damaged whizzer cone

bakufu

damaged whizzer cone
« on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:25 pm »
in the course of moving my XRS's my hand slipped and damaged one of the whizzer cones.  while it didn't seem to affect sound quality i was willing to pay for a replacement driver.  when i contacted louis he offered to exchanged the damaged driver for a new one -- for him, the repair was simple; for me, impossible.

people remark on what a nice guy louis is, and my experience with him over the years certainly confirms this.  a really special individual, as well as a brilliant designer and craftsman.

Digi-G

Re: damaged whizzer cone
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2023, 02:28 pm »
Why is it impossible?  Not following.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2023, 03:41 pm »
Whizzer or dust cap?

Agree on Louis, one of the best.

jcn3

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2023, 03:48 pm »
in the course of moving my XRS's my hand slipped and damaged one of the whizzer cones.  while it didn't seem to affect sound quality i was willing to pay for a replacement driver.  when i contacted louis he offered to exchanged the damaged driver for a new one -- for him, the repair was simple; for me, impossible.

people remark on what a nice guy louis is, and my experience with him over the years certainly confirms this.  a really special individual, as well as a brilliant designer and craftsman.

really?!  you can do it.  all you have to do is unscrew the driver, remove the driver, transfer the leads to the new driver, drop in the driver, screw the driver back in.

Kray

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:12 pm »
Sounds like people are reading this a different way...

The way I read it. Bakufu got a replacement driver and swapped it himself. The "impossible" part was repairing the dust cap himself

Looks like others read it as 'impossible' meaning can't replace the driver himself.

bakufu

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:24 pm »
Sounds like people are reading this a different way...

The way I read it. Bakufu got a replacement driver and swapped it himself. The "impossible" part was repairing the dust cap himself

Looks like others read it as 'impossible' meaning can't replace the driver himself.

yes - sorry.  hadn't had my second cup of coffee when i wrote this!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2023, 04:44 pm »

That's the way I read it.
Maybe before and after pictures would have helped.    :wink:

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2023, 06:57 pm »
A vacuum cleaner will suck out that dent. You are not the first person to do this, plenty of youtube videos, here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWjiBJi-adE

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2023, 08:14 pm »
Sure there are ways to pull it out, but for nice speakers used without the grills and resale value, no thanks.  :(

OP does have grills on the speakers in another thread.