power line treatment survey

mikeeastman

Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #80 on: 22 Feb 2021, 01:26 pm »
Truder, if you have two separate grounding rods and they are not connected together at some point you have created a potential  disaster. If a lighting strike  hits the ground the the surge will want to go to the closes rod it will then go through the wiring of the house to the second ground rod. I would recommend that you tie the ground rods together if you haven’t already done so already.

Truder

« Reply #81 on: 22 Feb 2021, 02:52 pm »
Thanks for the warning. I wil look after it, but I do know that may people do it this way here in the Netherlands. But again thanks and Ilook after it.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #82 on: 2 Mar 2021, 10:40 pm »
This needs repeating!
Truder, if you have two separate grounding rods and they are not connected together at some point you have created a potential  disaster.

Truder

« Reply #83 on: 3 Mar 2021, 04:42 pm »
I wil connect them both to each other today.
Thanks for the warning.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #84 on: 3 Mar 2021, 06:05 pm »
This needs repeating!
Truder, if you have two separate grounding rods and they are not connected together at some point you have created a potential  disaster.

VG advice just do it ASAP.
charles

Truder

« Reply #85 on: 5 Mar 2021, 03:47 pm »
Some one else did ask this question at a Dutch audio forum. It was on the topic witch I did open to ask people in Holland about Your warnings about my separate earthpin on this forum:

My house is a semi-detached house, we have the meter cupboards against each other, we each have our own earth pin .... What about then?

mikeeastman

« Reply #86 on: 5 Mar 2021, 03:57 pm »
The houses maybe attached but the electrical systems are not, so not the same thing.

Truder

« Reply #87 on: 5 Mar 2021, 04:04 pm »
The houses maybe attached but the electrical systems are not, so not the same thing.
There You have a good point Yes.
Ps I did connect them both.

Here another answer from today at that same forum .i did translation by google so maby it does have some wrong words in the text.

21 hours ago, Roots said:
My house is a semi-detached house, we have the meter cupboards against each other, we each have our own earth pin .... What about then?

Exactly. Nothing by hand, before the lightning bolt all earth spikes together in the vicinity are equipotential with respect to its charged cloud that hangs directly above it.

And believe me, nothing helps if such a return stroke has found its way through your outlet boxes, and usually only a very small part of it "hits" into your outlet.

Lightning does not strike, but strikes "back", the return stroke - this is what we can also hear (air pressure, thunder, heat) see and smell, O2 becomes O3-triatomic oxygen = O3 = ozone when discharged, and when recombining to oxygen back to neutral and we see light, the beam) via everything that points upwards the higher the easier, the charge meets the "stepped leader" a few tens of meters above the ground, and then follows the total discharge, a few kilometers long.

Actually, the entire earth's surface is "charged" directly under the cloud (cloud is usually several kilometers in diameter and height) via electrical induction, this is the first "impact", but then as two capacitor plates that are charging, we see no spark or beam either. For example, if the bottom of the cloud has a negative potential, the earth's surface will be inductively positively charged.

Lightning therefore consists of two discharges

Ctconger

« Reply #88 on: 13 Apr 2021, 09:19 pm »
I have two 20 amp dedicated circuits into my listening room. Both are from breakers installed near the top of my breaker panel. I measured both the common and normal mode noises using a DIY adaptor and a Tektronix 222 isolated oscilloscope in my house on the two sides of the breaker box to locate the quieter side. All the low level equipment is plugged into a brick wall filter on the quieter side.
The power amps are all plugged in the other isolated outlet. no filter is used here. I use file based audio using Small Green Computer i5 which transmits data to the DAC via Ethernet which is galvanically isolated.

Ctconger

« Reply #89 on: 13 Apr 2021, 09:34 pm »
CAUTION:DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT ELECTRICAL WIRING .
Hire an reliable electrician who doesn't mind this simple but time consuming task.

I found that it often pays to remove all your breakers and clean the buss bars thoroughly.
Every circuit that goes off when you open the main breaker is safer to do yourself. this is often below the biggest breaker on the panel, often 100- 200 AMPS

Use CAIG Deoxit to clean the bars, until no oxides appear, using a coarse cloth. I let this work for 20 minutes then remove the deoxit with isopropyl alcohol and finally apply Caig pro gold.
this can be repeated on the circuit breaker connection themselves but this is much slower process.

Finally make sure all the connection screws are tight before reinstalling the breakers.

vac_man

« Reply #90 on: 20 May 2021, 09:57 pm »
For more than 18 years, I have used an old Topaz EI style 10 kVA transformer that is hard-wired in my utility room to provide a 60v-0-60v balanced power through a dedicated 10 gauge cryo'd line with a technical isolated ground.  This is a beast, weighing some 300+ lbs, and with a 10kVA capacity, it has plenty of headroom to power all of my equipment, which requires less than 1000 watts at full power, without any stress.  Balanced power provides natural noise cancellation as there is a 60v potential between the hot contact and ground and a 180 degree out-of-phase 60v potential between the neutral contact and ground.  This provides a very quiet power signal with the cancellation effect of the two out-of-phase voltages.  In addition my Topaz transformer has very low capacitance between the primary and secondary and a very narrow bandwidth (I believe only 40 - 200 Hz), which is typical for EI-style transformers, so it naturally blocks any high frequency noise or spikes coming in off the power lines. That is why this type of transformer is often preferred in recording studios, laboratory and medical applications that require high quality power.  Most commercially made balanced power applications are made with toroidal transformers.  While these are much more compact than EI-style transformers (and thus, can be packaged in a consumer friendly box), the primary and secondary windings are usually tightly coupled and have a wide frequency bandwidth -- which make them not exactly ideal for power supply applications.   My recollection is that I paid only $300 for the large Topaz transformer, so it has been the best investment I ever made on any audio gear or tweak.  However, you have to know what you are doing to wire it properly, and if you hire an electrician, you need to make sure they know the code requirements for wiring this type of device.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #91 on: 21 May 2021, 03:32 pm »
A large isolation transformer, permanently hard-wired as a Separately Derived System is an excellent idea. (everything needs to be power by the transformer)
Balanced AC power doesn't add much to the equation (except expense and  special NEC rules). None of your hi-fi equipment was designed for balanced AC power.
Never ever cyro anything in the AC power system.  Cyro will void the required UL/NEC listing.

emailtim

« Reply #92 on: 26 May 2021, 10:20 pm »
I went with 4 dedicated 20-amp 120VAC audio circuits run in 10 gauge to the listening room.  Also have 2 - Equi-Tech 2RQ 2kVA 20amp +/- 60 VAC balanced power / isolation transformer units so I have plenty of configuration options to filter or go direct as some amp manufacturers suggest.  10 gauge was in part due to the distance from the circuit breaker box. 

The HT room has a 30amp 240V 5KVA Equi=Tech 5RQ (shelf/rack) +/- 60VAC balanced power / isolation transformer unit (equivalent to 3 - 20amp 120VAC circuits).  It did a great job cleaning up the plasma TV's display, so not just for audio.  The only maintenance I have had to do on it was to replace the thermostat switch a couple of times that controls the cooling fan.  When the switch failed, the cooling fan stayed on continuously when it normally is off.

https://equitech.com/model-q-shelf-or-rack-mounted-chassis-systems/

Also have whole house surge protectors in the main breaker box.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2021, 12:57 am by emailtim »

emailtim

« Reply #93 on: 27 May 2021, 12:08 am »
Most of us are just mere pikers in comparison to this audiophile with respect to power conditioning.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

The ultimate quest for audio perfection.

82 year-old retired lawyer Takeo Morita is a contender for the world’s most dedicated audiophile. Nicknamed ‘Rock Grandpa’ by his local record store, Morita paid $10,000 to plant a 40 foot utility pole in his garden that he has connected to the power grid to give his hi-fi setup its own source of “pure” power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJJy6VJvSCk

fideli0

« Reply #94 on: 7 Oct 2021, 07:43 pm »
I have a significant transformer hum in several of my amplifiers, and I am curious where it came from. I don't remember hearing that anywhere but my current house. I am using a DC offset eliminator. Both my movie room and my stereo have dedicated 20A lines.
Has anyone had this issue and knows the answer?

GeorgeAb

« Reply #95 on: 3 Mar 2022, 06:17 pm »
20 amp circuit going to 2 channel room. I replaced all outlets using commercial LeGrand outlets and attached wire using side screws. Hubble hospital grade outlet at 2 channel system. 

PS Audio Power Conditioner Premier (regenerator) used for the two subwoofer amps, two stereo amps, preamp, active crossover and D/A converter. I use the regenerator’s multiwave setting. Thypical THD is 3% at panel and .4% out of power conditioner. Initially did not have sub amps on conditioner as limited to 1200W continuous, but put a cheapo kill a watt style plug to determine watts used. In a 26X17X8 room cranked SPL's 340W, so added sub amps and am using 430W set louder than I would listen to. Speakers are VMPS RM-V60's.

Three power warts (switching supplies) use an API Power Wedge 116. The three 120W individual isolation transformer outlets are connected to the switching supplies used for NUC computer, router, and 12V trigger devices (flip a switch and everything turns on), so the switching supplies are isolated from the line and each other.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2022, 01:53 am by GeorgeAb »

MAS_audio

« Reply #96 on: 25 Aug 2022, 04:11 pm »
I also have a 20 amp circuit supplying a dedicated 2 channel room using all Hubble hospital grade outlets.

I have a BPT BP-2 power conditioner which recently has failed.  I think that it is the circuit breaker outlet which will not reset so I will be looking into a solution for this. 

Normally, the BPT supplies balanced power to my Parasound CD Transport and DAC combo, BAT tube preamp, a pair of Audiopax Model 88 tube monoblocks and the subwoofer amps of the Avantegarde Duo speakers.  Will need to make other arrangements temporarily until I figure out the BPT issue!

drummermitchell

« Reply #97 on: 26 Aug 2022, 01:41 am »
Still have the two Torus x 2(60a+20a)balanced.
Been flawless for Years.
Maybe 5 yrs ago I add Ed whole house protection,kind of of a bubble within a bubble protection.
The whole house surge protection is a Environmental EP-2050

Theronbo

« Reply #98 on: 30 Aug 2022, 02:19 pm »
I went with a reasonable priced true UPS… double converts…

Takes AC  inverts to DC & converts back to AC.

$500 … but have almost $5000 in amps, so 10% for protection seems reasonable.

Maruson 1000VA Online Double-Conversion UPS Battery Backup System & Surge Protector, True Sine Wave, Tower, Single Phase Uninterruptible Power Supply, TUV Certified, TAC-LV1K 1000VA / 900W https://a.co/d/fQ6h8Bp