catsup...surprised the guy from NYC liked arthur bryants...I was raised on it and love it..but a lot of outsiders don't.

thebearded1

« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2009, 03:54 pm »
Cattleman's is my #1, then Sweet Baby Ray's, KC Masterpiece and Stubbs....BBQ'd 10 racks of babybacks last night..7 hours at 200 and then hickory smoked for 1 hr...just my own spicy memphis style dry rub, soy and redwine vinegar....used cattleman's, Bone Sucking, Stubbs and Dinosaur BBQ sauces for dipping....then we listened to Live Dead, American Beauty, Hendrix at Monterey and Eat a Peach all on Vinyl.....all good.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2009, 03:55 pm »
Being an ex-Sweet Baby Ray fan myself, I've long switched over to Jack Daniel's Original No. 7 Recipe barbecue sauce myself. :drool:

Cheers,
Robin

Cheetah5386

« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2009, 06:14 pm »
Bone Suckin' Sauce. Either spicy or original.

turkey

« Reply #38 on: 28 May 2009, 08:48 pm »
I find the Sweet Baby Ray's is a very good value. I don't use it much anymore though.

I make up a mixture with vinegar, pepper (black and cayenne), and a little brown sugar that I apply with a mop.

I also just apply a rub and don't even use any sauce. This is the method I've been using the most recently.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #39 on: 6 Sep 2009, 04:09 am »
I lived in KC in the mid/late 70s and Bryant's was my favorite. Loved to watch them slap the brisket on white bread. Fries were great too--cooked in 100% lard. I pick up a bottle of Bryant's sauce everytime I am in KC. The ham and beef brownies at Sneads were special too.

But my favorite sauce is the one I make which is a tomato/vinegar/mustard based sauce with a bite that my mom (Louisiana) and dad (Texas) made. Great on chicken and ribs cooked over charcoal on a cast iron Cook n Kettle. :drool: