Regulators

Felipe

Regulators
« on: 4 May 2006, 05:08 pm »
Hi all,

Any news on the new to be power supply regulators from Aspen ?

Hugh, do your plans to mass produce the so called super regulators went down the drain or just stalling ?

I'm eager to replace some PS on my CD player so i thought i ask !?

Thanks

Filipe

AKSA

Regulators
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2006, 11:04 pm »
Hi Felipe,

Production pcbs being manufactured right now, doing the instructions......

Board is large.  For 2 x +/-15V supplies, it's 114mm x 130mm.  There are four potted control modules on the pcb.

This will be fully built, ready to slot into a box.  This will add to cost, but is the only way I can keep the IP reasonably intact.

Beta tested now for the Orion crossover in two locations, works very well, I'm hoping this will be a good seller!

Cheers,

Hugh

Felipe

Regulators
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2006, 11:29 am »
:o  :o   114 x 130 ... that is a big PS. How high ??

Is this same size if +5 V ?
Can they be converted to +12V ?

I am mainly interested in upgrading the CD player , so i will be needing +5V and +/- 12V.

But that seems rather large to fit inside a CD player   :(

AKSA

Regulators
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2006, 12:20 pm »
Felipe,

A single 5V supply will be about a quarter that size.

+/-12V and +5V would be 3/4 that size, and would need to be tailored to the current draw.

Size would still be large.  Height is around 40mm, including series pass heatsinks and filter caps.  I agree, it is too large to put into most CD players, this is not actually a possibility I'd considered.  But it's still fairly tight on the layout;  the modules are 36mm x 25mm, and there is one module per supply, so four for 2 x +/-15V.

Thank you for your interest!!

Cheers,

Hugh

PSP

transformers for new power supply?
« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2006, 02:52 pm »
Hi Hugh,
Exposing my vast ignorance about transformers, what kind of transformer do you recommend for your power supply?  

What do we need?  15VAC and 0? or 15-0-15?  Or, do we want 18VAC, which is then regulated down to 15?

What about noise?  Do we want a torroid, split-bobbin, or what?  Since I don't have a clue about transformer design or how to think about the trade-offs involved in selecting a transformer, please be very basic.

As I consider the layout for the Orion ASP (mine will follow PT914=Philip's lead and use two ASP boards per channel to take advantage of the GK-1's sub out), I don't want a noisy transformer in the ASP box.  I can put the new PS in it's own enclosure, but then I have long leads => more opportunity for RFI, etc. and more inductance.  Maybe I just worry too much...  :?

Thoughts?
Peter

AKSA

Regulators
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2006, 05:24 am »
Peter,

15-0-15Vac should be fine;  best is toroid or split bobbin.

These have low external fields. Regulation is not so important, actually, and for 200mA per rail you should specify at least 300mA rating.

Cheers,

Hugh