Too many models to choose from

dogberry

« on: 18 Jun 2004, 01:06 pm »
I'm looking to setup a dedicated analog system with a Jolida integrated and my turntable.  It'll be in one of the apartment's bedrooms.  

I don't know that much about speakers, and know nothing about full-range drivers.  I listen to rock and jazz and some classical.  

My budget for the speaks is $1000.

Suggestions?

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2004, 01:48 pm »
I really wish there was a demo of these speakers.  It'd be cool to have a tour of the 8watt Eastern electric amp and some Omega's...  I've been very impressed with the EE on my Europa's.

I'd really like to hear some Omega's, though.  I've heard Ed Shilling's horn speakers but they weren't broken-in yet.  They had stellar midrange and surprisingly low bass.... but the bass wasn't as detailed as I like... or is possible in a full-range.  So, I was thinking the Omega's and a VMPS smaller sub would be a good combo.

Maybe one day I'll get to hear these... I hope so!

-Carl

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2004, 01:58 am »
Omega Super 3's with Skylan stands.

Add a sub later if you feel the need.
The Super3's probably have enough bass for a bedroom system.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2004, 01:38 pm »
I'll second Brad's recommendations.

The Super 3 are worth the step up from the TS3.

The TS2 would be warmer and more efficient, but the Super 3 is faster and with a future sub would be a big step up from the TS2.  (Due to the TS2 warmth, the Super 3 can sound bass shy, but measures the same.)

Bedroom rock?  (I'm probably just too old to understand it anymore.   :( )  The only thing that rocks in my bedroom doesn't need music to go with it.   :wink:

Bwanagreg

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2004, 03:51 pm »
You might want to contact Response Audio to check the status of their store in the northern Chicago burbs. I believe they were going to carry some Omega models there. If so it would be worth a drive to hear them all in the same room.

For what it's worth, I have TS-1s for front channels and a custom pair of bipolar TS3s for side channels (no rears channels yet) in my basement music/movies system. The sides blend very nicely with the fronts, suggesting the overall tonal balance is pretty similar between the two types of speakers.  I do have the TS3s right against the side walls (drivers facing front and back in a dipole configuration) so that probably warms them up. I'll most likely put a pair of Super 3s in the rear whe I get around to it.